('01-'02) Only 2 Out Of 4 Cylinders Are Getting Spark! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Only 2 Out Of 4 Cylinders Are Getting Spark!

I have an "01 Forester and my Stock EJ20 went out, so i bought a new rebuilt EJ20 Longblock to put in. I swapped all external parts and sensors from old motor to new. Put everything back in, but now when i try to start the car i get fuel, but i only have SPark in the #1 and #2 cylinders! #3 and #4 have NO SPARK. I dont know what the problem could be, Please help!

Last edited by Ditchdevil; 05-19-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Ditchdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Transmission: 5-Speed MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Back-track everything and check all leads/wires/etc. Only advise I can really give you to be honest. It's something not connected correctly.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car Model: Impreza RS Wagon
Transmission: Auto
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

The coil packs on that generation have common issue with grounding out, use the water mist test at dusk.
Real Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Can I get more info on this test plz
Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

In a low light environment(night/low light garage) take a spray bottle and mist over the coil and look for the ark of it shorting out.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car Model: Impreza RS Wagon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by flstffxe View Post
In a low light environment(night/low light garage) take a spray bottle and mist over the coil and look for the ark of it shorting out.
Just to make this more clear, the coilpack is where all the spark plugs wires go on top of the block, its a black thing with 4 terminals.
Real Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wouldn't it be a better test if I just switched the coil pack and checked if my number 2 and 4 were firing? And if I do that and still no spark, what sensor could be doing it? Thanks for the help
Old 05-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

are there any sensors that could cause the two cylinder not to spark because of improper voltage?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Just one thing I noticed reading back over your original post. No USDM foresters have ever had the EJ20. The only models that had a 2.0 were the 02-05 WRX.

You could change the coilpack, but they're pretty pricey so doing the arc test is usually an easier initial test. How are you testing for spark? Are you sure theres no spark or is it just misfiring? Are you getting any CELs?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry its my friends car and he said its a EJ25 OR EJ20. I'M new to the subaru world so I'm not sure bout engine codes.

But yes I've done spark testing from the plug cables and I'm gettin spark in 1 and 2 but not 3 and 4. I've also done resistance testing on the ignition coil and all are in specs. The car previously ran before switching parts over to the new block so I've come to figure the ign coil is good. So now I'm looking to do a voltage drop on the connecter that plugs into the ign coil. But I need a pinout so I know what pin to check for my voltage drop. It's the 4 pin connector and I believe the green is ground. Pleeeeease if anyone has the pinout or knows it, let me know. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Double check your cambelt timing setup. If the timing between the crank and cam sensors is out, you can sometimes lose spark on the back two cylinders.
TFBHTMFSNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester
Default Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdevil View Post
I have an "01 Forester and my Stock EJ20 went out, so i bought a new rebuilt EJ20 Longblock to put in. I swapped all external parts and sensors from old motor to new. Put everything back in, but now when i try to start the car i get fuel, but i only have SPark in the #1 and #2 cylinders! #3 and #4 have NO SPARK. I dont know what the problem could be, Please help!
So did you find out what the problem was Iam having the exact same problem after an engine swap please help thx
Mr_evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Outback Sedan
Transmission: Automatic
Default Timing Issue

I had the same problem on my 2000 Subaru Outback. I recently swapped engines with a 2001. It is still a 2.5 and everything else looked like it matched up, but we were only getting spark on cylinders 1 and 2. The issue is with the timing system. There are two separate crank sensors that tell the computer when to send a spark and what cylinder to send it to. One of the sensors is located right in front in the middle, right underneath the alternator. This sensor reads bumps on top middle gear that the timing belt runs on (crank gear). This crank gear between some models is different. Some models have multiple bumps running almost all the way around the gear while others only have a few. If you have the wrong type of gear, the computer starts freaking out because it is receiving seemingly incorrect information. There is also another crank sensor on the front driver's side that reads the cam gear over there. This gear also can have a different amount of metal bumps on the back of it that tell the engine when to send a spark.

How to Fix: This is really easy to fix if you still have the old engine. All you need to do is swap out the two gears from your new engine with the two gears from your old engine that your computer is used to reading. Then the sensors will read everything correctly for your specific computer to understand. If everything is opened up. (cover off timing system) This will take you about 15 to 30 minutes to fix.

Hints and Tips: Make sure to loosen the driver's side gear before you take the timing belt off or it will spin freely. I recommend cranking the engine over by hand until you see an opening in the flex plate in the little window on the back of the engine. Then stick a skinny, long piece of metal into that window and the hole in the flex plate to keep the engine locked in place. (I used a 3/8 long socket extension) Then you will be able to loosen the cam gear easily without the gear spinning freely. Once you have it loose, you can go ahead and remove the timing belt. Now you can replace the cam gear from you new engine with the one from you old engine. The middle gear is much easier to remove. It slides straight off if you use a screwdriver to pry it out from behind. It may need a little bit of WD-40 or PB Blaster (my preference) to loosen it up. Then just make sure to line up the timing belt correctly, and put everything back together. Here is link to a video explaining how to correctly put on a timing belt.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R58MwuhTsQk>

Good Luck
pyrothebear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty