post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester 2.5I MT
Transmission: Manual
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil usage on a 2017 Forester

My 2017 Forester with MT and 1331 miles on the odometer is down to ¼ on the dipstick. Two weeks ago the dipstick read 3/4 full. Should I be alarmed by this burning oil? Thanks

2017 Forester 2.5X
2014 VW Golf TDi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Top it off and continue to monitor it.

Subaru won't do anything at this point because you are still breaking it in. If you are continuing to see high consumption after 5-10k miles, then you should have an oil consumption test performed.

The trend has shown that MT models are more prone to use oil than CVT models.

Crippled likes this.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgledy View Post
My 2017 Forester with MT and 1331 miles on the odometer is down to ¼ on the dipstick. Two weeks ago the dipstick read 3/4 full. Should I be alarmed by this burning oil?
Alarmed? Probably not.

Figure out a consistent way to check your oil. For example, drive into the garage in the evening, wait 5-10 minutes, check the oil. It doesn't matter so much what system you use, but you need to follow it consistently.

After you do this the first time, add enough oil to reach the full mark. Then (and only then) can you decide if the vehicle is using oil... and how much... and if you should be alarmed or not.

Another user pointed out that your engine is still breaking in. You really won't have a good sense of your engine's oil usage until you put 10-15,000 miles on the clock.

BoxerFest 2015 Best Custom License Plate: EVO LOL

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
The more I read the more I just dont understand, a 17 forester burning oil, a 17 forester with gas odor from the dipstick, a 17 forester with whatever, and most of the comments are basically saying live with it, monitor it.. These are brand new vehicles and they should perform like one, period!
Jefe von Q and bumlux like this.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesubieDOOO View Post
The more I read the more I just dont understand, a 17 forester burning oil, a 17 forester with gas odor from the dipstick, a 17 forester with whatever, and most of the comments are basically saying live with it, monitor it.. These are brand new vehicles and they should perform like one, period!
I agree. I've never had to check motor oil levels on a new car--not even my new Saturn.

2017 Forester 2.5X
2014 VW Golf TDi
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Thousands of posts about oil consumption on this forum. Also a poll that shows MT models are much more likely to consume oil: Oil Consuming FB25 - What Transmission?

You were aware of the issues with this engine before you bought your 2017, so you can't really be shocked to see oil consumption. Heck, you even said "I am hoping to trade on a new Forester soon but now I'll wait till this thing is resolved."
Change_agent likes this.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

-

post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
Thousands of posts about oil consumption on this forum. Also a poll that shows MT models are much more likely to consume oil: Oil Consuming FB25 - What Transmission?

You were aware of the issues with this engine before you bought your 2017, so you can't really be shocked to see oil consumption. Heck, you even said "I am hoping to trade on a new Forester soon but now I'll wait till this thing is resolved."
I never imagined a car would burn oil out of the gate. Plus, after the lawsuit I thought this issue had been resolved. What kind of company loses a lawsuit AND keeps selling the same defective product?

2017 Forester 2.5X
2014 VW Golf TDi
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:59 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Quote:
. What kind of company loses a lawsuit AND keeps selling the same defective product?
Quite a reach saying that their product is defective just bc yours seems to be using oil. As Dave mentioned. Insure it is full and then check it under the same conditions. My experience with many new vehicles is that they don't decrease oil consumption after the first couple hundred miles.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT
Quote:
I never imagined a car would burn oil out of the gate. Plus, after the lawsuit I thought this issue had been resolved. What kind of company loses a lawsuit AND keeps selling the same defective product?
Actually, most new cars should burn more oil out of the gate than after, say, 5,000 miles. Whether the car is made in Japan or USA, the same rules of an engine breaking in apply.

Automobiles are complicated and many car makers have problems - particularly when they introduce a new engine or major component. I don't think Subaru's record in this area is too shabby. If you really, really, really want near-zero issues, buy a Toyota.

If you use forum chatter to establish what is the 'norm' for a Subaru, you're likely to have a strange perspective. How many owners write in to the forum to say "my Subaru doesn't use oil" or "my '03-05 X Forester hasn't blown a head gasket'.

If you're trying to get a more accurate picture of customer quality satisfaction with the make or a specific model year, try something like Consumer Reports magazine. The last time I looked (several years ago), Subarus got very high quality marks. . . except for turbo Subarus, which were all dogs. This just goes to show how little the CR folks know ;-)

BoxerFest 2015 Best Custom License Plate: EVO LOL
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
My guess the op may not be checking the level correctly and consistently. And I mean that in a helpful way and I could be wrong. Its easy to get different readings if you check it inconsistently.
Mine hasn't used any oil in its first 4k miles.
I checked mine the morning after I drove it home from the dealer new so I knew what I was looking at after a night in the garage.
Now I check it the same way every time, and until it gains my trust, I check it every other morning before starting her up. So for me, checking the level in the morning after the car has sat all night shows level to the top dot the day I brought it home, and still to the top dot, 4k miles later.
Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester 2.5i Tourin
Kids, you have to open those hoods once in a while and keep things topped off.
post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5
my 17 with 3K on it dipstick shows full
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busaru2016 View Post
Kids, you have to open those hoods once in a while and keep things topped off.
@higgledy has been around Subaru's and Foresters longer than most around here and he does look after his vehicles more often than most too. Having to "keep things topped off" has not been normal maintanence on older Subaru's even when new. Safe to say the late SH and onwards are where these oil consumption issues begin. On the first and second generation Foresters the regular maintanence was checking under the hood for oil leaks, burning oil was not the issue.
ForestGardenGirl likes this.
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:49 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
At 4,100 miles this mornings check shows:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crippled and Change_agent like this.
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester 2.5i Tourin
Quote:
Originally Posted by good dog View Post
@higgledy has been around Subaru's and Foresters longer than most around here and he does look after his vehicles more often than most too. Having to "keep things topped off" has not been normal maintanence on older Subaru's even when new. Safe to say the late SH and onwards are where these oil consumption issues begin. On the first and second generation Foresters the regular maintanence was checking under the hood for oil leaks, burning oil was not the issue.
I'm very aware, I've been working on these vehicles longer than some in this forum have been alive.

Yet I still see whining at the least issue that a well thought out maintenance program would eliminate many issues that long term neglect bring on.

To each their own,
dave5358 and Change_agent like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode