OH NO!! RUST!! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default OH NO!! RUST!!

I was filling up mat car with gas the other day and noticed rust on the lower part of the fill hole (where the body metal meets the metal part that holds the black plastic filler). The fist thing I thought was (SOB! My car is only an '06, 90K miles, not yet paid off, and is starting to rust!!) I'll submit pics later.

Question to all of you... Has anyone here turned in a claim for that as warranty? I'm gonna take it to the dealership today and ask about it. I'm due for an oil change anyways...

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Ok, Took my car into the dealership, and I started getting the run around right off the bat.

First, they told me that the service manager had to look at the car to determine if it indeed was rusting. The next thing out of his mouth was that they had to have a Subaru representative look at the car before they would do anything else. This said "representative" is only at the dealership one day a month for a couple of hours and they would call me when he shows up (IF they remember?!). This has to be by far my worst dealer experience!!

So what am I supposed to do, drop everything and run when he shows up?? Why can't the service manager make the call?

How hard is it to look at it and say, "Yes. There is rust. We''ll schedule an appointment for you when we can take care of it." and not, "Sorry, there is nothing we can do about it before the Subaru guy sees it. He may be in this month or sometime early next month."

What do you all recommend?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: FXT sport
Gallery: 1
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

I'm not sure how it will proceed for you. But if you feel your getting the run around, some members have had better luck getting subaru of america involved.

Maybe give SOA a call and see if they can help.

dm

Last edited by good dog; 03-11-2010 at 05:28 AM.
dwmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: 2.5X Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I purchased the undercoating option from my dealership which included lifetime warranty against rust. That doesn't mean they won't act exactly like what you experiencing. But, at least I have a document that can use as ammunition. You could say that you are posting your experience with them on a huge Subaru forum. That has worked for me in the past with things like this.
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
I purchased the undercoating option from my dealership which included lifetime warranty against rust. That doesn't mean they won't act exactly like what you experiencing. But, at least I have a document that can use as ammunition. You could say that you are posting your experience with them on a huge Subaru forum. That has worked for me in the past with things like this.
Yeah, the dealership provided this at no cost when I bought the car (but that is not the same dealership I'm dealing with now). The problem is that the rust is not under the car, by right behind the gas fill door. Where the body panel meets the fill hole, there is a small dip where the water has been standing and it rusted.

I'll get my pic posted when I get home from work...
Old 03-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSubbie View Post
... noticed rust on the lower part of the fill hole (where the body metal meets the metal part that holds the black plastic filler). ... '06, 90K miles... Has anyone here turned in a claim for that as warranty? ...
I see no intermediate metal part. The filler assembly is a large plastic collar held to the body with four screws.
The Forester has a rust perforation warranty for 5 years, unlimited mileage. You don't have a perforated body panel, but I would think that your rust is the same situation developing on the edge of a panel.
It should not be hard to remove the plastic filler assembly and prep and paint the rusted edge under it.
vintage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
I purchased the undercoating option from my dealership which included lifetime warranty against rust...
I bought one of those, and it was worthless. A 3rd party company sells a oily wax product to the dealer, who punches access holes and sprays it into the panels and doors with a wand. The dealer gives you the 3rd party's warranty that says the chemical will prevent rust where it is properly applied.

My *new* 1976 car perforated after two years. The dealer pointed out the warranty was from the 3rd party who I then filed a claim with. The 3rd party said the dealer must have missed a spot inside that panel, which voids the warranty, and anyway, they (the 3rd party) were going through bankruptcy.

Alll cars today have galvanized body parts, dipped in primer and electrostatically painted. There is no bare metal to treat with rust proofing. Those treatments can do nothing but add to the dealers profit.

Last edited by vintage42; 03-11-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
I bought one of those, and it was worthless. A 3rd party company sells a oily wax product to the dealer, who punches access holes and sprays it into the panels and doors with a wand. The dealer gives you the 3rd party's warranty that says the chemical will prevent rust where it is properly applied.

My 1976 car perforated after two years. The dealer pointed out the warranty was from the 3rd party who I then filed a claim with. The 3rd party said the dealer must have missed a spot inside that panel, which voids the warranty, and anyway, they (the 3rd party) were going through bankruptcy.

Alll cars today have galvanized body parts, dipped in primer and electrostatically painted. There is no bare metal to treat with rust proofing. Those treatments can do nothing but add to the dealers profit.
I figured as much. The application was just in spray cans from what they told me However, the warranty for the whole unibody is what I was after against rust/corrosion. It wasn't a whole lot anyway, but if I could hold someone's feet to the fire with the warranty - it would be worth it for that. If I really wanted a REAL undercoating, I would get Lin-x. Had this in my truck bed for 6 years and no issues (they also have lifetime warranties).
Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSubbie View Post
Yeah, the dealership provided this at no cost when I bought the car (but that is not the same dealership I'm dealing with now). The problem is that the rust is not under the car, by right behind the gas fill door. Where the body panel meets the fill hole, there is a small dip where the water has been standing and it rusted.

I'll get my pic posted when I get home from work...
Sorry to hear. There are several rust conversion products like Ospho. Ospho Rust Treatment - Since 1947
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmoss View Post
I'm not sure how it will proceed for you. But if you feel your getting the run around, some members have had better luck getting subaru of america involved.

Maybe give SOA a call and see if they can help.

dm
I'd do the same, ask for a file to be opened and explain that you cannot drop what you are doing to meet with the rep without proper notice. Possibly SOA will accept a picture to be attached to your file for a rep to review. That possibly might lead to a scheduled visit for inspection.
I concur with vintage42, there should be enough wiggle room to clean and prep the area.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car Model: 2.5X 4EAT Premium

posting pictures of the problem area might help here. :)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
... If I really wanted a REAL undercoating, I would get Lin-x. Had this in my truck bed for 6 years and no issues (they also have lifetime warranties).
Line-X is indestructible. I had Line-X in my truck bed for 5 years (until sold), and have it now all around the bottom of my Scion:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...FrtQtrPark.jpg

But you don't want Line-X as an undercoating under your car. It is too thick and hard, would be impossible to mask it off properly under there, and overspray would cause real problems to suspension and exhaust components and fasteners.

All the cars we have -- Buick, Scion, Forester -- are already undercoated with a factory compound, and have plastic fenderwell liners. There is no place for additional aftermarket undercoating.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: sf6 now w/choo choo

my forester has this problem
if there is enough rust it can cause a CEL to come on....but that will take a while.

saying that you need to talk to a Subaru rep. who comes in once a month is bull shizlle.

i dont hear many MY06 drivers complaining about this, you should demand they fix it.
WNC Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC Forester View Post
my forester has this problem... if there is enough rust it can cause a CEL to come on.......
How does body rust cause the CEL light to come on?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
How does body rust cause the CEL light to come on?
P0440: Check Engine Light PO440 Suggestions
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty