need help with antifreeze/coolant concerns - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help with antifreeze/coolant concerns

1999 Subaru Forester, EJ25 2.5L engine, North America

1) living on unemployment...cannot afford to pay $17.66 for Subaru brand coolant at the dealer

2) already have Subaru Cooling Sysytem Conditioner

3) want to use less expensive aftermarket antifreeze/coolant; parts department personnel at dealer don't know what to recommend

4) brands I think are compatible vs Subaru brand:

Subaru brand contents: ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, water, sodium benzoate, potassium hydoxide

Prestone contents: ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate, sodium neodecanoate

Peak Extended Life contents: ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, sodium benzoate, propietary inhibitor

5) Has anyone used the Prestone or Peak? Are they compatible with Subaru cooling system/head gaskets

1999 Subaru Forester L; 2.5L Boxer; Automatic Transmission...nuttin fance...et runz
:tempertantrum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:32 AM
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS
Cool

Any other Subi dealers offer it for less? From what I have learned on this site........it's stick with Subi coolant (and coolant conditioner) no matter what. Just my 2 cents.

Bren

Proud owners of a 03 XS & 2005 Lexus ES330
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Long thread here:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ead.php?t=2785

Bottom line is, you DO NOT have to use Subaru Coolant. Just use the appropriate coolant as called out in your owners manual. Should be about $10 for a gallon of the stuff, which you would then dilute to the proper ratio.

2002 S 4EAT
SubaXtreme Sump Guard, Lift & Bullbar
215/65-16 General Grabber AT2
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
1999 Subaru Forester, EJ25 2.5L engine, North America

Subaru brand contents: ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, water, sodium benzoate, potassium hydoxide
Wow Nissan coolant has the same ingredients. I used Nissan coolant I had at home to top off my Forester and didn't know they were the same.

Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant
P/N 999MP-AF000

I think it lasts 60k miles / 4yrs. That's what my sentra manual says. On the back it says "NISSAN LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT is an advanced formula ethylene glycol based product which uses state of the art technology. NISSAN LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT contains no amines, no silicates which may harm water pump seals, no borates that may cause aluminum corrosion and pitting. NISSAN LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT provides long lasting protection for aluminum, cast iron and all other engine components".

I think I bought the gallon jug for $10 or $11 two years ago from a local Nissan dealership. I wonder if other Japanese makers coolant are the same.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
nissan and subaru have the same parent company which would explain why a lot of things are very similar.

15 XT, Avo TMIC, Perrin MC brace, 20mm RSB

Last edited by sschmelcke; 04-27-2006 at 04:16 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:23 PM
admin

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschmelcke
nissan and subaru have the same parent company which would explain why a lot of things are very similar.
Are you sure about that? I know they share parts. But I believe they are two independent companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/COMP...ILE/index.html
http://www.subaru-global.com/about/ci/index.html
http://www.fhi.co.jp/about/english/index.html

Richard
04 XT.... 98S
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
they are two independent companies but there parent company is fuji heaving industries which is why a lot of parts and fluids are interchangable and almost seem the same

15 XT, Avo TMIC, Perrin MC brace, 20mm RSB
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: XSsss..
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
is currently an affiliate of Toyota Motor Corporation, with them owning 8.7% of FHI. They acquired that stake from General Motors, who bought 20% of FHI in 1999 to have an extended presence in international markets, and collaborate technologically with FHI. Before that, the stake owned by GM was owned by Nissan, who acquired the stake around the mid-1980s in order to utilize FHI's bus manufacturing capability. In turn, many Subaru vehicles, even today, use parts from the Nissan manufacturing keiretsu. In fact, it was Subaru that introduced Renault to Nissan when they asked for assistance in all-wheel drive (AWD) technology, when FHI told
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru

hehe

and then people are like omg! the saab 9-2 is such a copy off the wrx wagon! ...where else do ya think GM got its ideas (esp since it owns 20% of fuji heavy)?

Last edited by neoshi; 04-28-2006 at 08:37 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
yeah, and Saaburu/Saabaru (Saab) owners get all ticked off when you mention these facts. They don't realize that it probably helps with Saab reliability- which they definitely need
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Black98

Gallery:
I've used Prestone on all my Subarus since 1993. No problems. Maybe I'm playing with fire but I think antifreeze is antifreeze.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Black98...I posted 2 times about 2 brands (Prestone and Peak) and you are the only person who simply confirmed usage without giving me a bunch of goobaly garp and dancing around the brand based inquiry; I am glad to hear that you haven't had any problems

I did 3 consecutive flushed with tap water and had very little green tinge left before I put in a 50/50 of Prestone and water. I also used the blasted Subaru Cooling System Conditioner to ward off the evil head gasket problem.

Saved myself over $10.00 by getting Advanced Auto brand (generic packaged Prestone) instead of Subaru brand and over $60.00 by not having a shop do the service.

I don't know if everyone missed the fact that I started the threads about being UNEMPLOYED, but every dollar and cent makes a difference when living on fumes!

I believe that Prestone makes a good product and if a very thorough flush is done the interaction of different kinds of anticorrosive additives reacting will not become a problem.

Thank you for putting it simply and to the point without getting off track about corporate ownership of different brands of automobiles.

1999 Subaru Forester L; 2.5L Boxer; Automatic Transmission...nuttin fance...et runz
:tempertantrum
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Black98

Gallery:
You're welcome - people here are understandably passionate about caring for their vehicles. Some things about car care I'm incredibly anal about, but antifreeze isn't one of them. Despite the dire warnings about the dangers of using one brand name antifreeze vs. another, I have a hard time believing that our engines are so fragile. If you do your research like you seem to be doing and are consistent with your maintenance schedule I think you are going to be fine - and save some money at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.