Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Need advice on engine repairs

('01-'02) 
919 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bflan2001 
#1 ·
My '02 foz is at 117k miles and overdue for the timing belt service. The head gaskets are also original and leaking but only very slightly. There are no drips and no internal leaking, just a light external seeping. My spark plug gaskets are also leaking, causing oil to get into the plug wires but so far that hasn't caused any running issues. The engine hardly burns any oil at all. I don't even top it off between oil changes and the level is always good after 3k miles. So my question is, should I attempt to dig into the head gaskets & everything that that entails, or should I just leave them alone and do the timing belt kit & valve cover gaskets? I really can't afford to have a shop do the work and I'm not sure if I can handle a head gasket job. I have fairly strong mechanical abilities, but I've never done a head gasket before and I can't have the car sitting torn apart for several days. What should I do?!

Another option I've considered, is to just save the money I would spend on parts now, and put that toward a rebuilt engine. There's a local Subaru mechanic who sells a fully rebuilt SOHC EJ25 for 1400 bucks. The reason I've thought about this is because from what I can tell a head gasket job requires removing the engine, so if I'm going to do all that why not throw a completely rebuild motor in? The other appeal to this option is the gamble. This engine might give up on me tomorrow, or it may last me another 100k miles with regular oil changes.

See less See more
#2 ·
"fully rebuilt SOHC EJ25 for 1400 bucks" What is fully rebuilt? Sounds to good to be true. You realize replacing an engine is a big undertaking, not cheap.

You are taking a big gamble not doing timing belt service. It sounds like your engine is in good condition. You may be able to find a forum member who would do timing belt service for a couple hundred + parts.

#3 ·
I'm sure I could handle doing the timing belt & valve cover gaskets, but if I do I still have the bad head gaskets. My reasoning is that I could save that several hundred dollars and put it towards a complete engine. Yes, swapping the whole motor is a big job, but if I have to pull the engine anyway to replace the head gaskets, I feel like replacing the entire engine with a rebuilt is easier than tearing open my own engine and attempting a head gasket job.

Here's the rebuilt engine:
2004 SUBARU EJ25 2.5L SOHC 4 CYLINDERS

#4 ·
Being that I have done my share of subaru engines and spent enough time around a machine shop/engine shop. His price point is way off, basically there is no money in it for him. Unless:

A.) He is getting/doing the machine work for free. Crank shaft polishing, cylinder boring, heads.....

B.) The machine work isn't actually getting done.

Given the price point I am more inclined to go with B.

1st clue I don't like it, painted. Second and a bigger hint, the idler pulley by the water pump with the green seal. Most of these are single row bearings that come in the cheapest of cheap kits and are known to fail. Cheap parts used in one spot are a sure sign of cheap parts used in others. If they used cheap parts in one, it's likely labor is lacking along with it.

#8 ·
I have rebuilt my share of engines and peripheral engine components, however
all my experience is in American stuff. First, do you have another car to use
while your Suby is apart? I never liked the pressure of not having a second car
to rely on when my daily driver is apart, its just a lot of pressure if you find you
have an incorrect part or something. Anyway,I would just do the timing belt. Head gaskets are a pretty huge project, I would feel a lot more comfortable to pull the motor and bring it inside to a clean well lit environment for head gaskets,plus I think you can wait awhile longer to replace the head gaskets. Well cared for these motors can last
quite awhile, I would do timing belt,drive the car consertively and keep a close eye
under the hood. ed

#9 ·
I think part of the equation is what the rest of the vehicle is like, how much the owner likes it, how long he intends to keep it etc...

If:
-- its otherwise in great shape
-- and he likes it and want to keep it for another 4 years or longer

then:
-- Have a shop pull the engine and do the HG. The cost of a timing belt plus idlers and tensions falls to less than $200, since all the labor to do a TB is being done anyhow in the process of a HG. In the process, the valve cover gaskets, various other stuff like water pump, cam shaft seal etc, ALL are Sooooo much easier with the engine pulled.

Depending on your location, I think you could get TB, WP, idlers, tensioner, seals, valve cover gaskets, HG, heads machined and valves services, all done for under $2500 from the right indie shop, especially if you do your research, AND, you currently have time. The vehicle is functional, so you can do your research and find the right place.

But if you are unsure of the vehicle generally, then just do the TB, idlers, tensioner and WP, and watch the HG. Of course, should you desire to sell or trade, the leaking HG is a drag on its value.

But if you wreck it in the meantime of course, the money spent for the HG was wasted..

Finally, pass on that reman engine. You get what you pay for...... You engine is in far too good of shape for being used as a core......

#10 ·
I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses guys, thank you! Based on everybody's opinions, I'm thinking the best option is to take the car to a good shop to have the heads and TB done. I plan on keeping the car for a very long time. I'll also stay away from the 1400 rebuild and aim for something closer to 2500.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.