30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For many years, I've used Royal Purple 5w30 with zero oil usage in all my vehicles, motorcycles, scooters and lawnmowers included. My 1998 Ford Van used oil before switching from Mobile 1 to RP. I'm sold on Royal Purple! After my first free oil change, I'll be changing oil myself, RP with OEM filters.

Maru likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Touring SBM
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman View Post
I'll be changing oil myself, RP with OEM filters.
+1 RP 0W20 w/ 15208AA15A subaru filter

treeman likes this.
post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: L
Transmission: 4AT
Garage
Super S Multi Flo 5W30 High Mileage ...

Been using it for 5 years. Dirt Cheap. Gets changed out religiously every 3,750 miles.

SUPER S MULTI-FLO HIGH-MILEAGE SYN. BLEND 5W30 SN/GF-5: Smitty's Supply, Inc.

'99L Auto, '69 Moto Guzzi

post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 full synthetic. This is the required oil in the owners manual and the service manual for my 2016 2.5i premium. I've changed my own oil twice. I have 4 free oil changes from the dealer, and I've had them replace the oil three times so far. Didn't really notice any difference between the dealer oil and the Pennzoil.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the dealer is using some bulk 0w-20 synthetic oil. I kind of doubt they are using official Subaru branded oil for routine oil changes, but I could be wrong...

Stan.
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: FXT Limited
Transmission: HT-CVT
Garage
Ive used RP in my EJ, found it burnt easily. Quaker State sheared. I found Rotella T6 5w40 lasted the best with out consumption, burning, or shearing. It also quietened the lifters and the engine seemed to generally run a few degrees cooler. Zinc is good for the turbo, and after a few OCI's the detergents really cleaned up the motor and oil was coming out golden after 5,000kms

In the FA, Im only using Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum 5w30 until more testing has been done with other oils. Previous owner did drive through oil change places... which is mostly quakerstate. Ive noticed the oil becoming darker as it is cleaning, although Ive only done 3 OCI's in the last few months at approx 7,000; 12,000 and 8,500kms. But zero to very little consumption with Pennzoil

cspencephoto.com
flickr.com/colbyspence
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
<snip> after a few OCI's the detergents really cleaned up the motor and oil was coming out golden after 5,000kms<snip>
I'm not sure golden oil is a good sign. "Detergents" in oil is a bit of a misnomer. Detergent additives - typically calcium - don't really clean the engine. Rather, they catch and hold impurities in suspension - mostly carbon particles from the combustion process that are too fine to be filtered. These tiny particles will drain out when you change the oil. If the oil comes out clean and golden, then the carbon by-products of combustion are staying in the engine.

BoxerFest 2015 Best Custom License Plate: EVO LOL
post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
... If I had to guess, I would guess that the dealer is using some bulk 0w-20 synthetic oil. I kind of doubt they are using official Subaru branded oil for routine oil changes, but I could be wrong...
Look at your invoice. In 2015 I had the dealer change every fluid in my 2008 Forester, and the invoice shows:

5 SOA635044 Synthetic 5W-30 Oil Qt 6.70 33.50

Which googles as:
Synthetic 5W-30 Oil Qt | Genuine Subaru | SOA635044 : Subaru Genuine Parts | Buy Subaru Parts and Accessories Online

2008 LL Bean
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: FXT Limited
Transmission: HT-CVT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5358 View Post
I'm not sure golden oil is a good sign. "Detergents" in oil is a bit of a misnomer. Detergent additives - typically calcium - don't really clean the engine. Rather, they catch and hold impurities in suspension - mostly carbon particles from the combustion process that are too fine to be filtered. These tiny particles will drain out when you change the oil. If the oil comes out clean and golden, then the carbon by-products of combustion are staying in the engine.

Well, golden I guess is relative. The oil isnt coming out burnt, black, or bad by any means but it's also not fresh out of the bottle. It's as good as you would want it to be, I guess you could say

Typically calcium and and magnesium are used as cleaners to my knowledge. Moly and Phosphorus is for anti-friction and zinc for anti-wear.

The oil draining is generally cleaner after a few intervals of using a higher quality oil because the cheaper ones are leaving the buildup behind which will lead to sludge and carbon deposits. As far as I know. I'm not an expert by any means :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cspencephoto.com
flickr.com/colbyspence
post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.0D CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figure_of_Disguise View Post
Hello,

sorry, pressed the wrong button.

In US manual the 0W20 ist "required" no other Oil ist recommended!

In Europe the 0w30 ist "recommended" but you can also use the 5W30.

......that's a big difference!

Martin
Hi,

Here in Spain, my 2017 diesel owner's manual clearly says that 0W30 ACEA C2/C3 must be used for best performance and optimum engine protection and 5W30 ONLY for refill in case it needed. Same in the XT.
In the 2.0i atmospheric manual says that 0W20 ACEA C3/C5 must be used but 5w30/5w40 can be used for refill.

I personally use Motul Eco-Clean 0W30 C3 from the beginning and I have 0 oil consumption.
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:34 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
... calcium and and magnesium are used as cleaners...
A summary:

Quote:
In order to prevent the formation of deposits, sludge and resins, it is important that the engine oil contain an effective detergent/dispersant additive system.

Detergents are… derived from the organic soaps or salts of… calcium or magnesium… Detergents serve two principal functions. First, they lift any deposits from the surfaces of the engine to which they adhere to and then chemically combine to form a barrier film, which keeps the deposits from coming out of suspension and coagulating… Secondly, detergents neutralize any acids formed by the combustion of the fuel by chemically reacting with the acids in order to form harmless neutralized chemicals.

Dispersants are polar additives that are used to disperse sludge and soot particles for the purpose of preventing agglomeration, settling and deposits. Dispersants envelop particles and keep them finely divided...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=258648

dave5358 and Colby like this.

2008 LL Bean

Last edited by vintage42; 01-09-2017 at 08:08 AM.
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: CVT
+1 for Motul 8100. Used it on my WRX and will use it on the Forester. Should be subaru's drink of choice.
fozroamer and Change_agent like this.
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
Wow.. some fancy oil being used here. I use 5w-30.. any brand.. whatever is on sale when I need to to a change.
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
I was used to Valvoline Hi-Mileage oil in my jeep cherokee before it died (after nearly 20 years service.) I was going to use this now as these oils also have higher detergency and anti-wear protection. Then I read a web article by the owner of a Subaru-specializing repair shop Being very happy now with my 2017i Forester I was surprised to learn he attributes massive head gasket deterioration in some Subarus from gasket softeners used in such oils to seal leaks. So I will now probably return to Castrol GTX 5W-30 mixed with their full synthetic. I have no intention of using 0w-20 past my break-in oil change just because the government is dictating Subaru mandate it, as I have seen there is a considerable difference in anti-wear oil tests versus 5w-30 if you ever got into trouble (such as with an overheat.) I have permission from the dealer to do my own oil changes (though little else.) I will use their filters purchased wholesale on Amazon, and have to deal with the viscosity spec if it comes up, I doubt they will screw me on the warranty. (But I don't blame those of you who want to use 0w20 to avoid this risk.) Just stay away from Hi-Mileage oils in Subarus!

John L.

Last edited by John L.; 01-10-2017 at 03:46 AM.
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Subaru Forester
Transmission: Auto CVT
Here down under for my foz2015 I use 5w30 oil by local coMpany Penrite. It's high zinc, group 4&5 pao-ester full synth. Viscoscity at 100deg is about 10 and hths is around 3.5. plus Chuck in a can of liquimoly ceratec evey 50'000 kms.

Mileage affected by 5% at most compared with running 0w20. Engine runs smooth and silent as when warmed up. Gets changed every 6000miles or yearly. No oil burnt on either oil.

Thumbs up for the fumoto oil change valve I installed with the first oil change.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Love my Foz!!!

Last edited by KangaBanga; 01-10-2017 at 09:02 AM.
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Transmission: Automatic
Garage
Not being a mechanic, I'm partial to following what the manual says. Conventional wisdom tells me that if I've followed the instructions and something goes wrong, they can't say I didn't do what they said. I've got 3 Foz's (04, 12, and 15). For my 2015 2.5i, the manual says:

0W-20 synthetic is the required oil for optimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable.
*: If 0W-20 synthetic oil is not available, 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may be used if replenishment is needed but should be changed to 0W-20 synthetic oil at the next oil change.

JMHO

04 Foz XS
12 Foz 2.5X (Limited)
15 Foz 2.5i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode