Maintenance plan - is it worth it? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Maintenance plan - is it worth it?

I'm just about to purchase a 2.5 x Premium with AWP. The maintence plan was offered, but I am not sure it's worth it. The dealership I am purchasing from is not the closest one to me so I am unlikely to get the car serviced there, but the plan is valid at any Subaru dealer.

Any experiences with the maintenance plan? Is it worth it?
sullivanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Sub kit guy
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester X & XT VF39
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 79 reviews

We bought the maintenance plan when we got our 05. It covered all maintenance and all the oil changes for the first 30k miles. It cost us $600, which worked out to about $4 a month more to the payment.

My wife loved the ability to just drop it off and not worry about costs. The 30k maintenance alone is around $600, so just having that done pretty much covered what we paid. The 10 oil changes and other maintenance intervals were basically free.

Having the plan also made my wife more diligent about taking car of her car and having the work done.

Last edited by sea-scooby; 08-11-2008 at 06:18 AM.
sea-scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Impreza Sportwagon

Take it if you can afford it, now the extended warranty I would not go with - with dealer prices being what they are you can most probably do it at your local workshop for the same price (that being the percentage you would be liable for anyway)...
p.s. South African experience only!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: Forester Limited

I think the value of the maintenance plan would be situational. If you live near a good dealer it might be a good idea. If your local dealer is a rip off artist then it's not a good deal. Financing it for several years is a bad idea since you would be paying interest on goods and services you have not yet received.
I believe a company called Reilly sells MBI or Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for cars. This would be cheaper than a dealer long term warranty.
The dealer long term warranty has a huge profit margin. They have few administration costs and BIG commisions. You should avoid financing any warranty paln since you would be paying interest on such a large dealer profit margin. Among car brands in the US, Subaru probably has the best long term warranty but that's not saying much.
106rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XS Ltd
Gallery: 2

This is the first year of a major makeover of the Forester, so the reliability record is a bit of an unknown factor. If I were buying a 2008 I wouldn't bother since the record for that generation of the Forester is excellent according to Consumers Reports. They also predict that the reliability of the 2009 will be good to excellent, but from the way I see it they have very little info to go on.

For these reasons I decided to buy the 5-year plan. I hope it will be money down the rat-hole and that I will never need to use it, but you never know...

Griff
Old 08-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Outback XT-B
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

But the entire drivetrain and suspension of the 09 Forester has been used for YEARS on the Legacy.

Personally, I don't trust dealerships. I know what goes on there and very few have technicians who know what they are doing.

Just today I got a call from a local dealership that can't figure out how to install a boost gauge.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car Model: 2.5X Premium

i just bought the same car you are looking at and i have to say...the dealer talked me into the extended warranty. at first i wasnt going to get one until he showed the price/ chart comparrisons. i ended up getting the 7 year/ 75000 miles and the 3 year unconditional tire road hazard warranty. the biggest reason for getting the warranty is that in 4 years when i am done paying the car off i will still have 3 years of covered warranty. i only drive 4 miles each way to work so i dont plan on going over the 75000 i hope. also he talked me into the tire warranty because for the next 3 years no matter what tires or rims i have on the car as long as they are oem spec they will be covered if i get a blow out or bend a rim on a pot hole and it only came to 1.80 more a month. he had other things like the paint warranty, the lost key warranty, and something else which i forget. also the deductible is 50$.
Preludegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car Model: 2.5X Premium

forgot to mention i think the plan in total cost me like 1250 or something like that
Preludegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Default I bought an extended warranty on mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preludegod View Post
forgot to mention i think the plan in total cost me like 1250 or something like that
Not the maintenance plan, but the dealer sold me a 6 year/80k warranty for like a grand (payable $100 a month on my charge card, no interest).

I figure if I need one repair to the VDC system or ABS, or anywhere in the drivetrain, or a fuel pump, or whatever, the warranty will be worth it.

I have bought a number of extended warranties and have gotten way more than what I paid on all but one of them (just lucky/unlucky I guess). Worst was my '96 GMC Savana van which got well over $15k worth of warranty work for the grand I paid... Biggest POS I ever owned, and I bought it new and cared for it well.

Even my wonderful '98 Acura 2.5TL, on which I though I had wasted my warranty money, ended up needing a new exhaust manifold (history of cracking and mine did), a new radiator (freak crack), new rear brake calipers (parking brake mechanism seized up due to corrosion) and a cooling fan for the radiator (screeching bearing). Very few problems, but about $4 grand worth of repairs if it had been on my dime.
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Are these maintenance plans good at any Subaru dealership? I'm buying mine out of state and it won't be convenient to take it in to a dealer a state away. If it's good at any dealer I may just get one.

-Al-
alelser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XS Ltd
Gallery: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelser View Post
Are these maintenance plans good at any Subaru dealership? I'm buying mine out of state and it won't be convenient to take it in to a dealer a state away. If it's good at any dealer I may just get one.

-Al-
All I can say is that mine is portable and is honoured at all Subie dealers in North America. It also stays with the car if I sell it or trade it in (good for resale value).

Griff
Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car Year: 2001
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Any warranty plan whether you have a Lexus or a Subaru is worth it! I've had Hondas before and the plan paid for itself over and over again.. worth every penny IMHO! anytime I buy a car I factor in the warranty without a doubt..
liquid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
All I can say is that mine is portable and is honoured at all Subie dealers in North America. It also stays with the car if I sell it or trade it in (good for resale value).

Griff
Thanks, Griff. Looks like I'll be adding that to the final sale. :)

-Al-

PS: My Forester finally started being built today. I'm supposed to have it on Sept. 12th. Woo-hoo!
alelser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty