('09-'13) Loud engine rattle when very cold 1st 2 seconds 2011 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Loud engine rattle when very cold 1st 2 seconds 2011

I called the dealer and they said "its normal". I have a very loud rattle that sound like an engine running dry on oil like the filter check valve is not working. I get a loud clatter/rattle for 2-3 seconds when very cold and 1st start of the day.

Is this normal?
problemchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: WRX Hatch
Transmission: Manual
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

yup MY10 does it too. there have been a few other posts about it. nothing to worry about
Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

^^ One potential difference here. You may not have the same engine as problem child. You have an XT which is the EJ25 series engine, problem child doesn't state what engine he has the 2011 could either have the same engine as you if he also has an XT or it will have the new FB25 engine if it is an NA.

If it is NA, there have been a few reports on this forum of members with the new engine making noise on cold start that appears to be timing chain related.

Engine Clatter

Cold start timing chain rattle 2011 DOHC
Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester

My new 2011 non-turbo manual also rattles (cold or warm) around 2200 RPM if lightly loaded -- e.g., if just winding up and getting ready to shift into the next gear. Dealer says other manual tranny 2011 owners have complained of the same thing. I drove an auto 2011 and could maybe hear a bit of a similar rattle at the same RPM but nowhere near as loud -- can even feel it in the gas pedal. So, it's on record at the dealer, and we'll see. They said the engine is new to them, too (2011) and they're thinking it's a characteristic of the new engine/manual transmission combo. It's embarassing - sounds like dry lifters.s
graemeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemeca View Post
My new 2011 non-turbo manual also rattles (cold or warm) around 2200 RPM if lightly loaded -- e.g., if just winding up and getting ready to shift into the next gear. Dealer says other manual tranny 2011 owners have complained of the same thing. I drove an auto 2011 and could maybe hear a bit of a similar rattle at the same RPM but nowhere near as loud -- can even feel it in the gas pedal. So, it's on record at the dealer, and we'll see. They said the engine is new to them, too (2011) and they're thinking it's a characteristic of the new engine/manual transmission combo. It's embarassing - sounds like dry lifters.s
You may want to check this thread:

Cold start timing chain rattle 2011 DOHC

although your problem seems to be of a different nature.
lubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester
Default Same trouble 2011 5mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemeca View Post
I have the same noise the dealer also thinks it's a characteristic of the new engine. I hope not I also have it on record. I"ll let you know if anything come of it
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Gallery: 40
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have an 09 pzev N/A and its made valve train, piston slap noises since new. It always quiets down after about 30 sec, and when warmed up you can hardly hear it running the more I think about it the more I wonder.. could this noise at start up be inherent to all Subaru boxer motors just by design. My dealer also said this was normal the first few times I had it there for the noise. No problems so far but ive only got 18,000 on it so who knows.

Respect The Wagon!
TC2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Impreza OutbackSport
Transmission: 4EAT
Default PZEV is a gimmick and causes the noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2000 View Post
I have an 09 pzev N/A and its made valve train, piston slap noises since new. It always quiets down after about 30 sec, and when warmed up you can hardly hear it running the more I think about it the more I wonder.. could this noise at start up be inherent to all Subaru boxer motors just by design. My dealer also said this was normal the first few times I had it there for the noise. No problems so far but ive only got 18,000 on it so who knows.
I have an 09 Outback Sport, it's an Impreza so it's identical to the Forester but not as big and boxy, and I have no piston slap or valve train noise on startup at all. It purrs like a kitten from very first startup even when very cold. My engine is not PZEV. I think PZEV is the culprit. It's a gimmick, really, the way they get the PZEV rating is by putting in a more expensive converted and leaning the engine fuel mix way down, which isn't good for the engine anyway. I didn't want PZEV as soon as I learned about it just being a gimmick to increase sales.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X

I have the PZEV and it purrs like kitten. I don't believe they offered these in WA in 2009. If I fill up with gas in Nevada it becomes an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle.
It's a combination of car and gas that is sold in certain states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty