Light burned out by gear shift? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Light burned out by gear shift?

The light that illuminates right next to the gear shift (lights up the P RND321 area) on the center console burned out on us tonight. Anyone know how difficult this is to replace, time & cost involved? :wtfeyes

I looked at the owners manual & did not notice any description for bulbs or fuses for this problem.

I'm taking the car in to the Subi dealer this coming week for some fluid changes, & I am wondering if I should let the dealership do this? Any advice is appreciated. :-)

Proud owners of a 03 XS & 2005 Lexus ES330
Subifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester "S" lifted.
Transmission: Bog-o-matic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Pretty easy to do yourself.

If you want the dealer to do it they will probably charge you .3 - .5 in labour.

The bulb is a couple bucks.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
#8 Post ho

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Subaru Forester
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I had a write up with pics.. somewhere it must have gotten lost with the new layout change

I'll post them tommarow if I get a chance

Do yourself a favor and do it yourself and save the 50-70 bucks
SenorSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cool

Thanks guy's.

If I have detailed instructions, I have no problems doing this myself......it's a bummer nothing is explained in the owners manual. Also, what bulb will I need? :think:

Old 03-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
#8 Post ho

I just took the old bulb to our bumper to bumper auto parts place

One of the workers showed me all the different type of bulbs that are similar and just picked one out, and it was the right one

I think it was 1.50 us for 2..
Old 03-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Question

Any how to's? I'd like to know the procedure & tools needed to do this.....worried about 'going in blind' & breaking or damaging something.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cool

If anyone has pics how to do this, that would be fantastic. 8-)

Old 03-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
#8 Post ho

Looking...Looking...

Old 03-06-2006, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cool

Thank you Senor! :-) Did you have to disconnect the 'ground' battery termanal? Peaty also sent me some instructions. 8-)

Old 03-06-2006, 04:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
#8 Post ho

Nope, left everything attached to the battery, but I did have a problem with getting at the bulb/harness

I couldn't get the shifter assembly to lift up (hidden clip?)

So I basicly had to use my fingers and "feel" for the bulb, and then figured out how the harness was secured in there

I remember trying to get the factory bulb out, and I thought you couldn't (since it pulled to hard) but the guy insisted that I dont need a new wireharness and he pulled pretty hard and the bulb came out

When you install the new bulb make sure you firmly press the new bulb in, the first time I did this I didn't and ended up that a few min later the light shut off, so there I was, redoing everything, and found the bulb to be not making a solid connection..

Hopefully everything goes smoothly ;)
Old 03-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

SenorSubie , you should put those on Scoobymods in the contributions section, nice job.

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
#8 Post ho

The thread is not lost after all!

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...read.php?t=726

If you have any questions about how I did this or how do you do that, feel free to pm or catch me on aim sometime
Old 11-30-2009, 05:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester
Default Takes a #37 replacement bulb

Thanks to SenorSubie for posting the helpful pictures. I replaced the burned out auto shift light this weekend on my 02 Forester. Pep Boys said they do not carry interior bulbs, so I got mine from Advance Auto Parts, the bulb was a number 37 Sylvania 14v, 1.3W, I paid about $3.50 and they come in a two pack. The procedure is simple, using a Philips head screwdriver unscrew the two mini screws at the base of the auto shift lever, using needle head pliers pull down the spring clip under the auto shift thumb button, keep your thumb on the button and gently pull up the lever - the thumb button will pop out which is why you need to keep your thumb in place to stop the button and spring parts flying across the footwell - remove the lever and put to one side; unscrew two screws and remove the parking brake trim, and remove the black plastic tray above the base of the auto shift lever. You will likely not be able to remove the black trim that is the base of the auto shift lever but if you have nimble fingers you can feel the lamp mount under D of PRND123. twist 45 degrees clockwise and pull down to remove. Remove the old bulb - this will likely be wedged in tightly, I shattered the bulb using pliers so had to pull out the base using needle nosed pliers. Fit new bulb and test by turning on the engine and the headlights, feel for the hole under D and gently feed the mount bulb first back into the hole and twist anti clockwise to secure the bulb mount. Replace trim and auto shift lever, and there you go.

Last edited by Dewey; 12-02-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester L
Default Simplifying the gear shift light replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Thanks to SenorSubie for posting the helpful pictures. I replaced the burned out auto shift light this weekend on my 02 Forester. Pep Boys said they do not carry interior bulbs, so I got mine from Advance Auto Parts, the bulb was a number 37 Sylvania 14v, 1.3W, I paid about $3.50 and they come in a two pack. The procedure is simple, using a Philips head screwdriver unscrew the two mini screws at the base of the auto shift lever, using needle head pliers pull down the spring clip under the auto shift thumb button, keep your thumb on the button and gently pull up the lever - the thumb button will pop out which is why you need to keep your thumb in place to stop the button and spring parts flying across the footwell - remove the lever and put to one side; unscrew two screws and remove the parking brake trim, and remove the black plastic tray above the base of the auto shift lever. You will likely not be able to remove the black trim that is the base of the auto shift lever but if you have nimble fingers you can feel the lamp mount under D of PRND123. twist 45 degrees clockwise and pull down to remove. Remove the old bulb - this will likely be wedged in tightly, I shattered the bulb using pliers so had to pull out the base using needle nosed pliers. Fit new bulb and test by turning on the engine and the headlights, feel for the hole under D and gently feed the mount bulb first back into the hole and twist anti clockwise to secure the bulb mount. Replace trim and auto shift lever, and there you go.

This is my first post to the forum - first of all I just wanted to say thanks to all who post useful info. I just bought an '02 SF on 6/9/11 and replaced the stereo head unit and 4 speakers thanks to the info posted in other areas in the forum.

In the process of replacing the stereo head unit I learned something that simplifies Dewey's instructions for replacing the gear shift light - this might be obvious, but hope it helps someone.

There's no need to take the gear shift lever apart for the light replacement. Instead, after taking off the parking brake plastic cover, put the key into the ignition and turn it just short of starting the car, and shift the car into 1st gear. You can then remove the shift selector/plate by rotating the plate and lifting off. shift the car back into park and then proceed with the light replacement as described by others.

Hope this helps.

P.S. This also helps when installing a new stereo head unit as it allows you to pull out the dash trim/cigarette assembly.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
New User

Car Model: Forestor type S
Transmission: Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post

<snip>

You will likely not be able to remove the black trim that is the base of the auto shift lever but if you have nimble fingers you can feel the lamp mount under D of PRND123.

<snip>
This is true; however, if you have a right-angle pick with a relatively sharp point, you can easily remove this black trim base off the auto shifter. Stick the pick underneath the edge where the interlocking rectangular holes are (there are 4 of them, 2 each side) and slightly pry downward, and the trim will pop up. A screwdriver will not work too well because of lack of clearance and it is not right-angled. A right-angled pick is better.

Removal of the shifter handle is required in order to lift the black trim out. Remove handle as described by Dewey, but I add here additional instructions:

To remove the thumb button, first remove the spring clip as described. Then attempt to remove the button with just your fingers. If you can't do it, the reason is because the button part has a detente in it that holds it in. It's not a strong detente. Stick a small screwdriver or pick in the slot underneath the button and lightly pull it away from the handle. The button should come out. (Important: do not lift the handle off the shifter in this procedure.)

The button is comprised of two plastic pieces put together. The button that you pull out is the bottom half. The upper half stays in the handle when you pull out the lower half. (The lower half is the thumb button with the lower half inside the handle; the upper is the insides of the thumb button with the upper half inside the handle. The lower half is what keeps the handle from being lifted out of the gear shifter, which is why this lower-half must be removed first.)

Now, after having removed the two side screws from the handle, put your thumb over the exposed upper-half button and lift off the handle from the shifter. (This is the part where you want to keep the button from flying out.)

You will now be able to lift the black trim out of the gear shifter after removing the handle. There you will see the bulb on the left side, and you can see how it is removed and installed. From here, you can pull the bulb itself out of the socket without removing the socket. (Removing the bulb from the socket is not that hard, but may take some effort.)

However, you do not need to remove the black trim if you don't want to and are able to remove/install the bulb socket to/from underneath the black trim. (This comes from experience.)

You do have to remove the tan console trim (shown in SenorSubie's first photo, and missing in his second photo) in order to _easily_ access the bulb socket to remove it. It's held in place by 6 screws, two in front, one in the middle, 3 in the bottom of the back, inside the compartment. With this in place, it's very hard to get at the bulb socket.

Last edited by MDOC; 06-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
MDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty