Key is locked in the ignition switch - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Legacy Outback
Unhappy Key is locked in the ignition switch

Hello,

I drive a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback with a manual transmission. The key is locked in the ignition, and I can not get it out. I've tried wiggling just about everything I can, and this key just will not come out. It is stuck acc spot. The car can still be turned on and drives.

I've read through the owner's manual, and it says that there is a Key interlock release in the steering column. I've unscrewed the cover under the steering column but can not find any key interlock release. The manual does say that the key interlock release is only for Automatic Transmissions, but I drive a Manual Transmission.

Every site I've found online only solves this problem for a AT not MT. Would anyone be able to help?

~Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Did you try turning the steering wheel to the left and/or right (with some force!). Sometimes the position of it will lock the key in.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Arrogant Pilot
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: V50 T5
Transmission: 6spd Manual
Yeah, you may have to rock the wheel back and forth while twisting the key to get it loose (or at least, I had a newer scooby do this last summer during a detail job).

-Zach
MY'06 Volvo V50 T5 6MT SportWagon
I miss my Subaru.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Seeing that you can start and drive the car I don't think that it can have anything to do with the steering lock, but I can be wrong.

I'm surprised that the manual cars do not have the ignition release.
Looking at my manual from my 99 Forester it does say for manual transmission vehicles ; "The key can be turned from 'ACC' to 'LOCK' only when the key is pushed in while turning it."

Next suggestion would be try spraying a little lube around the key hole, maybe some of the lube will drip in and free some of the parts up, if that could allow the key to be pushed in a little bit more.

I'm just throwing this out there for now but try disconnecting the battery, drain any reserve power, pump brakes, turn lights on (interior and exterior) etc. wait about 15 minutes then reconnect the battery. I doubt that it will affect anything but you never know if power to the ignition might be causing it to stick(?)I'd be trying anything at this point.

Do let us know if you find a solution that works, it'll help us help others.
Good Luck

2008 2.5XS 4EAT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester
Your manual transmission Forester will not have the lock. I would try some wd-40 and try to wiggle it out. If you get it out get a new key cut don't try to put it back in there. If you can't get it out you may need to replace the lock cylinder.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forestor
Chances are your worn copy of a key has jammed a wafer. Specially if you have been wiggling it to get it turn after putting it in. A good auto locksmith should be able to replace the lock, cut you a factory key and key new lock to the doors.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by keydiver View Post
Chances are your worn copy of a key has jammed a wafer. Specially if you have been wiggling it to get it turn after putting it in. A good auto locksmith should be able to replace the lock, cut you a factory key and key new lock to the doors.
Yeah, agree...had this happen to another car. Time for a new switch (and key).

2010 FXT Limited, Satin White Pearl
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 02
Car Model: Forester L (sold)
Transmission: Manual
Our '96 Impreza did this a few times. Eventually it wouldn't let the key out at all and we had to have the ignition switch replaced.

'02 L m/t. Insurance adjuster 4 U.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Well I guess we'll never know the outcome. Keylocked has been on-line since members have offered the above suggestions but has not updated this thread.

2008 2.5XS 4EAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.