('09-'13) Just installed an AEM DryFlow engine air filter - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: EJ25 2.5X
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Just installed an AEM DryFlow engine air filter

2003-2011 Subaru and Chrysler Models Gain Performance with Reusable AEM Replacement Air Filter

With the genuine Subaru filter costing about $28 after tax, I thought I'd give AEM's dry filter a try since they sell it direct for $39.95 w/ free shipping. $11 more than stock. It arrived today. Its not an oiled filter and doesn't use cotton gauze. A non-woven non-oiled tightly layered synthetic media is used that is washable over and over. I put some research into it and found that AEM's dry filter out performed aFe's Pro Dry S in fine particle filtration testing as well as flow, both when clean and when dust loaded.

It fits in the airbox but it "just fits" and fills the edging of the box completely-- no gaps and no room to slide around a little bit like the stock filter or the Wix I had in there. It fits in an orientation that has the pleats running vertically instead of horizonally which is opposite from the how the stock filter and the Wix fit-- they only fit in an orientation where the pleats were horizontal. So verticle pleats instead of horizontal pleats when mounted in the air box.

It fits snugly enough that in order to feel comfortable that the tabs on the bottom of the rear piece of the air box were going in the slots, I just went ahead and removed the entire air box assembly and put it together out of the car. It fit together and closed up well. I felt the filter frame by reaching through the air inlet at the front of the air box and it was snug and firmly held in place.

Installed the assembled box back in the engine compartment and went for a drive. Maybe some better throttle response, maybe the same as before. Don't really care, as I bought it for the durability. And because I like messing with stuff like this.

I have a fresh batch of oil in the engine as of only approximately 100 miles prior to today's AEM filter install, so what I intend to do is come oil change time I'll capture a sample of the oil with a Blackstone Labs kit and send it off for analysis. An analysis should give a clue as to the air filtration efficiency.

2009 2.5X, Dark Gray
2013 Ducati Multistrada

Last edited by Lone Ranger; 12-05-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Gallery: 0
I'm using Purolator .. can buy 3 for the price of the dry filter.
The cleaner for the dry made by K&N, so I assume the filter is as well?
We have dirty air here in Los Angeles plus I'm doing a couple of forest roads nearby once in awhile and I would rather have a new filter every 10-12K miles. I would never consider purchasing an OEM Subaru air filter.. it's just too much money.

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Yeah, AEM is a division or subsidiary of K&N. The box had a K&N shipping label on it. The "I like messing with stuff like this" was a large part of it. I do perform my due diligence before ponying up for things like this, though, and the AEM DryFlow was tested in 2007 against K&N's own oiled gauze filter, aFe's oiled gauze filter, aFe's Pro Dry S (dry non-oiled) filter, and an Airaid oiled gauze filter by an independent lab, Southwest Research Institute. The AEM performed best @ 99.47% efficient using ISO 5011 fine dust test procedures. But the AEM also was, as expected with the better filtration, slightly more restrictive on air flow than the others.

2009 2.5X, Dark Gray
2013 Ducati Multistrada
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: FORESTER XS
Transmission: 4EAT sportshift
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just reviving your old thread to see if you have had any updates on performance, oil test analysis, etc...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

No oil analysis yet. Performance, seems a slight better pull mid range maybe 2500 - 4500, but could be imagined. Fuel economy may actually be slightly down but this is in accordance with my perceiving the possible slight mid range improvement and using that range more thus... heavy foot. Quality of our fuel here varies from time to time too, another factor.

2009 2.5X, Dark Gray
2013 Ducati Multistrada
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Forum Member

thanks for the reply!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Cruise O Matic
Lone Ranger, if I remember correctly my K&N has vertical pleats and "just fit" as well. I wonder if these filter are pretty much the same?

I too experienced the extra mid range power, that I may or may not be imagining, still not sure. And I know one thing for sure, it did not improve our MPGs.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester x premium
Transmission: automatic
I was going to buy this one AVO Turboworld LLC : Panel Air Filter [S1B03G4VB001J] - $55.00 would you recomend buying the AEM one or the AVO and why. thanks (i dont much about filters, i just know i dont want oiled and want reusable)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5 MT
I went to the AEM website and was told the P/N 28-20304 would fit a '12 Forester. However, at the Amazon website, I was told it would not.

Has anyone used this filter on a '11 or '12 Forester?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silve225 View Post
I was going to buy this one AVO Turboworld LLC : Panel Air Filter [S1B03G4VB001J] - $55.00 would you recomend buying the AEM one or the AVO and why. thanks (i dont much about filters, i just know i dont want oiled and want reusable)
That looks like a re-labeled AEM DryFlow. AEM sells the DryFlow (or was when I bought direct from them) for $39.99 + shipping. AEM is a subsidiary of K&N... K&N bought them awhile back. The AEM filter is a quality piece but you have to completely remove the air box out of the car to get it installed in the air box due to it is a little deeper than a stock filter and it wont go in when the air box is only spread open at the top while still in place, like when you drop a stock filter in. But it fits in the air box on my '09 nice and snug and the airbox closes up normally with it in there-- just have to remove the air box from th engine bay and take it into two peices to install the AEM.

2009 2.5X, Dark Gray
2013 Ducati Multistrada
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Forum Member

How hard is it to take out the airbox
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Its easy to remove the air box. There is one 10mm bolt mounted to the frame member that runs through a rubber grommet that is only tightened to about 15 lb-ft at most, then there is a 10mm nut on the front left side of the outside of the box that has to come off. And of course you have to remove the air snorkel from the air box and I go ahead and remove it from the intake air chamber as well.

2009 2.5X, Dark Gray
2013 Ducati Multistrada
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Forum Member

Ok thanks. I will be doing this in the next couple of months. I just replaced the air filter not that long ago
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Forum Member

bump. checked the airbox in the foz and the inlet side was full of early autumn leaves and other debris. meh

i just ordered a dryflow based on this thread. i was wondering if the OP has had to clean his yet? i was just wondering how hard it is based on real-life experience rather than what AEM says.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g
Transmission: 4EAT
I cleaned my Cone Shaped AEM Dry flow pretty easily with soap and water. Worked fine for me.

TD05-20g @ 24psi with Stage II AWDTUNING Block
Superacerc's Journal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.