('98-'00) High mileage oil filters - worth the extra cost? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
NBC
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: 2.5L
Transmission: manual
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High mileage oil filters - worth the extra cost?

I found a lot (actually an amazing amount ..) of good info on oil on this site, but couldn't find anything on high-mileage oil filters. I used Fram on my '05 (mainly because of the grip coating) but could only find their high-mileage version for my "new" car - which has 164,000 km on it.

If I recall, Fram was recommending this filter for engines over 120,000 km, but the price is beteen 2x and 3x that of a "regular" filter - so am wondering if it is worth the extra $$? I don't want to appear cheap but like to get value.

Too early to comment on oil consumption so just put in regular 5W30 dino.

Edit - I came across this article yesterday which may be of interest

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...ence.html#fram

My preliminary conclusion is to stick with a good brand of regular filter.

NBC
2006 5MT

Last edited by NBC; 01-11-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: forester
I can't provide a definite answer for you but I will offer what I do know. I believe the primary thing to look for is first pass filtering efficiency. There used to be only a few brands of premium oil filters made but now there are many major brands of premium filters. I would just look to use the cheapest one that has a first pass efficiency on the ~96% range. Paying too much for premium items like this is generally a money waster.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC View Post
I found a lot (actually an amazing amount ..) of good info on oil on this site, but couldn't find anything on high-mileage oil filters. I used Fram on my '05 (mainly because of the grip coating) but could only find their high-mileage version for my "new" car - which has 164,000 km on it.

If I recall, Fram was recommending this filter for engines over 120,000 km, but the price is beteen 2x and 3x that of a "regular" filter - so am wondering if it is worth the extra $$? I don't want to appear cheap but like to get value.

Too early to comment on oil consumption so just put in regular 5W30 dino.

Edit - I came across this article yesterday which may be of interest

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

My preliminary conclusion is to stick with a good brand of regular filter.
The FRAM High Mileage filter is just a sales gimmick. They are trying to get a piece of the high mileage marketing craze. These are "FRAM ExtraGuard" filters with a drop of goo in the middle. I wouldn't trust that goo in my engine and I'd be concerned how it is effecting flow in the filter. In my opinion you don't need this, but to each his own.

If you really want to be picky about oil filters then I'd suggest just buying the Subaru OEM oil filter for your car. You can pick them up between $5-$7.

If you want a better approach to this 'high mileage' thing then just use a "high mileage" oil. High Mileage oils come in straight conventional or conventional/synthetic blend. Both have a higher concentration of detergents to clean your engine and added conditioners to revive seals versus regular conventional oil.

That being said, I got 450,000 miles out of my last Subaru on nothing but regular conventional oil. I used a mix of OEM and regular aftermarket oil filters through the years. It could have kept going, but I got into an accident. RIP Sooby!

Last edited by Soobs; 02-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
That's a 10 year old study. Use whatever filter you want. If that recommendation is real its bs.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I wouldn't pay anything extra for any fram product, they're just not very good compared to most of the competition.

Just go with any good standard filter. Don't pay extra for the fancy ones like K&N or mobil1 (for our cars the mobil1 has the smallest amount of filter material of any filter). I like purolator (although i'm not a big fan of the newer gold pureones), wix/napa, tokyo roki (the 09+ mazda rx8 factory filter is a tokyo roki with the correct specs for our cars), or possibly the blue factory filters (made by the same people as fram, but decent quality and a pretty good gasket design)

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Car Year: 2004
I like the ACDelco ones ( I think that's what they are) got them at Farm & Fleet. I try to stay away from fram, heard bad things about their filters coming apart and clogging engines.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I like the ACDelco ones ( I think that's what they are) got them at Farm & Fleet. I try to stay away from fram, heard bad things about their filters coming apart and clogging engines.
AC Delco filters are made by Champ. While the AC Delco filters can certainly be cross-referenced to other cars they are specific to GM vehicles. Champ's new filters are the e-core design. That means the center-tube is made of nylon. I've seen several that have collapsed causing weak-points in the media followed by complete filter failure. The felt endcaps are poorly bonded to the filter element and for the life of me I can't imagine why they decided to put them on at all. They're so weak that they can't possible serve any real purpose. To me it looks like a far weaker design than FRAM ExtraGuard. I've seen a lot of media failures with these on bitog. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2099058

FRAM really isn't a bad filter. Their multi-pass efficiency ratings are fine and their endcaps are made of condensed filter media that is bonded ridiculously well to the filter element. I don't see what all the negative fuss is about.

Last edited by Soobs; 02-11-2011 at 04:24 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 04:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 02
Car Model: Forester L (sold)
Transmission: Manual
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The negative fuss is the number of Fram filters that have mechanically failed (split, clogged, etc). Not just internet legend, I've had people I know have Fram filter problems. I won't buy 'em. They are built to a price so K-mart, Wally World etc will sell them. I buy NAPA or Wix filters by the case and the price is very competitive if you shop around or ask your vendor for a 'deal'.

I don't believe it matters much beyond that what kind of oil or filter you use if you are changing it frequently. That's more important than the actual product used.

'02 L m/t. Insurance adjuster 4 U.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Outback
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 2
Fram's top of the line filter is good, but expensive. Their base model and mid-level are overpriced in my opinion.

I'm currently running PureOne's in my Outback, and they seem to be doing fine for my 4-6k OCI.

2003 Outback 2.5 AWP.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Been using Fram filters almost exclusively since I started driving (22 years ago ). Only time I've had non-Fram is when it's dealer installed or thye parts stores didn't have one for my car. Never had anything even close to a failure.

'07 X 2.5 EAT
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Car Year: 2010
Same here.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: L
Transmission: 4AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobs View Post
That being said, I got 450,000 miles out of my last Subaru on nothing but regular conventional oil. I used a mix of OEM and regular aftermarket oil filters through the years. It could have kept going, but I got into an accident. RIP Sooby!
Awesome.

'99L Auto, '69 Moto Guzzi
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Forum Member

Well, we all have our opinions on one filter or another. The Subaru 15208AA12A OEMs have worked great for me. My Honda also has oil filters built by Honeywell. No problems.

Here's some pictures of a Subaru OEM oil filter I cut open some time ago after 4,000+ mile oil change interval. It's simply a FRAM PH9715 ExtraGaurd with an upgraded gasket and higher pressure bypass relief valve. In case anyone is wondering I use Chevron Supreme Conventional 5W-30, it's a 2008 2.5x Forester, and at the time it had 57,000 miles.

Last edited by Soobs; 02-12-2011 at 05:25 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeman View Post
Awesome.
Yup. It was my 1995 Legacy L AWD 5-speed. It had the 2.2L engine. Best car I've ever owned and probably ever will own. Everything worked all the way to the end. Power windows, A/C, everything.

This is a picture of it after a big snow storm in Colorado. At this time it had around 420,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Soobs; 02-12-2011 at 02:10 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5X Premium (5sp)
Don't forget that air filters also effect oil cleanliness, or lack thereof. There are more factors than just the oil filter (kudos to the dude who posted filter pictures, real evidence beats heresay 100% of the time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.