LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester L
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Help, I can't get the hood to open!

Ok, I pull the inside release like normal and then hop out and pull on the hood..and nothing! The hood doesn't pop up it's usual amount, it's like it's frozen in position. What I remember about the last time I had it open is that when I dropped the hood to close, it didn't close all the way and I had to push it closed. Which probably means that I forced/bent something that shouldn't have been forced or bent.
The interior release feels like it's still connected so I don't think that I snapped the cable.
So how do I go about opening the hood without being able to pull up the hood or release the "first catch" that pulling the cable normally releases?

Ron
99 Forester L 4EAT Aspen White
09 Impreza 5dr Premium 4EAT/SS Sun Gold Opal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Transmission: CVT
have some one pull the release and you pull up on the hood at the same time
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's a dilemma. You could try spraying some lubricant from below or through the grille in the general vicinity of the latch. Also having a helper pull the release while you put pressure and try moving it side to side after letting the lube work in. Hopefully you have a can of lubricant that comes with those small spray straws that might get between the hood weather stripping. If you don't have something like that a flat probe of something can be pressed between the hood and frame to move the seal out of the way and get some lube to the mechanism.

Good luck and keep us posted as to the result.

2008 2.5XS 4EAT
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5X Premium (5sp)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Careful driving. I had that happen to a car (non-Subaru) once and the hood suddenly flew open at 65 mpg, spider-webbing my windshield and scaring me half to death. You DON'T want that to happen.

Best thing to do, as suggested above, is to have someone pull the latch while you jimmy the hood open.

If not, force it open (get out a drill/saw if you have to) and install pins to hold it closed until you get a new latch mechanism.

You're facing a possible safety issue here, the worst kind.

Best of luck!

2011 2.5X Premium, 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
+1 for lube. A number of us have encountered the situation where the hood won't stay all the way down or can't even go all the way down. (But fortunately mine has never gone all the way up--just up to the initial release point) A shot of PB Blaster cured it on the spot, and it's now part of my spring cleanup procedure every year.

Not quite your problem, I realize, but it sounds like they might be related.

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester L
Ok, I finally got it to open tonight. It did take two people, one to pull the release lever and me to pull the hood up while the lever was being pulled. For some reason the hood still wasn't coming up that initial bit but at least there was a little "click" when the lever was pulled and I was able to get it lifted enough to move the catch and free the hood the rest of the way.
I will be lubing it the next time I see the car in the daylight(it's my wife's car-I get to drive the Impreza) and seeing if something appears to be out of alignment enough to account for the closing problem.
Thanks for all the responses!

To Naomi's Pilot: I had that happen to me with a "68 VW Beetle.....after I figured out what the heck had happened, I found out that I could look through between the end of the hood and the firewall to slow down and pull over. Let me tell you, that curved hood makes a great airbrake!

Ron
99 Forester L 4EAT Aspen White
09 Impreza 5dr Premium 4EAT/SS Sun Gold Opal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.