('06-'08) Help with code P0026 please - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester x
Transmission: 5 mt
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Help with code P0026 please

Hello all,
New member chimming in for the first time! I have been reading and learning from this forum for a couple days now, and really appreciate all the info it provides. I recently purchased a 2007 Forester X manual trans, with 95000kms on it, and have been loving it so far.
Now I need a bit of help. Just yesterday my CEL came on, so i took it to get the codes read, and came up with a "P0026 Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)". I have tried searching but there doesn't seem to a lot of info about this. The car seems to be running fine, however i have noticed a slight oil leak on the passenger side rear of the engine where I believe the sensor that is causing this code is located.
Should i remove this sensor, clean it up and re-insert, or head off to the dealer/parts store and just get a new sensor? Or is there something I am missing?
Thanks and appreciate any light that can be shed on this for me
muchomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
has awakened!
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

I see this is your first forum post so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

My quick search said the Intake Valve Solenoid can come loose, so you might check to make sure it's not something that simple.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
2.5x_sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Do the NA models have the same air injection system as the turbos did in these years?

I wonder if its the same issue that people are having with turbo models and the "secondary air injection" system.

Unfortunately my service manuals only go up to 05 which has no 0026 code, so I can't see any of the diagnostic tests.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your help guys,

I haven't had anytime to real dig into it yet, but I did pop of the electrical connector to the solenoid that I beleive is causing my trouble and cleaned and reinserted it to make sure it was tight. However this morning the CEL light is still on.

Another thing i noticed yesterday when driving home is that the car does not want to go above 4000rpm. Is this some built in precaution because it has the CEL light on and this P0026 code, and it doesn't want the engine to be pushed, or is it something else?
I am noticing a few oil drops under my car now as well that are most likely coming from this solenoid, but until I get time to get under her and have a good look I guess I won't know for sure.

Funkymonkey - I am not sure about the air injection and turbo models, I am relatively new to Subaru's, parents have owned three outbacks but this is my first.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

So I had a bit of time last night to check out things a bit. I disconnected the battery for a while to let the computer clear the CEL then I took out what I think to be the variable intake valve control solenoid (see pic), cleaned it up, put it back in. Fired it up, no CEL. Driving to work this morning the CEL came back on (assuming it's the same code). It looks like oil is weeping thru this sensor as it has a small amount of oil on it already.

Am I right that this is infact the Variable Intake valve solenoid? I can't find part numbers or anything that can confirm this on the net.

In my searching I also come across the OCV (oil control valve) being related somehow. Not sure exactly where this is, what it looks like.

Oil level is good, not sure what kind of oil is in it, as I just purchased it a couple weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with code P0026 please-img_0283.jpg  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Looks like it's all fixed up now. Went to the dealer and bought a new oil switch for only $30 (seems to be called a few different things part# 25240aa060), the same kind that I had removed and cleaned earlier and is in the attachment above. Must be a bit of a common problem as the dealer had 6 of them in stock, and mentioned that they are somewhat known for failing. After driving for the past couple days now and the CEL light hasn't come back, and the oil leak seems to have been fixed as well. I guess that not allowing reving past 4000 rpm while that code P0026 was active was no coincidence either as now I can rev again!

Anyway, if anyone has any similar problems sometime maybe this thread will help out somehow.

Cheers,
Old 06-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: forester
Gallery: 2

welcome to the forum

glad you got it all sorted out.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: VW Golf TDI
Transmission: DSG

Mine went bad last year, it was spewing oil. Dealer replaced it for $200. Now, the CEL is on with p0026 and P0420 I wonder if they are related to one issue or two separate issues. I wonder if the dealer really replaced it or just fixed the leak?
higgledy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: VW Golf TDI
Transmission: DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchomas View Post
Looks like it's all fixed up now. Went to the dealer and bought a new oil switch for only $30 (seems to be called a few different things part# 25240aa060), the same kind that I had removed and cleaned earlier and is in the attachment above. Must be a bit of a common problem as the dealer had 6 of them in stock, and mentioned that they are somewhat known for failing. After driving for the past couple days now and the CEL light hasn't come back, and the oil leak seems to have been fixed as well. I guess that not allowing reving past 4000 rpm while that code P0026 was active was no coincidence either as now I can rev again!

Anyway, if anyone has any similar problems sometime maybe this thread will help out somehow.

Cheers,
I believe when the CEL is on the ECU retards the timing for safety
higgledy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty