Heater Blower not Working - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester L
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Heater Blower not Working

I have a 1998 Forester and it has been great. Last summer the heater blower began to not work. If I would flip the switch on the air intake from inside the car to outside air it would sometimes restart. Also, the highest blower setting, level 4, ceased to work. Eventually the fan stopped completely, so I replace the fan relay. This fixed most of the problem; fore, the fan would always work but level 4 would still not work. About mid-winter I accidentally turned it to level 4 and found that it had suddenly started working, but about 5 minutes later it had completely shut the blower down and it has not run since. I tried replacing the resistor and the relay, but neither one worked. I connected the fan motor directly to the battery and it is running fine. So, now I am at a loss and have no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
scruffypooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester

I have a 2003 Forester. The fan stopped working and I replaced the blown fuse and it blew the fuse again immediately. My (very good) subie mechanic pulled the fan unit out, found water in the area and could not duplicate a water problem/leak. He reconditioned the unit, it worked fine, then stopped again in a week. He then installed an new subie blower motor and it worked fine. It just stopped working again. Could this be a short in a wire somewhere? He suggested that there is a bare wire somewhere than when the car, perhaps, goes over a bump, touches metal and shorts out. If this is the case, it may require pulling the entire wire harness and looking for the bad wire. Unfortunately, I think this is probably the only explanation, although we will first return the motor to Subaru for a new one. This could be a VERY expensive fix. Any ideas or experiences?
nbcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Most likely the motor brushes are almost worn out. When this happens the motor becomes intermittent. It will typically refuse to start, and if you thump the blower housing hard w/ your hand it will come on and run for a while. No fix but to replace the blower as brushes are not a replaceable part.

good luck
Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester GLS

I've had a similarish issue with my 2000 Forester too and i wonder if anyone could offer me any advice?.

It started the back end of last winter, the fan (on any of the 4 settings) only started working a couple of minutes after i started the car. After a week or so it would only work after 10 minutes into the journey. A week or so after that it would take 20-30 minutes before it began working, etc, etc, until over Summer when it stopped working altogether even after a journey of 2 or 3 hours. It's not really mattered up until recently but now it's begun to get cold outside you can imagine it's not much fun. The heater is still producing heat but this is only entering the cabin with the natural flow of air and obviously is no good for de-misting the screen.

Where can i access the heater fan from and is it something that can be replaced by someone with very average mechanical skills?

Thanks in advance.
TheCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Symptoms suggest worn out brushes.

Attached is a pdf file of the procedure. It looks to be very straightforward operation. Check ebay and rockauto.com for a good part.

good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Heater Blower Remove-Install Proc.pdf (49.9 KB, 2707 views)

Last edited by TexasForester; 12-06-2008 at 06:46 AM.
TexasForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Have you checked to make sure the linkage on the dash controls are actually fully connected?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default 2003 Blower Dead Too

I also have a 2003 in which the blower stopped working. I ordered a new relay, and replaced it, but that didn't fix the problem. When I turn the fan switch from 0 to 1, I hear a click coming from the far left dash, above the fusebox, but I haven't been able to trace the problem. Is it possible to get to the actual motor in this model?

Gus
gsterneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasForester View Post
Symptoms suggest worn out brushes.

Attached is a pdf file of the procedure. It looks to be very straightforward operation. Check ebay and rockauto.com for a good part.

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey1002 View Post
Have you checked to make sure the linkage on the dash controls are actually fully connected?
Many thanks for the advice guys, i now at least have a starting point (not to mention some diagrams to stop me from destroying the interior of my car when trying to find where all the clips are )

I'll check the control unit first then move onto the motor itself if i have no joy there. Is the motor unit a sealed item or is it designed with maintenance in mind - ie changing or cleaning the brushes?
TheCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car Year: 2005

I'm having trouble with my 2005 Forester.

The blower motor runs fine at all speeds, but I get very little air blowing from the vents. If it were an older car, I'd think that one of the duct hoses had come off the plastic vent tubes- maybe this is the case.

I do know that the little hose down on the blower motor has fallen off (aspirator pipe), but that seems to be a seperate problem, and didn't cut down on my air flow from the vents any more than they already were.

Basically, I'm getting no "CFM" out of my vents- just a slight trickle of air, even though the fan motor is working.

Anyone have any advice on where I should start looking? I have decent mechancial ability, so pulling the dash apart isn't really a problem. Before I dive in on my own, I thought I'd check here.

Many thanks in advance for any info that someone might be willing to share.
scottycards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car Year: 2001
Default Blower fan

My 2001 fan is starting to make intermittent noise like something is rubbing on low speed. Is replacing the fan the only solution?
Ron in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester 2.5 X

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsterneman View Post
I also have a 2003 in which the blower stopped working. I ordered a new relay, and replaced it, but that didn't fix the problem. When I turn the fan switch from 0 to 1, I hear a click coming from the far left dash, above the fusebox, but I haven't been able to trace the problem. Is it possible to get to the actual motor in this model?

Gus
Gus, you've probably fixed this problem a long time ago, but I had the same problem w/ my 2004 2.5 x. It turned out to be a broken ground wire where the wires connect to the blower motor. I re-connected it an it works fine.
From the looks of it, it happened over a long period. I was surprised that the wires connect and hang at pretty much the exact spot where a passenger's right foot would rest!
Still, I'm glad it was an easy and free fix!
Bobarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 03X
Transmission: MT
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
I'm having trouble with my 2005 Forester.

The blower motor runs fine at all speeds, but I get very little air blowing from the vents. If it were an older car, I'd think that one of the duct hoses had come off the plastic vent tubes- maybe this is the case.

I do know that the little hose down on the blower motor has fallen off (aspirator pipe), but that seems to be a seperate problem, and didn't cut down on my air flow from the vents any more than they already were.

Basically, I'm getting no "CFM" out of my vents- just a slight trickle of air, even though the fan motor is working.

Anyone have any advice on where I should start looking? I have decent mechancial ability, so pulling the dash apart isn't really a problem. Before I dive in on my own, I thought I'd check here.

Many thanks in advance for any info that someone might be willing to share.
If you have never cleaned/replaced the cabin filter it could be cloged.
rsay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: subaru
Transmission: automatic
Default blower motor not working

it was making a weird noise when i turned it on then it quit working. the fuses are ok so i took out the blower motor and the white plastic moving part was cracked. so i replaced the motor and it still won't turn on! help please!!
lovemysubaru2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
has awakened!
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Here's another thread to read over. Blower motor melts wires off

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
2.5x_sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: Forester X, MT

i was used to blower resistor issues on past cars ... my blower connector melted. couldn't buy it from subaru without getting a whole wiring harness. I wound up soldering maybe 10 ga wires directly on the blower to make some 3-4 inch "pigtails" and then used crimp terminals to connect back to the car wiring.

IIRC one of the terminals is 1/4" wide but the other is about 5/16" (probably metric). most crimp terminals you can buy from electrical supply companies are 1/4 or 3/8. that (and tight space in footwell) is why i chose to solder pigtails and put the connections a few inches away.

blower still working fine after a couple years. this condition is caused by a bad crimp/loose connection between wire and terminal inside the white plastic connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty