Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

head gaskets. what to do

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  sequoia 
#1 ·
I've just returned from the mechanic when I went to go get my coolant flushed. He says that if I'm trying to prevent my head gaskets from leaking that I'm too late. Now there is not any discoloration in the coolant itself. The bottom of the car has oil all over it. Where can I look. I don't really know what the head gaskets look like? Also how long can I go with just a leak? It has 75k

#2 ·
I am no expert here and I admit it, but I also have a 2003 Forester X, and I got it two weeks ago. Before I got it, it too, had the head gasket fail and it has already been replaced. This happened at about the 75,000 mile range, so I would plan on getting this fixed asap if possible. Either through the mechanic or yourself is your so inclined. I hope this helps.

#3 ·
To answer your question, you can go as long as you want with a leaking HG. It won't suddenly explode and leave you stranded, if that's what you're asking. You could keep going.
Now, what should you do, is up to you. HG leaks can be from the coolant into the cylinder, from the oil into the cylinder, the coolant to the outside of the engine block, the oil to the outside, oil into the coolant, or any combination of the above. Compressed gasses in the cylinder can escape into the engine block or bubble through the coolant. This in turn, can foul the cat converter and emissions sensors, make a mess everywhere you park, taint the oil and cause various mayhem in the engine block, or any combination of the above. Loss of too much coolant or oil can lead to overheating or seizing, which can cause a catastrophic fail on the road. Or, it could just be an annoying leak for a year or so.
If you're keeping the car, start a saving fund for HG replacement, if not, the buyer should be made aware of the problem, to be fair. It's not an impossible DIY job and costs a lot less than a shop, but it is an advanced, protracted, repair. It's one of those types of jobs that the parts are a few hundred bucks, and the labor is a few thousand.

#4 ·
My 2003X started weeping oil at 130,000 miles but the leak was so minimal as to not be measurable via the dip stick. The local Sube dealer saw the oil stain when they were under there swapping the coolant.

I continued to drive the car, always checking the oil and coolant (in the reservoir right behind the radiator.

At 154,000 miles, the coolant loss (to the outside, NOT an internal leak) started but is still very minimal at this point.......after an hour on the highway, I might have to add a tablespoon of coolant to the reservoir to bring the level back up to the higher "FULL" mark after the engine has completely cooled off.......

I continue to drive the car as always BUT have plans to replace the car next year for a new OutBack once I'm sure that teething problems with a new model are a thing of the past. I'm doing this because I don't want to put 1900- into an 11 year old car......especially considering that the exhaust will, at some point need to be swapped out as well as rear wheel bearings which typically start needing replacement on these cars...

I suggest that you start your waiting process by letting the car cool all the way down to stone cold. Then, add some 50-50 coolant to bring the cold level up to the "FULL" mark in the reservoir.

From then on, check the COLD level every time you take the car out on the highway to see how much coolant and oil) you'e losing......as long as you don't run into issues with the coolant and oil mixing INSIDE the engine, you'll be okay BUT the HG swap will need to be done eventually.......

Hope this helps. My Forrie has served me very well so I can't complain..........all cars have some mechanical issues as they rack up the miles. The Forester is and has been the BEST car that I've ver owned, especially considering the rotten weather that it's taken me safely thru.........I have NO complaints.

GOOD LUCK,

STEVE

#7 ·
A 2003 really won't need a pressure test.

That engine will weep oil and/or coolant if the HG goes 99% of the time. If you do not let the vehicle get low on whatever fluid it is leaking, you can drive for 100K miles with a leaky HG.

#9 ·
I had my 2003 pressure tested by a Sube tech at the local VIP place here in NH….he confirmed that the HGs were, in fact, weeping/leaking because he could see the excess coolant weeping out at the bottom of the heads under pressure BUT also confirmed that, as long as I watch the levels carefully and keep them topped off as appropriate, I can keep driving the car…..

So far, I've been on highway speed trips of up to 1.5 hours and lost just a tablespoon or two of coolant. As the temps now are plunging in New England, the fluid weeping seems to have dropped of considerably.

I suggest carrying a jug of the approved coolant with you just in case……..I may be able to drive thru to next Spring or later w/o too much trouble.

Steve

#10 ·
I should really copy this story so I can stop typing it. I bought an 04 with 90k miles on it. It had an EXTERNAL coolant leak when I bought it. I changed the coolant and added the conditioner from Subaru. It never leaked coolant again. At about 110k miles, it started EXTERNAL oil leak. It would leak out about 4oz of oil in 3000 miles. When it got to about 12oz in 3000 miles, I replaced the HG's. I made it to 150k miles before this point.

Here's the point: if your HG leak is of the external variety, as long as you replace the fluid that leaks out fairly religiously, you'll be fine for a long while. Internal leaks must be addressed right away. Have the engine cleaned and keep an eye on it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.