('09-'13) Groaning sound on tight slow turning - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Automatic
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Groaning sound on tight slow turning

Just want to find out if this is normal or early signs of AWD bind or another issue.
When driving slowly on pavement and make a tight turn into a parking in my 2009 XT Auto, it sounds like a humming or groaning sound throughout the cabin.
It does not feel like full blown AWD or torquebind or whatever you want to call it, as no wheels are juddering and the driveline does not seem to brake the car as in normal situations when binding on the centre diff occurs.

I did put in the fuse to disable the AWD mode and the sound seems to disappear. The ATF was completely replaced at 62500km and the car has 65000km on the odometer now.

I also can't say if it only start happening now or that I just never noticed it before.

Any personal experiences if other members experience something like this would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Automatic

Ok, My best guess is that it started after I inserted the Whiteline KDT902 bushing inserts in the subframe. I reckon the previous drive-train noises that where dampened by them is now transferred a bit more into the cabin.

FYI before someone think the Whiteline KDT902 kit fits on a 2009 Forester, it does not. Not without some modification at least.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravofox View Post
Ok, My best guess is that it started after I inserted the Whiteline KDT902 bushing inserts in the subframe. I reckon the previous drive-train noises that where dampened by them is now transferred a bit more into the cabin.

FYI before someone think the Whiteline KDT902 kit fits on a 2009 Forester, it does not. Not without some modification at least.
Yes, my 2010 does this too, it's all wheel drive, with a heavy load at slow speed usually full lock left or right steering. Seems normal to me, the PS pump is working hard to turn the wheels and stiffer bushings transmit more noise and vibration.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: forester
Transmission: automatic
Default groaning noise

If the noise stopped when you put in the FWD fuse, it sounds like the transfer clutch is binding. If the transmission that was put in was new, try adding some Wynns transmission additive. If the trans was used, I would change the fluid and filter and add the Wynns additive.
tech56jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty