Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

FXT Strange Engine noise. Hmmmm

('03-'05) 
744 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  HoboBob 
#1 ·
And no its not the engine running :lol:

First off its not consistent. It seems to only be when the ambient temperature is cold it makes this noise. When its say above 60* it doesn't really happen; and even then it occasionally won't make the noise when its cold. I noticed it over the past two months or so and it almost sounds like its gotten louder, that may just be my imagination though. The sound seems to be coming from the top cam gear on the passenger side or directly behind it. It's a mechanical whirring noise in the sense that it has a pattern to it like as something is rotating it is making the noise.

Also, a few months ago my car was throwing a Cylinder 1 misfire code. I swapped spark plugs and coil packs but to no avail. After I seafoamed the engine and put some in the gas the code went away and stayed off for a long time so I tossed it up to a dirty injector. Yesterday the code came back but I only got 1 hit on the roughness on the AP where as previously it was going all the way up to 99 at idle.

I took off the timing cover and inspected the pulleys and everything seems to be in order and not seized up so I don't think its any of the idler pulleys. I also put a screwdriver up to the cylinders and it doesn't appear to be making any different noises than the other ones so I am at a loss. Now I am turning to you, the good people of the Internet to help diagnose my car!

Here's a video I got of the noise when I had the timing cover off...
Weird engine noise - YouTube

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.