('09-'13) Fuel light, Cruise light blinking, Check engine light on? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Fuel light, Cruise light blinking, Check engine light on?

All,

Was running low on gas recently, and had the fuel gauge light turn on. While driving to the gas station next day, the fuel gauge started blinking.

Fueled up and now its even worse:
- fuel gauge doesn't work at all even though tank is full
- fuel gauge light is on solid
- check engine light is on solid
- cruise control light is blinking
- traction control light is on solid

Anyone know what's going on? It's been rainy here as well. My dealer hasnt had time until mid week to look at it and it's scary to see this many lights. Our '09 Subaru is a bit over 18k miles.

THANKS!

Tom
asciiwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member
 
bbottomley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,066
Location: New London, NH
Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Most of those lights just come on as a safety measure when there's a Check Engine Light (CEL) situation. Subaru just doesn't want automatic kinds of stuff happening when the engine might be prone to acting unpredictably. They don't necessarily connote anything wrong with cruise control or traction control.

It sounds like something might have gotten damaged in the sender unit in the fuel tank. You can usually get the code read free at Advance or AutoZone—unless you're in California. That should give you enough peace of mind to wait out the time till the dealer can see you.
__________________
2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
bbottomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
higgledy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 998
Location: Frederick, MD
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: VW Golf TDI
Transmission: DSG
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbottomley View Post
Most of those lights just come on as a safety measure when there's a Check Engine Light (CEL) situation. Subaru just doesn't want automatic kinds of stuff happening when the engine might be prone to acting unpredictably. They don't necessarily connote anything wrong with cruise control or traction control.

It sounds like something might have gotten damaged in the sender unit in the fuel tank. You can usually get the code read free at Advance or AutoZone—unless you're in California. That should give you enough peace of mind to wait out the time till the dealer can see you.
You're scaring me. I'm heading to Advanced Auto this morning.
The gas gauge came back to life after a few minutes and it seemed accurate for the rest of the trip. I hope this won't cost me an arm and a leg.
higgledy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
higgledy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 998
Location: Frederick, MD
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: VW Golf TDI
Transmission: DSG
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Just got back from Advanced Auto and the Subaru dealer.

By the time I got to the Advanced all the dashboard lights went off. But there was a code stored, "P0463 - Fuel level sensor a circuit high input"

The Advanced Auto sales person looked up the code and related parts. The sending unit is only available direct from Subaru part.

I stopped by the dealer, the service tech told me that since the dash lights went off, the sensor is now working properly. She recommended that I wait to see if it was not some one-time fluke.

What do you guys think? Thanks.
higgledy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
pleiad7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27,346
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Default

Cruise/TC are automatically disabled anytime there's a CEL on any DBW Subaru, and there isn't really ever any reason to worry about a CEL unless it's the CEL light that's blinking.

Just wait it out and see if it happens again.
__________________
-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Scary enough, my technician read the same code-P0463. However, the dealer insisted we leave the car. They've been looking at it for a couple of hours and still don't know what's wrong...

I'm hoping this will all get covered under warranty...
asciiwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 41
Car Year: 07
Car Model: FXT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I just had the same thing happen to me. I was out of town last week for a couple days and when I went to turn my XT on after sitting outside in 70 degree weather, @ 49k miles the CEL and traction control lights came on solid, with the Cruise control blinking. I guess I'll be going up to Autozone at lunch to see what the problem is

MY '07 is past factory warranty, but I purchased the Subaru extended warranty till 92k miles. I haven't had to use it yet, but if I get the same P0463 code, would correcting it be covered?
haybeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
pleiad7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27,346
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Default

Have a look here too:
Code P0463 problem? (post #8 has the diagnostic procedure from the service manual)
__________________
-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
shrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 22
Location: Chicago
Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Subaru Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciiwar View Post
All,

Was running low on gas recently, and had the fuel gauge light turn on. While driving to the gas station next day, the fuel gauge started blinking.

Fueled up and now its even worse:
- fuel gauge doesn't work at all even though tank is full
- fuel gauge light is on solid
- check engine light is on solid
- cruise control light is blinking
- traction control light is on solid

Anyone know what's going on? It's been rainy here as well. My dealer hasnt had time until mid week to look at it and it's scary to see this many lights. Our '09 Subaru is a bit over 18k miles.

THANKS!

Tom
I had this on my car. Check the Gas Cap, remove ice buildup(if any) and run for two drive cycles with the light on.
__________________
2011 Subaru Forester Dark Gray 2.5X 5MT with AWP
shrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 41
Car Year: 07
Car Model: FXT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Just got back from Autozone. Got the code P2441. They printed it out for me along with the "definition" they have

Secondary Air Injection System switching valve - stuck closed bank

Probable Cause - Air Duct System Fault, Open or Short Circuit Connection, Poor Electrical Connection, Faulty secondary air combination valve

I've noticed recently that very little air is coming out of my center dash vents. Is it possible this is somehow related to this problem?
haybeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
funkymonkey1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,012
Location: Boston
Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haybeav View Post
Just got back from Autozone. Got the code P2441. They printed it out for me along with the "definition" they have

Secondary Air Injection System switching valve - stuck closed bank

Probable Cause - Air Duct System Fault, Open or Short Circuit Connection, Poor Electrical Connection, Faulty secondary air combination valve

I've noticed recently that very little air is coming out of my center dash vents. Is it possible this is somehow related to this problem?
Nope. Search secondary air injection on the forum. A lot of people have been having this issue lately. Its an air pump for the emissions system and the valves tend to get gummed up and stuck, and its quite expensive to replace.
__________________
04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
funkymonkey1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.