Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Forester XT transmission problem

('09-'13) 
5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MJM 
#1 ·
Hello. Got my 2009 FXT auto. 130kkm. Full service logs. Got my first problems here. When it changes a gear I get really big hit somewhere in transmission. If auto, sport or manual mode same hit when changing gear. And lights come on that "AT OIL TEMP" light starts blinking, abs and traction control. Anyone has any ideas??

P.S. When go from P to D or R, N it all looks ok. When I start driving its ok. But when it changes the gears - really hard HIT....

#2 ·
Flashing AT Oil lamp means the TCU detected a fault during the last drive cycle.. get a decent OBDII reader which can access the TCU and check for stored codes then go from there.
I think there's a method to have the dash lights blink the code, but you'll need to search for that.

As for the banging, have you checked the trans oil level? Best to check it when the engine/trans are at operating temp, with the car in Park and the engine running.

#3 ·
Well. Went to one service (not subaru dealer, but they fix only Japan cars). They found nothing. All good under them. So took the car to subaru dealer. They found Temperature sensor fault in gearbox. But gearbox sometimes has hard hit when changing gear (I found out that just happens sometimes and only when its warm/hot). Nevertheless they want to take the gearbox off and check something inside. They say its a common problem for these XT and it might be not a sensor (which fault the see), but tranmission as itself. Maybe some1 has ideas and might help me save money... Its gonna cost me....

#5 ·
I know how to replace the temp sensor. I am curious if temp sensor can affect those big Hits of the gearbox sometimes? Subaru said they will take off the trans because they want to check something inside it that might be bad as well.. I am just curious why they dont just change the temp sensor and let me see if it helps or not... And then take it off.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.