Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Forester hit while parked

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Sahsouh 
#1 ·
Hi,

My 2010 FXT was hit but a school bus while parked. Not to bore you with details but the insurance is going to fix it, damage costs I would say are around 50%.

But my main worry is the AWD system. Any advice/tips? What are the risks that AWD system is damaged if a car gets hit while in park and off?

No one was in the car, thankfully.

#2 ·
How far did the car get pushed, and where on the car were you hit? I personally wouldn't be worried about the driveline taking any damage except in very unusual circumstances. I could see some potential damage to the parking pawl in the transmission, but that would also take an odd impact to damage. If you can get it out of park and back into park and the car doesn't roll or make crazy noises it is probably fine. I would say it is worth getting an alignment though.

#3 ·
It was hit on the side, so it moved up and side. And no the car was not on. It's still in the body shop, but I just worry about mechanical damage and with that come safety obviously.

They say they will test it so we'll wait to see. But I was curious the potential damage level to a hit on a car like this while parked.

Attachments

#5 ·
With that impact, I would look at the parking pawl for sure. If it goes in and out of park normally and doesn't roll when parked on a hill it should be fine. If they have to do suspension repairs in the back they should look at the rear differential and CV joints. Also checking over the differential mounts, driveshaft mounts, and transmission mounts is a good idea regardless. If those check out then I would say you're in the clear. Keep us updated!

#7 ·
Ouch!! I feel your pain. I don't know what the laws are in Canada but you should be entitled to get your car fixed "As good as new". Make sure the shop goes over the drive train thoroughly. Your should be fine if the shop is a good one.

I was hit Wednesday morning but not as bad and a Hit&Run :( Took off the Drivers side door mirror and messed up the paint on the front fender, over a $1,000.00 total.
Good luck

#8 ·
For the most part, the laws in Canada are equivalent to the laws in the US. Yes, he is absolutely entitled to having it "fixed like new", HOWEVER, just like in the US, getting insurance companies to pay out is like pulling teeth from a conscious great white.

#9 ·
So I got the car back yesterday. As I was driving it, first Check Engine (P0011) light in on. Next Cruise control is flashing, then traction control light is on. Not to add a weird noise came from the engine (or turbo, not sure) when I revved it a few times. And to top it off, as I was reversing it to park, it shut off.

So so far the body work done costs 11,800$. Body work looks good to me. But this engine stuff has me worried. I'm going to take it to Subaru or my Subaru mechanic to have a look tomorrow.

Talk about getting screwed from your insurance company.

Thanks for replies. If you have idea what might be happening, shoot me a reply, thanks.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.