Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Forester 2002 makes ticking noise when turning left

8K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  beagledog 
#1 ·
About a month ago my forester started to make ticking noise when making a turn. Only do this after being parked for a long time. My forester has 106,000 miles; recent maintenance; I had the front brakes taken care of about 2 to 3 months ago. I had my mechanic take a look at it today. He tells me everything is fine.. sorry mechanical terminologies.. I am not familiar with. He did tell me that he took brake thingy and cleaned it because it appeared to something to do with the rust.

Still makes "ticking" noise. Also when making really sharp corners it makes clunking noise.. I had the rear struts replaced in January along with new tires.

The other mechanic thinks it might be CV Joint but my mechanic had it up, he should be able to see it right? Anyone have any idea? Please help.

Thanks in advance.:icon_biggrin:

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips. The "ticking" doesn't happen all the time. Only when I make the left turn.. and not all the left turns either.. this is the most strangest thing I've came acorss.. Even my mechanics don't know what's going on. He checked the car over and over.. on everything, he took the front brakes and checked that too to see if it was scraping against something.. from the way he talked, he CHECKED everything and drove the car all over try to get it to "tick" but it will sometime and sometimes not..

what could this be? Any suggestions? Anything would be helpful.
Thanks again..

#6 ·
Suggestions:
CV joints.
(And a different mechanic?)

The clicking noise that a bad CV joint makes usually only happens when you are turning the car in one direction, and it doesn't always happen every time. So those are additional symptoms that it's probably the CV joint.

#10 ·
The right axle usually goes bad due to the poor position of the boot relative to the exhaust manifold. I replaced a bad boot on that side, but should have done the axle right from the start.

My left axle is original with 225K on it, and I'll replace it when it goes bad, not before. Axles are not preventative maintenance.

#13 · (Edited)
My 2002 Forester has been ticking in a right turn at slow speeds since I can remember... maybe since I bought it brand new. No one has ever told me in all me services that there was anything wrong. I stopped mentioning it. I now have 125K miles on it. Oh, I did have to replace the left rocker arm about 2 years ago.

**UPDATE**
Clicking got worse, still no sign of damage. I took the 2002 into a private shop and left it over night. He heard the horrible clicking in the morning and replaced the right front axle. Car rides smoother than I can ever remember. No torn boots or anything else.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.