Engine noice & shaking, normal ? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 08
Car Model: FORESTER 2.5XT
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Engine noice & shaking, normal ?

Hello Everyone, ( forgot to say, my car is not on the STOP SALE list )

I got my first Subaru 08 2.5XT last year Apr. and was up for 15,000miles next week and dealer is calling me for 15k service appointment.

Long story short, I had bring in the car right after I got it when it new last year Apr. for checking on shaking, I mean it's noticeable shaking when idle in parking lot. After tech. check & even the sales manager sit on it to feel the shaking and was told that's normal because of the turbo spinning? Will turbo spinning even idle ?

This is my first turbo & first Subaru brand, therefore I don't know if shaking (bcz has turbo ) is normal? but after 1 year of driving, I notice the shaking are same but engine noice has become little more, specially when you pouch in.

I know some of you guys has 3 to 5 Subaru cars already and is your car shaking when idle? and have you hear the noice when step on gas for around 2500-3000rpm ? ( 1.2.3 gear noticeable more ). I try to find out somehow to record the noice later on, it's pretty hard by just saying it noice, but it's more songs like the old 100k car engine..cha cha cha cha ( fast & but not too loud )

Also any recommend shop around Chicago, IL can do some pro. tune up or suggest some upgrade? Because the guy I talk to in the dealer is not very pro. when I ask what should I upgrade in order to have better handling, GUESS WHAT ? He tell me " I don't know " WTF?? How the Fxxk he working in parts dept. and don't know what upgrade parts will make my car handling better ?

Thanks for reading my long complain, but I love my 2.5xt it's great especially on highway...... (You really feel it push you in the seat)

Any comment is welcome.

Last edited by tbonesteak; 03-26-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: forgot to say, my car is not on the STOP SALE list
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S w/AT

Shaking at idle? I've never had a turbo'd motor, but it sounds more like a loose/broken motor mount.
TheEmrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: 2.5XT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Def check the mounts. Also, if the engine is not firing on one or more cylinders, you will notice alot of shacking inside the car. Check all your plugs.

It's not normal for the car to shake and the parts guys only sell parts, they don't know **** about the cars.
salvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: '06
Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

My first Subaru was a 04 WRX. It had the 2 litr turbo motor in it. Being my first Subaru I was not aware of the unique vibrations of the H4. To me it felt like the car had a "shake" movement at idle. It feld like the front of the car moved side to side at idle. This may be what you are feeling. I know that Subaru worked on softening up the motor mounts to reduce this feeling but my 06 FXT still has a little of it. Also because it was my first Turbo I was not used to the turbo wine. And as my motor broke in this sound became more prominant. And after I sound deadened the entire car, it became even louder! The Forester is definately not as loud inside as my WRX was. These are just a couple things that I noticed were unique to the Subaru. I turned 97K on it when it was totaled and it had these quirks the entire time. This is not to say that what you are hearing and feeling is not the sign of a problem. Just a thought...
norcalxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car Year: 08
Car Model: FORESTER 2.5XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalxt View Post
My first Subaru was a 04 WRX. It had the 2 litr turbo motor in it. Being my first Subaru I was not aware of the unique vibrations of the H4. To me it felt like the car had a "shake" movement at idle. It feld like the front of the car moved side to side at idle. This may be what you are feeling. I know that Subaru worked on softening up the motor mounts to reduce this feeling but my 06 FXT still has a little of it. Also because it was my first Turbo I was not used to the turbo wine. And as my motor broke in this sound became more prominant. And after I sound deadened the entire car, it became even louder! The Forester is definately not as loud inside as my WRX was. These are just a couple things that I noticed were unique to the Subaru. I turned 97K on it when it was totaled and it had these quirks the entire time. This is not to say that what you are hearing and feeling is not the sign of a problem. Just a thought...
Thank you, your info. are big help and I guess was normal then...
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty