post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester Ltd S
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine dies on gas stomp

Hey guys, got a beater Forester 2000 Limited S, it's got 310 000KM yeah its brand new..oh and btw its 5 spd stick tranny.

That aside, it runs quite well, power is surprising (Well to me).

I noticed a lot of shaking when taking off from a dead stop and also, if I'm in neutral and just randomly WOT rapidly the engine dies half a second before resuming, and when it does theres a loud "click" that can be heard (maybe just something moving in the engine bay?)

Anyone know what causes such a delay of throttle response?

I have a CEL light on, seems to be for an 'EVAPCORE' BS...

Thanks for your input.
Mat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g
Transmission: 4EAT
The loud click may be from the throttle body opening up when you go WOT. I think with that year it's probably cable operated and not drive by wire.

Could be bad gas if it's been sitting a while.
Just bear with it and run the tank empty and fill it up. (I'd put a fuel system cleaner/sea foam in with the fuel just because it has this many miles on it and you don't know what the last guy did as far as basic maintenence)

I'd also check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold. Look at all the little hoses and such. That's easy cause it'll cost you nothing.

It also could be MAF or O2 sensors being dirty or malfunctioning.
You may be able to clean them or may need to buy a new one. What's the gas mileage like? This is a good indicator of an issue with the sensors not functioning right.

Possiby clogged fuel filter or dying fuel pump.

Possibly bad/clogged injectors.
You could run some fuel system cleaner in the tank maybe.

Possibly Bad plugs.
Cheap to buy but somewhat a pain to install. Definitely not impossible though.

Rule out some of this easy stuff first. It's likely something I mentioned above.

TD05-20g @ 24psi with Stage II AWDTUNING Block
Superacerc's Journal
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: '03
Car Model: Fozzy
Transmission: Eat A Taco
Have you considered doing ANY maintanence work? Plugs, wires, oil/filter, coolant, fuel filter, air filter, clean the TB, clean the IACV...

Plugs take 15min if you pull the batt and washer bottle...

If you haven't done any of these things, you really shouldn't be asking us, not with those KMs...
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I love when people assume I'm a complete idiot because I ask a general question, of course I've done basic maintenance to it, the reason why I'm posting here is because I like my machines to run as good as possible.

Had my scanner plugged, seems theres a CAT efficiency issue, I've changed coolant and oil so far only had it for a week please allow me to take the time to go around it.

Throwing parts blindly to address an issue that can be much simpler is backyard mechanics trouble shooting, the reason I came to a specific forum was to see if there was a possible 'common' cause for these engines to act this way. Of course changing plugs, filters, pumps, wires, all fluids, clean intake, and injectors will make ANY engine run better than it was running, but as far as addressing the WOT throttle issue, I noticed my scanner does not "sense" my throttle position going to 100% when I do it quickly. Dirty TPS? Maybe.

Thanks SuperAcerC I will be looking at what you said, interesting post.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 11:16 AM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Gallery: 70
Garage
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
For the cat issue check this sticky: P0420 - Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold

I'd say there is also a possibility that the cat is clogged.

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiad7 View Post
For the cat issue check this sticky: P0420 - Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold

I'd say there is also a possibility that the cat is clogged.
Wouldn't I suffer noticeable performance issues? Acceleration 1 through 4th is plenty for the size of the rig. (Unless it can be much better?)

I read your article through a couple of pages, Why do these cars have two cats? Are both "banana shapes" cats or is there a resonator in one of the two?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

They also speak of a mechanical fix, are these "foulers" that you install to space the O2 sensor?

To think of it, the engine does consume a bit of oil (couple of clouds when starting from cold) there's definitely a lot of carbon buildup in general I will seafoam it this weekend (Tank, intake, oil) and clean as much as I can, I will also inspect hoses (vacuum and such) get a clean air filter and make sure the box is clean and seals right
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastickmat View Post
I love when people assume I'm a complete idiot because I ask a general question, of course I've done basic maintenance to it, the reason why I'm posting here is because I like my machines to run as good as possible.

Had my scanner plugged, seems theres a CAT efficiency issue, I've changed coolant and oil so far only had it for a week please allow me to take the time to go around it.

Throwing parts blindly to address an issue that can be much simpler is backyard mechanics trouble shooting, the reason I came to a specific forum was to see if there was a possible 'common' cause for these engines to act this way. Of course changing plugs, filters, pumps, wires, all fluids, clean intake, and injectors will make ANY engine run better than it was running, but as far as addressing the WOT throttle issue, I noticed my scanner does not "sense" my throttle position going to 100% when I do it quickly. Dirty TPS? Maybe.

Thanks SuperAcerC I will be looking at what you said, interesting post.
You're the one that didn't give the info... When you don't post the things YOU'VE ALREADY DONE.... WHAT do you expect exactly?? Please, explain..

Quoted from another post because I just get soooo effin SICK of typing it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX View Post
EVERY time someone like yourself posts a thread like this and DOESN'T include the PERTENIENT info.... a kitten dies...

If I had a frikkin DIME for everytime this has happened, I'd own a new Fozzy with all the fixins..

Last edited by Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX; 11-17-2012 at 05:02 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

First of all, instead of quoting a spelling mistake you'd probably be best retyping it out and realize its "Pertinent"...

Are you kidding me? The PERTINIENT info I just added was that I changed the oil, and changed the coolant. Keeping a basic understanding of mechanics, old coolant and shitty as hell OIL have no link to throttle response. As for the rest, I guess a "Cat efficiency" could affect Thrott resp. but my guess is not. What I expect? Everybody else posted things way beyond my expectancy, as in they've actually tried to help me instead of being Mr.Obvious. Seriously, a forum like this with people like you make many wonder what the "F*" the point is if your gonna be arrogant with everyone who doesn't apply to your individual standards of a CORRECT POST.

For the rest of you,

I did observe through my OBD2 reader that my TPS is very SLOW at picking up quick throttle variations, do these things 'get old?' Would a new one have benefits?

I also cleaned the TB today, bought two cans of Seafoam filled the tank with one, and used the second in vacuums, intake, the TB is still quite dirty to my standards its hard to get it cleaned completely. One thing I'm unsure of is the correct way to make sure the IACV valve 'IS' clean, I find the engine has a very low IDLE when cold? Do subarus idle as high as Toyotas? My IS300 idles at like 2500 at cold and gradually comes down, so did my 22RE in my Pickup 91, the Foz idles at like 1500 on startup and goes to like 800-900RPM quite fast even when still cold is this a problem or are they like this?
Thanks again all!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy GT LTD
Transmission: 6 spd
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
They don't idle that high generally when warming. Mine does around 1k rpm when cold then goes down to 600-700. The actual tps may not be slow to react; the signal from the sensor to the ecm then to your scan gauge is probably the cause of the delay.

Since you say you did the basics it may be a good idea to pull the plugs and see how they all look after some time in the engine. Before the seafoam, that may help you determine the next course of action. Sluggish throttle response can be a lot of things, even the fuel you are using. (Winter blend)

Sent from my Torch!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g
Idle is set at 700-750 on these from the factory. Mine slides well above 1000 on start up and comes back down after the warming period ends. Could be your iac.

easiest thing to do it look up your IAC on a parts website so you can see a picture of it (if you dont know what it looks like)... they're normally very easy to get to.

To clean it you can fill the ports up with carb cleaner/gum cutter/etc... let it sit for ~15 minutes.... dump it out... refill and let it sit for another 5-10 minutes.... then spray the hell out of it.... let it dry and reinstall. Sometimes this work and clears up the issues for a long time, other times it works for just a few days and the symptoms come back (in which case you'd just order a new one).

Responses on this forum are typically pretty helpful. Dont be discouraged. Its far better than nasioc.

TD05-20g @ 24psi with Stage II AWDTUNING Block
Superacerc's Journal
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: forester
Transmission: at
With any older car I ever had, i look at the ground wires... most likely the poor factory installed grounds wires at gone... a new set of wires does a major improovements to the running of the engine... and in your case, the car may die because it does not get the right amount of electricity at WOT, could be, and if it is not, i assure you the engine will run better, in fact ANY CAR with better grounding will run, let say, better.
Hope it does help you, good luck.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks all, very interesting, I readjusted the TPS a little it showed 1.5% with throttle off, I set it at 0, still get 100% a full throttle (on my scanner tool)

Something peculiar I've noticed is when cold (-6 or 7 degrees Celsius these days) if I rev it in neutral its hangs at higher rpms and slowly crawls down.

As it warms up throttle response gets quicker, but one thing that doesn't disappear is the lag from Off throttle to ON I did a pretty brutal seafoam to it, had a whole can in the tank, one completely emptied in the TB brushing with a small toothbrush everywhere around the TB valve, than introducing gradually another can in the vacuums all this at 4-5000 RPMs give it a good rinse. Still strong and happy to see it.

Runs a shitload better power is a little more present on resume, running strong.

So I'm the type to test out hunches, I feel like finding another TPS to try out wonder if its worth it.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

The previous owner seems to have "mixed" wire brands I have two red plug wires, and 2 black, I feel like getting 4 plugs and 4 wires... wonder if it would change much
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 AM

I got a great idea, why don't you dig into sensors and all sorts of OTHER things...

Before you check and/or replace the plug/wires/fuel filter/air filter.... lets see, what else as part of a NORMAL preventive maintainence routine when you buy a car with THAT much mileage...

O2 sensors come to mind...

You buy a car with 310km on it drop the oil and coolant and then come here asking WHY its not running right...

No, no I'm not kidding you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.