('03-'05) DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester Xs
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005-Power door lock actuator replacement

Hello (Moderators feel free to move this post),

I replaced my 2005 Subaru Forester XS drivers side power door lock actuator this past weekend. I will detail the removal and installation process.

First, the Subaru part number for the Forester drivers side power door actuator for the 2003 - 2008 MY is: 61100AE011. The process for removal and installation is as follows:

1) Remove the door panel: A)Remove upper triangular piece of plastic which covers the wire harness to the power mirror, carefully lift an edge of plastic and pull away from the door. B)Use screw driver to lift tab from Inner Door Latch plastic piece and remove Phillis head screw, separate outer plastic trim piece from inner plastic door latch piece, outer piece "Snaps" into inner piece with plastic nubs. C) Remove Drivers Power Window, Power Mirror, Power Door Lock plastic control module from arm rest by flipping up screw cover in door pull well and unscrewing Phillips head screw. Carefully lift up electrical module and disconnect power mirror wire harness and power door lock / power window wire harness, both plugs have tabs that are pushed to remove. D) From bottom of door panel carefully lift plastic panel slowly working your way up toward the top of the door panel, the entire piece comes off as a single piece. (NOTE: Follow instructions for speaker replacement to remove the door panel).

2) Peel back inner plastic sheet covering openings in door for access to door latch / actuator. Remove power door lock wire harness holder (plastic piece) from the door. Remove the lower 10mm screw / bolt from power door actuator. Remove 10mm nut / washer assemble from Window guide stud and carefully push the window guide from door(move up and out of the way).

3) Pivot the green plastic door lock rod retainer off the door lock rod (rod from door lock to latch assembly) by pushing the "U" plastic grove piece off the lock rod and pivot out of the way. Unsnap the upper door latch cover up and out of the way so the door handle rod is free to be removed from the latch assembly.

4) Remove the three Phillips head screws securing the door latch assembly / power door actuator to the drivers side door. I used my impact driver Phillips head bit in a 5/16 socket and a 3/8" to 1/2" socket adapter along with a 1/2" ratchet wrench. This allows easy "breaking of the screws with no slippage of the bit out of the screw head. Push the plastic door latch release handle (where you open the door from inside the car) cable assembly toward the back of the drivers side door and remove from the door.

5) Carefully fish the door latch / power door actuator out of the door(the cable and inner door latch release need to be fished out as well). The tough part here is getting the assembly past the lower window guide, pay close attention on how you fish the assembly out of the door as you need to reverse the process to get the assembly back into the door.

6) Remove the two Phillips screws holding the power door lock actuator to the door latch. Pay careful attention to how the plastic actuator interfaces to the door latch assembly. Remove the power door lock electrical connector.

7) Assemble the new power door lock actuator to the door latch, make sure the plastic actuator lever assembly is inserted into the door latch as the old one was. Replace the two Phillips head screws and insert the power door lock electrical connector into the new actuator.

8) Fish the cable and inner door release mechanism into the door the same way you removed it in step 5. Follow this by fishing the new power door lock actuator / door latch assemble back into the door. The tough part is getting the assemble past the lower window guide. Once you get things into position replace the three door latch screws to hold the assembly in place.

9) Place the inner release door handle mechanism back onto the door, make sure the cables follow the original routing through the door. Insert the outer door handle release rod into the door latch and close / snap the upper cover into place. Pivot the green plastic rod lock onto door lock rod and snap lock it into place.

10) Put 10mm Phillips head screw bolt back into lower power door lock actuator door bracket and tighten. Replace window guide stud back into door and place 10mm washer / nut onto stud and tighten. Put power door lock wire harness plastic insert into door (this keeps power door lock wires from moving). Replace inner protective plastic liner back into place.

11) Reverse the door panel removal process to put door panel back onto door.

When done you should have a working drivers side power door lock (this assumes you actuator is bad as mine was).

Most of this will become clear as you open up your door and start the job and try to follow the instructions. Pictures would have been nice but I just could not get the detail inside the door, sorry about that.

Lots of luck, Russ

Last edited by rberman999@verizon.net; 06-14-2011 at 07:31 AM.
rberman999@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: forester 2.5X MT
Default thanks!

I had the same problem with my '06 Forester. Your instructions made it an easy job... the only thing I'd like to add is my '06's window track was easily removable by taking out the two bolts at the top, along with the nut at the bottom. That made getting the actuator/lock out a piece of cake. The hard part was remembering to get the wiring harness thru the door panel, and the plastic panel reinstalled. Luckily, the door panel clips work well! And, FWIW, my local dealer matched the best internet price + shipping for the replacement part: $78 in my case.
Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Default Driver Side Actuator 1

I recently replaced my drivers side actuator. I followed the instructions from rberman999 and tried to take pictures along the way.
Part number for 2006 FXT is same.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-partno.jpg  
carcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Driver Side Actuator 2

Step 1: Removing the interior door panel is as described. No pictures of actually removing the door panel but it is the easiest part. Just pull from the bottom and then lift up off the door when clips are loose.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-inthand1.jpg   DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-inthand2.jpg   DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-doorsw1.jpg   DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-doorsw2.jpg   DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-speak1.jpg  

DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-speak2.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Driver Side Actuator 3

Step 2:Peel back plastic. Carefull not to tear it. Pictures have red circles around the bolt that hold the actuator, the nut that hold the window guide and the plastic clip holding the wire harness. The guide is full of grease so you may want to get a pair of gloves when handling it. Note that you need to remove 2 screws at the top of the door just above the 3 screws you remove to remove the latch assembly (no picture of this, sorry )
Attached Thumbnails
DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-door1.jpg   DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-door2.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Driver Side Actuator 4

Step 3: Unhook the rod that goes to the exterior door lock (green retainer) AND unhook the rod that goes up to the exterior door handle (Yellow retainer). I wasn't able to get a clear pic of the yellow retainer but it comes off the same way the green one does. It is way up there, opposite the exterior door handle. You will need to undo this one by feel. The exterior door handle rod is in the third pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-lcklnk1.jpg   DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-lcklnk2.jpg   DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-handlink.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Driver Side Actuator 5

Steps 4 & 5. No pictures. Well described above. The three phillips head screws came off rather easily for me. No need for an impact driver. Carefully remove the whole assmbly out of the door. Disconnect electrical connection to the actuator.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Driver Side Actuator 6

Step 6 & 7: Once the latch/actuator assy is out, it is rather easy.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-latch.jpg   DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-act1.jpg   DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-act2.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Driver Side Actuator 7

Steps 8-11. No pictures but if you got this far, you can complete it as described above. Take care to replace the window guide in the right place. Generally, if you can install the two screws and one nut without too much forcing, it is in the right position. One last pic of the actuator interior. The black dust is from me using a hack saw to open the case.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI-Power door lock actuator replacement-actuator.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty