Do you do your own oil changes while still under warranty? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Do you do your own oil changes while still under warranty?

This might sound like a silly question but....

Does anyone do their own oil changes even though your Forester is still under full factory or extended warranty? I am seriously considering this (I do keep the bills for the oil & filters I use for our Foresters) but am worried without any bill that states the date of the oil changes & (knock on wood) I should have a problem that the dealership can deny a warranty claim. Thoughts & opinions are appreciated.

I ask because my wife's 03 FXS is almost at the 60k mile (100k KM) mark & I will be doing the oil changes on her's from here on in......this saves me significant time & money, plus I enjoy changing my own oil anyway.

Bren

Proud owners of a 03 XS & 2005 Lexus ES330
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 04:10 AM

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: '06 FXT
On every new car I have owned, including the FXT, I have changed the oil under waranty. One engine failure on a Chevy 20 years ago - They never questioned oil or who changed the oil.

FXTIam
'06 FXT
4EAT
"STi" engine upgrade
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 04:22 AM
BLUE WASABI
(#2 Info Provider)

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: SG Model D
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
my.subaru.com

You can see all upcoming needed/routine services and can log it all in. I have done every single oil change on my car since getting it. When it was in warranty and now that it is not. You will not have any problems and they can't deny you warranty coverage b/c you change your oil and oil filter yourself as long as you keep a record of it...and that it was done at the correct intervals.

Also, you should talk to ROO about getting a fumoto oil drain valve...it will make life a lot easier when changing the oil and you will never need to buy another stupid crush washer again.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 AM
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I've never not changed my own oil in all the new cars I've owned. Unless they give you the stuff free and you document the changes in a book or something, they can not deny anything. I've had my record book photo copied for repairs in the past. That was for a turbo failure on a different car (ford)

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester
I've done my own oil since 1973.....that includes a Chevy Vega (I was young and stupid, now I'm old and not THAT stupid), a series of Hondas (1977, 1983 and 1990 Accords, 1992 Civic and a 1998 CRV) and the Subie.....ditto the suggestion to get a Fumoto oil valve........makes life SO MUCH easier.

Takes me 10 minutes to dump the oil and filter myself. Biggest trick is to capture the old oil that spills out from around the filter base when you unscrew it. I've tried using a plastic bag around it but some invariably spills out anyway.

Moving my intervals from 3-4000 miles to 6000 miles based on other Forum members' suggestion. My driving is all 60 MPH commutes so the load on the drivetrain is nil.

Steve

2003 X AT
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:01 AM
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Chevy Vega, only car I've ever seen not run if the oil gets low. Somehow it's set up to run the fuel pump off of the oil pressure. Not a bad idea if you think about it.

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Impreza Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty
Chevy Vega, only car I've ever seen not run if the oil gets low. Somehow it's set up to run the fuel pump off of the oil pressure. Not a bad idea if you think about it.
I worked on many of them, when in high school and college working at a service station. They were one of the few cars at that time with an electric fuel pump. That was to prevent too much fuel pressure or a possible fire. Good idea if you think of it. It had a delay relay start the pump for 5 secs until the engine started so there would be fuel. Another thing they had a Clutch safety switch which was also not common then. AND the starter relay was hooked to that oil pressure switch also so you couldn't GRIND the starter while the engine was running.
DOWN SIDE..not knowing about these made a defective oil switch a tough no start / run condition to diagnose.

On the subject of this thread, I can't tell you the last time someone, other than me, change the oil or did repairs on any vehicle we owned since the last 60's. ( Except body work from accidents )

98S, 2014 Impreza 5 dr Ltd (9 Subaru's since 1978, 7 were 5 sp) ILuvSubaru's
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak

Car Model: XS
Cool

Thanks everyone.

Bren

Proud owners of a 03 XS & 2005 Lexus ES330
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:04 PM

Do my own too! Don't trust anyone else and certainly not the quick lube places! Also, I don't want the access cover replaced with maybe half of the screws put back in.

'05 Forester XT Auto (Stock), '02 Chevy S10 2wd Std Cab Auto (modded 4.3)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Forum Member

I guess it's time to come out of the closet: I also am a former Vega owner (In fact I owned 2!)

Just did the first oil change on my new 06FX. A word of caution to new Subie oil changers, make sure you have the proper oil filter wrench!!! My previous cars all had bigger filters, nothing I had worked on the Forester, so I changed oil and left the filter on. There is no room around the filter for trying different apparati and they put stuff on very tight at the factory.

I'll be doing another oil change tomorrow after I buy a filter wrench!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 06:29 AM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Garage
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinerider
Just did the first oil change on my new 06FX. A word of caution to new Subie oil changers, make sure you have the proper oil filter wrench!!! My previous cars all had bigger filters, nothing I had worked on the Forester, so I changed oil and left the filter on. There is no room around the filter for trying different apparati and they put stuff on very tight at the factory.

I'll be doing another oil change tomorrow after I buy a filter wrench!
Hand-tightening works just fine, then you don't need to pry it loose with an oil filter wrench next time around!

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 AM

Car Year: 1998
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIEV
Ah, the memories!!
I had a 74 dark green wagon and a lime green 74 Pontiac Astre GT coupe. I drove the Vega wagon for about 3 years, it had about 100,000 miles on it and burned a quart of oil for each tank of gas, but the valves were shot, not the pistons or block.
The Vega block ended up in the Astre with the Astre cyclinder head,ran pretty good for the short time I had it (sold it while it still looked and ran good)
The 74 Vega had less ground clearance than my friend's 1964 Corvette, and combined with rear wheel drive made walking a viable alternative during snow storms.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:26 AM

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: X 4eat
Oil change at home

I have always performed my own oil changes, Not only does it cost less, but I know the job was done properly- with my choice of oil and filter.

2010 Camaro SS 3LT
2007 Subaru Imp.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:18 AM

Car Year: 1998
Doing yourself is almost always better.
Jiffy Lube and other 10 minut places are BS.
They dont give enough time for old oil to come out before they put the new one in.
Doing it at home - you got more time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.