Differential fluid change.... - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Differential fluid change....

Any one had it done at the delear? How much did they charge you? I just talked with my delear and they said it's 80.00, for 80.00 to be honest I don't want to be even bothered with it. I know that I could pay like 30% of the price if I would do it myself but my time is worth more to me than that :).

2010 Forester X Premium 4AT
PU 5w-30 & OEM Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
has awakened!

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
I'm with you! It's not that difficult to do, but not really something that I want to mess with. My trusted Subaru dealership did the work on my Foresters. Your cost is lower than what I paid, but I upgraded to Redline synthetic, which costs a bit more.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Rogers Fairlea Subaru in West Virginia...$18.37 including environmental charge and sales Tax.

I brought Mobil 1 oil for them to put in.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: '06 STi 6MT
final four pregame show = jack up car, remove drain plug and let old fluid drain.
watch the first half
half time = pump new fluid in and clean up
watch second half
ridiculously long time outs = lower car and get another beer.

haha well in all seriousness...just save the money and do it yourself!

2004 FXT Stg2 6MT DCCDPro R180 5x114.3
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
My dealer will do it for free if they're already doing other service and I bring fluid. 80$ is kind of crazy, its less work than an oilchange.

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks guys. Yeah I know it's easy and dose not take much time, but there are things that in my opinion are not even worth the trouble. Just like changing engine oil, why should I do it myself if it only cost me 29.99 to do it? To save few $ I make way more than that an hour, so for me is no brainer. Same when comes to DF fluid change, why bother? I don't bother with most stuff till they over 500.00.

PU 5w-30 & OEM Filter
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraktal View Post
final four pregame show = jack up car, remove drain plug and let old fluid drain.
watch the first half
half time = pump new fluid in and clean up
watch second half
ridiculously long time outs = lower car and get another beer.

haha well in all seriousness...just save the money and do it yourself!
Well, if you lowered your ride you would have to jack it up. I didn't need too.. plenty of room. I paid $4.97 for a bottle of Supertech 75W90 GL-5 from Walmart for my differential change. I make good money when I work....but I don't give it away.

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: '06 STi 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by snajper69 View Post
Just like changing engine oil, why should I do it myself if it only cost me 29.99 to do it? To save few $ I make way more than that an hour, so for me is no brainer. Same when comes to DF fluid change, why bother? I don't bother with most stuff till they over 500.00.
stuff like that is half the fun/responsibility of owning, maintaining, and modifying a car IMO. nothing wrong with paying somebody else to do it though. i have just read one too many horror stories between a lot of car forums of people having their oil changed by some kid "tech" that resulted in bad things happening to their engine upon driving out of the parking lot.

you could pay me $29.99 for a swift kick in the rear, but that doesn't mean you'd do that now would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Well, if you lowered your ride you would have to jack it up. I didn't need too.. plenty of room. I paid $4.97 for a bottle of Supertech 75W90 GL-5 from Walmart for my differential change. I make good money when I work....but I don't give it away.
yeah my car is lowered, so good point. i did all the 30k maintenance myself last month so i had to jack it up anyways hehe.

2004 FXT Stg2 6MT DCCDPro R180 5x114.3
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:51 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Quote:
Thanks guys. Yeah I know it's easy and dose not take much time, but there are things that in my opinion are not even worth the trouble.
True...I actually enjoying doing it though. I am very meticulous and I feel better about the job bc I did it myself.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
True...I actually enjoying doing it though. I am very meticulous and I feel better about the job bc I did it myself.
True ;) but one thing I don't like is changing fluids ;) I always spill something on my floors ;) and since I use my garage as a training ground in bad weather for my dogs I don't like to see the stains ;) my dogs concentrate more on the smells than work ;). Plus I like my garage to be clean and neat like my living room ;) and I would def not change my oil in my leaving room ;) lol I know COD after my mother lol ;)

PU 5w-30 & OEM Filter
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5-Gear Manual
Quote:
Any one had it done at the delear? How much did they charge you? I just talked with my delear and they said it's 80.00, for 80.00 to be honest I don't want to be even bothered with it. I know that I could pay like 30% of the price if I would do it myself but my time is worth more to me than that :).
$80 isnt bad if its front and rear. The fluid may be 5-10 a qt but dealer time is usually 75-110/HR for a tech. Your in there for at least a 1/2 hr. If the dealer has well trained OC tech whom they pay a much lower rate, then you would get a better price - also if the car is on the lift for other stuff. BTW if you have an MT, the trans/diff fluid is critical to maintain shift quality - there are other threads that go into THAT issue. AFA changing my own - I dont like doing trans fluid NOT on a lift; I just tried on my YARIS MT and could NOT get the 24mm fill plug loose with a 1/2 metre long breaker bar! On a second try, I had no clearance to use the trusty offset box wrench and hammer method, alternatively. This is fill #2 coming out so, its good for life anyhow

Last edited by AlleyCat; 03-30-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: punk chew ate shun
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Subaru Forester XT
Transmission: 5 speed manual.
I bought a quart of Amsoil for $12? Did it myself. I used a grease/oil gun with a hose at the end to fill it back up. It was messy, and stinky.. but not hard.

2004 Subaru Forester XT. 5MT Java Black Pearl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.