Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2015 - CVT transmission refill?

('14-'18) 
46K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  boureesub 
#1 ·
Hello,

I accidentally drained the transmission fluid in my wife's forester and I have seen several posts about this but didn't see the answer to my question. I had the car towed to the dealer for fear of messing up the transmission and I just got a call that they are charging me $350. $140 for the fluid (which I knew), but an hour and a half of labor for the refill and having to do a transmission relearn. I asked about the relearn but they wouldn't tell me anything other than that the tech said it had to be done.

Does anyone know if this is a required step in the process of refilling transmission fluid? I did not start the car or move it or anything, so I don't understand why they can't just fill it back up with the transmission fluid. If anyone has any more information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Sounds like a load of BS.

They need to set the fluid based off temperature. Which would involve putting the scan tool and getting the transmission to temp. I'm not sure if that is whats called a relearn. Unfortunately you can tow it in, tell them to do it then complain about the price. They got you. You can insist that they are making something up. You can try emailing SOA after to see if they will help you out.

in the future you can just measure what you drained, go to the parts store and fill up the same amount of new fluid and put that back in. assuming you got everything in your drain bucket.

#4 ·
in the future you can just measure what you drained, go to the parts store and fill up the same amount of new fluid and put that back in. assuming you got everything in your drain bucket.
Don't do this.

The CVT needs to be filled to a specific level at a specific temperature with a specific fluid (Subaru CVT fluid only).

#10 ·
The dealer? I assume Subaru Select Monitor...?

Also, to the discussion earlier in the thread about fluid replacement ("drain and fill" not a "flush"), if I'm reading the service manual right, there is no specified capacity - you refill what you drain, and then you check the level while the fluid is up to a specified temperature range:

#11 ·
You absolutely can drain the fluid cold, measure the amount you took out and add that same amount of ambient temp fluid back in. You should however pull the level check/refill plug with the unit up to temperature to make sure CVT fluid does dribble out. If it GUSHES, it's overfull. Obviously the Subaru OM is going to make is sound scary so you use your dealer for service.

FWIW, I just did two D/F's on my 2016 Nissan Quest CVT. Super easy. Very glad I did it. Luckily Nissan NS-3 CVT sauce is easy to get mail order for ~$10/qt. Curiously it's blue like the Subie juice.

#13 ·
I just did two D/F's on my 2016 Nissan Quest CVT. Super easy. mail order for ~$10/qt. Curiously it's blue like the Subie juice.
The Jatco CVTs used by Nissan are a different beast to Subaru's. For one thing it is designed for easy fluid replacement being unsealed with a dipstick to check levels. What works for them is not necessarily applicable to Subaru CVTs.

As an aside, Nissan CVTs have a very poor reputation. I wonder if at least part of the problem is that they are unsealed.

#15 ·
Sorry for the Novella here. First time poster here.

I've got a question about draining and refilling a 2015 CVT on 2.0 XT. I feel like I didn't get enough fluid back into my transmission and I'm worried I'm going to burn it up.

Got it up on stands, totally level. Engine is cold. Decided to pull the fill plug first cause. I wanted to make sure I could refill it before I drained it. Removed the fill plug and 2 quarts of CVT fluid drains! I was expecting a dribble. Not 2 quarts of cold fluid.

Then I pull the drain plug. I get another 3.5 quarts. 5.5 quarts total drained. That's what I was expecting, but not 2 quarts above the fill plug.

I refilled with cold ENEOS ECO CVT (blue in color). I get about 3 quarts in, hand pumping, before is starts dribbling out of the fill plug (was hoping for 5.5, uh oh).

I put the fill plug on hand tight and ran the engine for a couple minutes through all the gears to get the oil temp warmed up. I don't have a scan tool to measure temperature. Took a guess at what 99F feels like, warm, not hot.

Pulled the fill plug, nothing dribbled out, so I added another ½ quart before it dribbled out a little. Put the fill plug back on, repeat the running of the transmission through all the gears for a couple of minutes.

Pull the fill plug, no dribbles, so I again add another ½ quart till I get a dribble. Repeat the transmission run-through-the-gears. On the third check I got a little stream when I pulled the fill plug. So I figure it's full, but I drained 5.5 quarts, and only re-filled with 4 quarts.

It's weird that 2 quarts. came out from a fill plug. Wondering if I got the "right fill plug". It's a 9mm allen socket, on the left side (drivers side) of transmission assembly (opposite side of drain plug), facing toward the rear of the car. Mind you this is from a 2.0XT, NOT a 2.5. Everything I'm finding on YouTube is a 2.5. The drawing above does look just like my CVT. In the images below, the red line on the screw head is mine, so I would know where to torque to.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Sleeve
Grey Sleeve Automotive design Bag Automotive tire

#16 ·
You do not have to do a relearn for a refill.
Total BS. You only do a relearn when you replace the valve body. You do need to get the transmission up to temperature otherwise you won’t get a proper fill. The cvt fluid expands and has to circulate.

These dealerships are so money hungry that they start making things up. The FSM does not mention relearn for cvtf refill. I went through the same thing and after arguing with the service manager, he relented and quoted me $235 for a drain/fill.

The cvtf pan is flat. Engine oil pan is bulbous.
Too many overzealous DIYers that are not taking the time to research an oil change. Sorry this happened but at least you didn’t drive or overfill your engine oil.

The FSM pages above are only a few pages.
Getting up to the right temperature will get the transmission filled to correct level. You risk under filling otherwise. Some have not been able to fill the amount that was drained.

#17 · (Edited)
@gflu63 , pretty sure @Theseus161 was responding to post #1, not your recent one.

Oy vey, where to start? The XT tranny uses the orange hi-torq fluid, not the stuff you put in. Suggest you get the right stuff and do a few drain/fills. You've a mix of fluids in your tranny at this point.

I don't understand why you were surprised a lot of fluid came out the fill port with the engine off. Do you understand that fluid level is set with the engine running.

Guessing at the CVT fluid temperature is just bad practice. Subaru specifies a temp range so you get the right fill level. If you don't have a scan tool, maybe you have IR temp reader? Better than nothing. It will read below actual.

As to draining 5 quarts and putting back a quart and a half less... if the engine is off, you're going to underfill. Set the level with the engine running (with the proper fluid, at the proper temperature).

My recommendation, based on what you have posted, is to take it to the dealer, tell them what you put in it, and ask them to make it right.

#18 ·
@boureesub Thanks for the feedback. Headed to the Dealer tomorrow. A $65 lesson learned. I'll get the dealer to flush and fill. Would hate to F up the tranny cause I under filled with the wrong oil. I've got a scanner on order for the next time.
Question - what is the orange hi torque fluid you recommend for the XT?

#19 ·
I wont buy used cars
[emoji1749]

If I were you Id ask the dealer if the tech assigned to your car has done this job before, dont assume he has, and if a “flush” simply replaces what it flushes out, we are speaking quantity here, or brings it back factory spec. I have no idea personally, but Id ask because obviously your starting from a incorrect level.
If not maybe ask for a drain and fill, and in that case maybe a few times since you have the incorrect fluid type in there.
Good luck, keep us posted

Did I mention to you fellas I wont buy used ?
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
The 6 previous postings are why I always advise anyone wanting to change their CVT fluid to completely understand the task before attempting to perform the job DIY.

There are numerous examples on this forum where folks have attempted to do this (mostly to save a few $$$) and ending up spending more than they would have originally spent having a competent shop do it for them.

There‘s absolutely nothing wrong with a DIY change, but it’s not something one can fudge much on without causing some rather expensive problems later on down the line. A quart low on an engine oil exchange in itself won’t necessarily cause engine issues, and it’s easy to remedy. A quart low on aa CVT fluid may give completely different results.

Study the process before attempting… ensure you have the proper and necessary tools, fluid, and instructions… then, take the appropriate time to do the job without trying to rush it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.