Creaking noise from underneath car - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Creaking noise from underneath car

My 2009 X Prem Forester has been making this creaking noise for the last 3 or 4 months. I'm at 18,943 miles. I love my car! I just don't know whats causing the noise. Its only at slow speeds mostly. 20 and under. Its not loud but seems more noticeable on uneven surfaces or when the car is unbalanced. They replaced the front bushings ( sway bar) last week. The noise has returned and it seems to be coming from the rear end now.Back in for repairs tomorrow. Any ideas would be much appreciated since I know so little about repairs. Also, my gas cap tither snapped off yesterday. Is this still under warranty for the cap? Thanks to all for the help!

Last edited by Heather; 06-30-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car Year: 1998

It is hard to say what could cause this type of noise there are so many possible causes. Your dealer should be able to take care of it. The gas cap should be covered.
craigbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up my Forester from the dealership. They said it was the rear hatch misaligned. They loosened and aligned striker to fix problem. Unfortunately, it still makes the noise. It sounds like something is loose or rubbing underneath the car; not in the rear. What it is seems to be a mystery. I will be going back a 3rd time when we returned from heading out west this week. Hopefully we will have a great trip. I was hoping the dealership would have had this taken care of. Thank you for your help! Should I go to a different dealership? Also, they told me that the gas tether is not covered under warranty.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 49 reviews

That's BS about the gas cap tether not being covered. It's not like that's considered a wear item. I'd try another dealership if it's convenient.
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car Year: 1998

Have you taken the technician for a ride with you and pointed out the noise that you are concerned about? Noises can be very hard to track down and the technician may have heard a different noise.
craigbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

The first trip in for repair; the tech rode with me and heard the noise. Bushings (sway bar) were replaced. When I got home still making noise not as loud. Its not a loud noise but still annoying to hear this in my car thats not very old. I think the noise is toward the back but its hard to tell.The engine sounds fine . Would it be in the rear area that needs to be replaced (bushings) if they already did up front.. The Rep said that some of the 2009 Foresters bushings (rubber piece) might have dried out causing the noise. Has anyone else heard of this problem with 2009 Foresters? As for the tether for the gas cap; SOA rep told me its not covered which isn't fair after 1 year and a half. I'm really not that rough filling up my gas tank! Oh well, I still love my Forester just not the noise its making right now. Thanks to all for your imput, it really does help. Going out West to explore with my husband. Wish us well. I will follow up when we return in a week or so. Back to the drawing board. Oh I mean; the Dealership. UGG! Thanks Again; for your replys!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 49 reviews

I'd hit the sway bar bushings (front and rear) with some silicone lube and see if that solves the issue.

Also have a look at this thread: Squeaking from the front suspension
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty