('14+) Correct oil filter for 2017 Forester XT? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 46
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Correct oil filter for 2017 Forester XT?

Hello All,

I just got back from my 6,000 mile maintenance checkup at the Subaru dealer. I was told by the dealer that the wrong oil filter had been installed by Valvoline. The service advisor said, "They installed the short one when they should have installed the tall one." He also said they had overfilled the oil tank because they hadn't waited 10 minutes after filling to check the oil levels with the dipstick.

I called Valvoline and spoke to the manager on duty and told him what the Subaru advisor said. He immediately knew what I was talking about and said, "We've been told by Subaru to only install the short filters. We don't even carry the tall filters."

He did apologize about the overfill and offered to remedy that.

Can anyone comment on the short versus tall filter debate. Some basic googling failed me on the 2017 Forester XTs.

Thanks!

metro_0888 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Forum Member
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 591
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Correct oil filter for 2017 Forester XT?

No on the filter but who fills the oil using the dipstick as the indictor of when full ? Thats bizarre if Im understanding you correctly.
On a 2.5 Its 5.1 quarts or to keep it stupid simple, 5 quarts end of story.
Drain sump, remove filter, install new filter, reinstall sump plug, pour in 5 quarts, close hood.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StanF and Busaru2016 like this.
DockingPilot is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Forum Member
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 591
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Correct oil filter for 2017 Forester XT?

Unless the XT is somehow different in this regard.
DockingPilot is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Forum Member
 
YoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Posts: 1,691
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Foz 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would avoid quickie oil change places like the plague. It is not "Valvoline"...it is some franchise owner who hires high school dropouts to sell you stuff you don't need and cross-thread oil pan drain bolts and put in the wrong weight oil.

In particular, Subarus use a specific bypass valve pressure in their filters and very few aftermarket filters will meet their official spec although they will probably filter your oil OK...but if you have an engine failure, good luck trying to get a settlement.

Likewise, your dealer is not "Subaru", but rather your Subaru dealer. But they support the factory warranty, will use factory-spec filters and oil for sure, and if they mess anything up, they will be directly responsible to fix it and be accountable to Subaru for the warranty.

George
Busaru2016 likes this.

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
YoGeorge is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Forum Member
 
Change_agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 305
Car Year: 2011
Car Model: CDN Convenience Pkg
Transmission: 4AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It is true the 2017 takes the tall one, the only aftermarket that fits the Subaru bypass valve psi is a WIX. Otherwise two Subaru short ones fit according to some on the forms is the one from the BRZ aa130 or the WRX aa170 which has the same motor as the XT. Best to get it done at a Subaru dealer, however, if you like Valvaine..bring it to them to put in. However, others can attest the turbo motors like Motul or Penzoil Ultra Platinum.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Change_agent is online now  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Forum Member
 
YoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Posts: 1,691
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Foz 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Actually, my Subaru dealer in the Detroit area uses Valvoline as their standard non-synthetic oil. So does the Honda dealer we use for my wife's Civic. I don't know why, but it seems as though Valvoline has almost a monopoly on selling oil to dealers of all car brands.

One exception is the Ford dealer I had used for my van--they use Motorcraft syn blend (which is recommended by Ford) and that is really good oil.

I have never had an oil-related engine problem with Valvoline; my wife's Civic has 142k miles on it and we have always taken it to the dealer.

One advantage of using a dealer for your oil changes is that you get face time with the Service Manager or the service writers, and if you have a warranty issue, they will be more likely to help you and work in your favor.

George
Change_agent likes this.

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
YoGeorge is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Forum Member
 
Change_agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 305
Car Year: 2011
Car Model: CDN Convenience Pkg
Transmission: 4AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post

One advantage of using a dealer for your oil changes is that you get face time with the Service Manager or the service writers, and if you have a warranty issue, they will be more likely to help you and work in your favor.

George


Agreed, it has paid off for me great service from Budds in Oakville, Ontario


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Change_agent is online now  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Admin
 
GeoJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 12,750
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
One exception is the Ford dealer I had used for my van--they use Motorcraft syn blend (which is recommended by Ford) and that is really good oil.
That is because Motorcraft is owned by Ford Motor Company.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GeoJosh is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 46
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks everyone for your help.

I guess the only question that remains is whether having the "short" filter is a problem. Should I have Subaru remove it and put on the OEM one?

Yes, I'm aware going to Valvoline isn't ideal, but my nearest Subaru dealer is over a half hour away AND their availability for service is pretty backed up. With a seven-month-old infant, it's tough to know that I'll for sure have two hours of available time two Saturdays from now.

Change_Agent: You mention Wix. Using their look-up system, I'm coming up with the Wix 57055 oil filter? Does this look like the correct "tall" filter? Again - any reason I should go immediately swap?
Wix Filters - Product Catalog search results

Thanks everyone!
Change_agent and monkfarm like this.
metro_0888 is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:57 AM
Forum Member
 
YoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Posts: 1,691
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Foz 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
That is because Motorcraft is owned by Ford Motor Company.
Um, yeah...I figured that was pretty obvious, but other automakers do sell their brand of oil.

Actually, even the Ford dealers in town used to use Valvoline until Motorcraft differentiated their oil by going to syn blend for their lighter weights like 10W30 and 10W20 (and when Ford adopted them Valvoline may not have widely sold these weights). Again, virtually ALL Detroit car dealers seemed to use Valvoline in the past--maybe a price thing or the prevalence of the local Valvoline dealer? :)

I do think the Dodge dealer that I recently bought my Grand Caravan from is using Pennzoil, though.

George


NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
YoGeorge is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:29 AM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 309
Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Foz
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
No on the filter but who fills the oil using the dipstick as the indictor of when full ? Thats bizarre if Im understanding you correctly.
Who uses the dipstick? Every single person I know who changes their own oil. What's bizarre is thinking that you'll drain all of the oil when changing it. It's even more bizarre to not use the dipstick to see where the actual level is instead of just blindly dumping in the quantity stated in the manual.

OP, I'll give you and example of how the quickie oil change places are run. I had a friend who was hired as a manager of one of the shops (it was a Valvoline in the Twin Cities) one summer during college. He had never changed his own oil. He is a smart guy, but that tells you how much the upper management cares about who they hire. He stuck it out for the summer, but the stories of the flunkies working there actually changing the oil were something to behold. He now avoids quick change places like the plague and even says he was amazed they hired him given his complete lack of experience.

Last edited by sneefy; 01-09-2017 at 06:36 AM.
sneefy is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:07 AM
Forum Member
 
YoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Posts: 1,691
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Foz 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro_0888 View Post
Thanks everyone for your help.

I guess the only question that remains is whether having the "short" filter is a problem. Should I have Subaru remove it and put on the OEM one?

Yes, I'm aware going to Valvoline isn't ideal, but my nearest Subaru dealer is over a half hour away AND their availability for service is pretty backed up. With a seven-month-old infant, it's tough to know that I'll for sure have two hours of available time two Saturdays from now.

Change_Agent: You mention Wix. Using their look-up system, I'm coming up with the Wix 57055 oil filter? Does this look like the correct "tall" filter? Again - any reason I should go immediately swap?
Wix Filters - Product Catalog search results

Thanks everyone!
If that Wix is listed for the Subaru application, it has a high relief valve pressure so it is very likely the correct filter. I don't think it is really necessary to change it but I possibly would do so myself. With an expensive new car like a Subaru XT I would still not trust a Valvoline franchise place to change your oil. If they screw up and you blow an engine, you would have a LOT of fun dealing with who has to pay the repair bill and do the work, etc... Unless you watch them pour the oil in out of bottles, I don't know that I would trust them to put in the right oil either.

By the time of your next oil change, your kid will be old enough to have fun looking at cars at the dealer. Kids are quite portable and enjoy varying experiences.

As for the person who questions the value of the dipstick, do you ever check your oil between changes? I deplore the automakers who are removing dipsticks from their cars but it sounds like they are right up your alley.... I've been driving for 46 years and have owned
~40 cars, many of which used oil (cars used to do that, especially cheap used cars from the 60's and 70's). I think I let cars get slightly below the "add oil" mark about twice in those years of driving and never trashed an engine due to low oil. You can ballpark the amount of oil you add to an engine, but I always check my oil after a change, before I start the engine for the first time, and then after I run it for a few minutes and let the oil settle for 10-15 minutes after that.

George
monkfarm likes this.

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
YoGeorge is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:48 AM
Forum Member
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 591
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Correct oil filter for 2017 Forester XT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneefy View Post
Who uses the dipstick? Every single person I know who changes their own oil. What's bizarre is thinking that you'll drain all of the oil when changing it. It's even more bizarre to not use the dipstick to see where the actual level is instead of just blindly dumping in the quantity stated in the manual.

OP, I'll give you and example of how the quickie oil change places are run. I had a friend who was hired as a manager of one of the shops (it was a Valvoline in the Twin Cities) one summer during college. He had never changed his own oil. He is a smart guy, but that tells you how much the upper management cares about who they hire. He stuck it out for the summer, but the stories of the flunkies working there actually changing the oil were something to behold. He now avoids quick change places like the plague and even says he was amazed they hired him given his complete lack of experience.


No. You misunderstood me. Of course I use the dipstick. What I meant was when and oil change is being performed and refilling the sump who dumps some oil in, then checks the stick, "nope more needed" then adds more until the stick reads full ?
You add 5 quarts and its full.
Now after that as you put miles on you check the stick.
Thats what I meant and what works 100% of the time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DockingPilot is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 309
Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Foz
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
...when and oil change is being performed and refilling the sump who dumps some oil in, then checks the stick, "nope more needed" then adds more until the stick reads full ?
I don't think we misunderstand. What you're describing is exactly what I and everyone I know does because if you just dump in however many quarts stated in the manual, you risk overfilling. The reason is when you drain the sump, you never get all the oil out.

The proper way is to drain, replace the plug, fill to about a quart to half quart under the stated amount in the manual, let it sit for a few minutes, check the dipstick, add a 1/4 or so quart, check the stick again and repeat until the level is 'correct'. I consider 'correct' to be 1/2 way in between the high and low marks on the stick, but that's a matter of opinion.

I will say in your defense you do get a feel for how much you actually need to add to get the level correct, so the checking of the dipstick becomes less necessary the more familiar you are with what is needed to get the correct level.
sneefy is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Forum Member
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 591
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Correct oil filter for 2017 Forester XT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneefy View Post
I don't think we misunderstand. What you're describing is exactly what I and everyone I know does because if you just dump in however many quarts stated in the manual, you risk overfilling. The reason is when you drain the sump, you never get all the oil out.



The proper way is to drain, replace the plug, fill to about a quart to half quart under the stated amount in the manual, let it sit for a few minutes, check the dipstick, add a 1/4 or so quart, check the stick again and repeat until the level is 'correct'. I consider 'correct' to be 1/2 way in between the high and low marks on the stick, but that's a matter of opinion.



I will say in your defense you do get a feel for how much you actually need to add to get the level correct, so the checking of the dipstick becomes less necessary the more familiar you are with what is needed to get the correct level.


Never. Not even 1 time has that happened. But it really doesn't matter to me if you fill yours with an eye dropper.
I do my own of course, and on every engine I own and have owned, but watch how your Subaru tech refills it for whatever thats worth.
Not suppose to be a battle of refill techniques is it ?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DockingPilot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1