Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2005 - Coolant Capacity? (not certain of factory manual's language)

('03-'05) 
80K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  crewzer 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I searched and couldn't dig up an answer. The factory service manual (MY '05, M/T, N/A) states the "Total Engine Coolant Capacity" is 7.29 US quarts. In the same chart it says that the Reservoir Tank holds 0.5 US quarts.

I'm a little unsure of the intent of the language here. Is the "Total Engine Coolant Capacity" meaning radiator+hoses+engine block+reservoir? OR is it just radiator+hoses+engine block??

Also, when they say 0.5 quarts for the Reservoir Tank they only mean only that volume up to the FULL mark on the tank, and not the "true" and total capacity of the reservoir, correct?

#2 ·
The engine takes 7.29 quarts cold, which is when you will be filling it. When the engine becomes hot, the coolant expands and some is forced from the engine over into the overflow reservoir. As the engine cools, the coolant is drawn back from the reservoir into the engine.

The reservoir needs to have enough excess coolant in it to avoid being sucked dry by a cold engine, which would require adding some coolant to the radiator. I keep my reservoir filled to the top mark when the engine is cold. I suppose that mark is a half quart, as that is the only reservoir capacity that is of any interest.

#3 ·
The factory service manual (MY '05, M/T, N/A) states the "Total Engine Coolant Capacity" is 7.29 US quarts. In the same chart it says that the Reservoir Tank holds 0.5 US quarts.

I'm a little unsure of the intent of the language here. Is the "Total Engine Coolant Capacity" meaning radiator+hoses+engine block+reservoir? OR is it just radiator+hoses+engine block??
I'd expect for the approximate "total capacity" of 7.29 U.S. qts.to include the coolant in the reservoir (overflow) tank, as it's a very important part of the cooling system.

BTW, the '05 owner's manual includes a 7.3 qt. spec (see page 12-4). Note that some "old" coolant is often left behind when an engine's cooling system is drained. Therefore, it may take a bit less than 7.3 qts. to refill the system.

Also, when they say 0.5 quarts for the Reservoir Tank they only mean only that volume up to the FULL mark on the tank, and not the "true" and total capacity of the reservoir, correct?
Yes, but for cool coolant (see OM page 11-17).

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

#4 ·
I'd expect for the approximate "total capacity" of 7.29 U.S. qts.to include the coolant in the reservoir (overflow) tank, as it's a very important part of the cooling system ...
You are right. My 2008 Owners Manual says:
Guideline of coolant quantity (including
coolant in reservoir tank):
Non-turbo models:
MT: 7.3 US qt (6.9 liters, 6.1 Imp qt)
AT: 7.2 US qt (6.8 liters, 6.0 Imp qt)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.