Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Clutch Replacement Cost

67K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  K-Rex 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am about to purchase a 2004 XT with manual transmission. It has been meticulously maintained, had the full 105k service, etc. However, it has 139k miles and I believe it's still on the original clutch.

If the clutch goes, how much would it cost to have it replaced?

Also, anything else I should look out for in a 2004 XT with this many miles? I'm trying to budget for any likely problems / maintenance that may pop up.

Thanks!

ps. I tried a search but didn't find cost estimates for the clutch... I apologize if this has been discussed before.

#2 ·
Hey Wahoo,

I don't know exactly what you might pay for a clutch for an 04XT, only thing I can tell you is that yeeaarrss ago (probably 9-10yrs) I had an 1990 Integra that needed a new clutch. From what I can remember it was about 800-1000 installed, but my memory is very fuzzy on that one. Hope that helps a bit, but clutch replacement can vary greatly from car to car...or shop to shop.

#5 ·
I've been pricing clutch replacement as well, for my '05 Legacy 2.5GT, 5MT.

The dealership estimates 4 to 5 hours, at their usual labor rate of $90 per hour. That's just an up-front estimate, I haven't done any haggling, yet. :wink:

Parts will depend on who/what you decide to go with, and how aggressive you are in negotiation or hunting the bargain, of course! :smile:

#8 ·
What about resurfacing the flywheel ?

I have a 98 forester with 90k miles , no slippage, but
chattery clutch at takeoff, and pedal must be pressed to the floor to disengage . I was told no adjustment for pedal travel, true ?

I was planning to use the exedy kit listed above, comments on that ?

Also should the flywheel be resurfaced as long as it's out in the accessible ?

Thanks for feedback /

#11 ·
There's two methods. Move the engine or move the transmission.

If you move the engine, it's generally fully removed.

If you move the trans, you will probably need to disconnect the axles to slide it back far enough (along with a few other support components). I've seen it done with the axles attached, but it was a tight squeeze.

#14 ·
Had mine done last year (same model and year as you). Subaru dealership down the road wanted $1800 for labor and parts. Had it done for $1500 at an independent transmission shop.

Edit: That included all recommended clutch type work, seals, bearings, and such.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.