('09-'13) Clutch problems in my new Forester! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forrester diesel
Unhappy Clutch problems in my new Forester!

I bought a new Forester Diesel Turbo in August last year. (2010) I have raved and raved about how fantastic it is to so many people and now i find that after 35000 kms it needs a new clutch. I do not tow, I do not ride the clutch .......... I am bewildered! It has a 6-speed manual gear box and of course you use the clutch when changing gear but never have I had to replace a clutch in any car that I have owned. I have been driving for over 30 years - all sorts of cars. I also own a landcruiser that is used to tow a horse float and have never had clutch problems! Has anyone else had any issues?? Maybe my car is a lemon ..... sob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Novice Tuner
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester STi
Transmission: 6spd with MapDCCD
Interesting... Perhaps its a bad part? That seems a little early for a clutch to need replacing, in fact i know people who get around that mileage on just tires alone.

Perhaps contact subaru and appeal to them and ask if this is normal? Maybe they will warrenty it.

2001FSTi: 370hp/trq.... Heartbreaker mustang dyno #'s
Dom 1.5XTR, Mikey Tuned!........
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 PM
dpm
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: XC diesel
Transmission: 6mt
*how* is the clutch faulty- slipping, dragging, or judder? There's been the odd faulty Dual-Mass Flywheel (DMF), but I don't think I've heard of any *worn* clutches in Boxer Diesel.

2009 SH XCdiesel 6MT
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDrives1 View Post
Interesting... Perhaps its a bad part? That seems a little early for a clutch to need replacing, in fact i know people who get around that mileage on just tires alone.

Perhaps contact subaru and appeal to them and ask if this is normal? Maybe they will warrenty it.
Hey Mike
Subaru are replacing the clutch under warranty but I am concerned that it will happen again. Was thinking it was faulty from the start - very disappointed that is all.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
*how* is the clutch faulty- slipping, dragging, or judder? There's been the odd faulty Dual-Mass Flywheel (DMF), but I don't think I've heard of any *worn* clutches in Boxer Diesel.
Slipping badly to the point that it was almost undriveable. Noticed a smell on a Sunday and by Tuesday it was stuffed. I mean it has a 6 speed manual gearbox so one would assume the clutch was made of sturdy stuff. Subaru are fixing it under warranty but I really need to understand why it happened
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: MY09
Car Model: XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
Transmission: 6MT
Ask to see the parts and the dealer report, take photos.

Even mine is still going strong after cooking it 3 times in 17000mls.

Mike.R5
SH5-MY09 2.0D 6MT XSn
+Mods
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
New User

Car Model: Forester DC
Transmission: Manual
Same here

Had mine for 18 months 33000miles and clutch/flywheel destroyed. I too have never had a clutch problem in twenty years. Today after 18 months on the new clutch and additional 28000miles it's gone again. Now 1000miles out of warranty. To say I'm not a happy customer is an understatement. 1 early clutch failure is bad luck, 2 is a major issue. Done more miles (80000) in 6000 Toyota aygo around town with many more gear changes and clutch still fine.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Really! Oh dear.... I am waiting for the clutch to go again. So far so good but I have a bad feeling. Will keep you posted. What are you going to do? Sell the car before you have to replace it a third time? So disappointing isn't it? Someone else has mentioned a faulty flywheel - mmmmm fingers crossed!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 AM
New User

Car Model: Forester DC
Not planning on selling - really like the car except this clutch business. I've had 3 legacy estates in the past which all did over 100000miles without clutch issues.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 AM
New User

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: manual
Exclamation 2010 Subaru Forester Clutch needs to be replaced 49,000

Subaru service is telling me that I need a new clutch on my 2010 Forester. My car only has 49,000 miles. What is up with this? I had a Subaru previous to this one and the clutch only lasted until 60,0000. What is up Subaru? It is not me.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 PM
New User

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester Diesel
Have just found this thread and am going through the same thing. 70,000 klm no towing, normal use, never replaced a clutch let alone a flywheel in any of our vehicles in the last 30 years.
Subaru in Hobart tell me my clutch and flywheel are completely shot and need replacing, but wont cover it under warranty. Expected life would have been a lot more than 70,000klm. Clutch wasnt slipping or any sign of issue. They had the car in for a leak in the back of the motor and found this problem. Any ideas?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 AM
dpm
Forum Member

Car Model: XC diesel
Transmission: 6mt
was the leak from the engine, the gearbox, or did the failing flywheel release grease?

2009 SH XCdiesel 6MT
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5X Premium, AWP
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbluei View Post
Subaru service is telling me that I need a new clutch on my 2010 Forester. My car only has 49,000 miles. What is up with this? I had a Subaru previous to this one and the clutch only lasted until 60,0000. What is up Subaru? It is not me.
Did you have any warning signs? Did the 'feel' of the clutch change any leading up to the failure? I ask because my clutch feels a bit, ummm,slightly 'crunchy' when I depress the pedal. It's not bad but it doesn't feel smooth as silk either. The function of the clutch works perfectly - no slipping or anything. I know this is a hydro clutch so there's no cable to get dirty just wondering. It's hard for me to remember if it felt like this brand new or not, I'm thinking it may have gotten progressively, slowly 'worse' feeling and I didn't notice it? Kinda like putting a frog in a pot of cold water and then turning up the heat. Don't notice it getting hotter until it's too late.
Anyway my car has ~30K miles on it and I drive it VERY mellow.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

So far so good!

Well have hit 150,000 kms and clutch still good.
I must say that I do have my fingers crossed - it seems that maybe there was a fault in the original clutch. And maybe it's not only my Subaru Forester 2010 diesel turbo that had a faulty clutch. Seems that a few are having such problems. I remember when it happened - 35,000 kms on the dial and a smell under the bonnet and in a day or 2, it was almost undriveable. Took a over a month to get the part in too. Useless sods!! It was done under warranty - begrudgingly! I will say that I never go to Subaru for servicing now - they are unhelpful and expensive! Shame really 'cause I love driving my car but I would think twice before buying another Subaru.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM
New User

Car Model: Forester Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
was the leak from the engine, the gearbox, or did the failing flywheel release grease?
Subaru told me it was a leak at the back of the engine and they would have to pull the engine out to replace a gasket or 2. Not sure as I never saw the leak. Trusted them????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.