Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Clunk from engine on startup and shut down

('03-'05) 
7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  353foz 
#1 ·
Hello everybody. I have been searching for similar issues on here but I haven't seen anything.
Every once in a while when starting I get a relatively loud low clunk from the engine. The sound happens only once at the at the point when the engine starts. Then runs fine with no issues.
I also get a quieter clunk sometimes when the engine is winding down after it is shut off.
I have checked and tightened the motor mounts as that was my initial thought.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

#5 ·
It is an automatic. I meant to mention that in the original post. I always start and shut off in park. I would try to get a video of the sound, but it happens so infrequently that it would be difficult. what i normally do that seems to help ( may be all in my head) is turn the key on for about 5-10 seconds before actually starting the car. When I do this the clunk occurs far less often than if I just jump on it right away and start it up. Again, not sure if this is related or if its just in my head though.

I've done a fair amount of searching online for this issue happening with any car not Subaru specific and a lot of people point their fingers at the AC clutch. But this sound seems deeper and lower in the engine than the AC. from what i can tell anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

#6 ·
If you want to eliminate the AWD fore-aft clutch from consideration, try this. Drive the car. Pull to side of road. Leave the tranny in Drive and turn the engine off. You'll hear the specific 'clunk' that I'm referring to. If that turns out to be the sound, then it's possible that something else is amiss with your AWD clutch.

#10 ·
I'm wondering if maybe its a loose or cracked flex plate. There's an inspection hatch at the top of the bell housing, under where the intake sits. Open it up and manually rotate the engine (big ratchet on the crank pulley, rotate clockwise) and inspect the mounting bolts and the plate itself.

#11 ·
Thanks. That is a thought that I had as well. I just got done replacing the HGs ( I was having this problem before I changed them ) so I have a crank pulley wrench I could use. ( I borrowed the socket that I no longer have for the crank pulley from a friend)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.