Check engine light, traction control light, and cruise light all just came on!?! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: 2.5x premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check engine light, traction control light, and cruise light all just came on!?!

2010 forester, under 15,000 miles, driving home from work when the check engine light, traction control light and cruise light come on?? The cruise light flashing ?? Didnt feel any difference in the drive..tried the " turn it off and on" but lights still there...Going to drop it off at Subaru....which I wish was open later...

2010 2.5x Premium w/weather, 4 EAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Check the gas cap. Had this happen on my 4runner and it was due to the gas cap being loose. Tighten the gas cap, disconnect the battery, wait 10 seconds, reconnect the battery and you should be good to go.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrambler View Post
2010 forester, under 15,000 miles, driving home from work when the check engine light, traction control light and cruise light come on?? The cruise light flashing ?? Didnt feel any difference in the drive..tried the " turn it off and on" but lights still there...Going to drop it off at Subaru....which I wish was open later...
so what ended up being the cause of this? i have the same model year and same problem..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Many auto parts stores will/can now read the code/s that trigger the check engine light. I would suggest swing by one and see what the code points to, that will give you/us an idea as to the issue. Sadly this is all the dealer will likely do too.

08 X Prem 5mt
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Forum Member

DW got the same symptom this morning. Any explanation from suby dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrambler View Post
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
We are having the same problem (2011 with 600 miles), but our also stuttered as if it were going to stall. It is at the dealer now. They replaced the Cam sensor, but it is still having the problem. They need to call for help in the morning...not too good for building confidence...

---------------------
2011 Forester Touring
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
These lights just mean an error code is stored, it doesn't give you any idea what might be wrong. You need to get the code read if you want to have any idea what the problem is, none of us can help just by knowing that the light is on (it could be anything from a major engine failure to the gas cap being loose)

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: X
Transmission: Manual
CEL light, TC light and blinking cruise control light

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but I have been following it for over a year and helped my decision to buy a Forester. Just had the cel tc and cruise lights come up. I've owned 3 cars before the foz but never ever had the cel come on, not a good feeling. After reading the comments on the forum I went ahead and checked the fuel cap and then the inlet wiring. Worked a treat and the lights are gone. Thanks very much for the info. I'm heading off now on a fire trail for a drive with the new yoko geolander at-s I put on the front yesterday.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saliya View Post
Hi guys,

I'm heading off now on a fire trail for a drive with the new yoko geolander at-s I put on the front yesterday.
If I read that right, it's not usually recommended to replace just two tires on an AWD vehicle. Unless of course the other two were fairly new also. The difference in OD between old and new tires could cause driveline component issues.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 11:40 PM
Taking a Walk in the Outback

Transmission: 4EAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Subaru View Post
If I read that right, it's not usually recommended to replace just two tires on an AWD vehicle. Unless of course the other two were fairly new also. The difference in OD between old and new tires could cause driveline component issues.
I had this issue about a week ago. I had the code read and it was p0171 system to lean. Which is a generic code that could be any number of things. One of the things it could have been was dirty fuel injectors. It would sputter and feel like it was going to stall. Unplugged the battery and added stp fuel injector cleaner and octane booster and filled the tank up. No issues since. I'm thinking dirty fuel injector or injectors.

Sent from my mind using ninjutsu telepathy

Last edited by 2010subaruforesterXS; 03-31-2014 at 01:02 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: x
There is a similar thread somewhere on here. My 2009 X did the same thing, tried the gas cap which worked for a while, but on third time replaced the fuel pressure sensor in the gas tank. No issues since.

The most annoying part for me was that cruise control doesn't work when this starts. Twice, the car just started slowing down....

Don, 2009 X 4EAT
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 02:37 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: '12 X Lux; '09 XS
Transmission: AT
my 2010 impreza had the same issue about half a year ago. brake switch apparently wasnt working and had to be replaced. been fine since then. lights came back on again yesterday! getting pretty frustrated at this, just want it to run properly. only mods are rims and diy install of a 2010 wrx sat-nav unit and reverse camera.

i've tried the fuel cap thing. will go and find someone who can read codes next i guess... :(
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Exact thing happened to us last night

CEL + Traction control light steady + blinking/fading cruise control light in my 2012 Forester. Car was running fine otherwise.
The very accomodating Subaru dealer in Waterloo, Iowa got us right in and followed the diagnostic steps the computer showed and found it required a software update. That made everything all right and it was all covered under warrenty.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: X
Transmission: Manual
I agree about the tread differences as a cause of driveline issues. But that was all I could afford at the time. I now do have the same tires all round. On a side note I did replace the injectors and front O2 sensor due to engine issues, but still not rectified. I'm experiencing high negative long term fuel trims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode