('06-'08) Check Engine Light/Cruise Indicator - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Don't know
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Check Engine Light/Cruise Indicator

Hi there...

My 2006 Forester had a lovely little surprise for me yesterday. I hopped in and started it up, headed for work. The Check Engine light was on and stayed on constantly. The Cruise Indicator light was on as well, but was blinking.

I tried to engage the Cruise but of course, it was having none of that.

Any ideas or advice? Is it safe to drive the vehicle for about a week or so until I can get to a mechanic?

Oh, it is an automatic transmission. It has been whining when I back up and recently the left hand headlights went out. I had an oil change about a week ago. Guess that is about it.

Appreciate any input! Thank you...

Lisa
ladams402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 XTe
Transmission: Manual

Hi Lisa, the CEl (Check engine light) light flashing along with the cruise control also flashing and becoming defunct is indicative of a problem with the car that has been picked up by the on board diagnostic system.

To establish what the actual problem is you will need to know what codes are being recorded by the on board diagnostic system through equipment and software designed to interrogate the OBD system.

Once you know what the code/codes are then this forum will doubtless be a source of knowledge, but first you need to get the codes read. There are many articles on here about how to go about that depending upon where you are, your level of technical expertise or access to garage facilities that can do the interrogation for you.

Very general answer but I hope it helps.

Last edited by Coachhome42; 11-10-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Coachhome42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
New User

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Don't know
Default One thing...

Coach...

First, thank you for responding.

Not sure it makes a difference as I am assuming I will still need to find out the code...but the CEI is not flashing...it is constant. It is the Cruise Light that is flashing. Does that change your answer?

Thanks again!!

Lisa
ladams402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 XTe
Transmission: Manual

Your are right CEl does not flash, my error there, everything
else is the same though.

I currently have a problem with my secondary air system and got the same problem which is why I am here in the first place. Been running with same problem for two years now and forum has recently shown a good way to correct issue without paying a new mortgage, so once you know what the code is then you can establish what actions if any you are able to do to correct it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Coachhome42; 11-10-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Coachhome42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FXT Limited
Transmission: 5MT

You can go to an auto parts store like advance auto parts or autozone, and they will read the code for you for free. Have them write down the code for you and post it up here and we'll tell you whats up!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Gallery: 40
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Loose gas cap ?

Have you put gas in the car recently ? My daughter put gas in my car on Sunday night and since the teather had broken off the cap she put it on the roof to fill it, and well she ended up leaving it on the roof and driving off without it . The next morning the same lights came on. When I get to where I was going I went to check and tighten gas cap and realized she had forgotten to replace it. Made a trip to the dealer bought a new cap with teather replaced it and drove it for a day to see if it would reset itself, to my dismay it did not . The next morning I pulled the negative battery terminal off stepped on the brakes a few times, reconnected everything and walla! no more cel light and flashing cruise.

Respect The Wagon!
TC2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Check item 7 in the Important Forester info for new members thread.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2000 View Post
Have you put gas in the car recently ? My daughter put gas in my car on Sunday night and since the teather had broken off the cap she put it on the roof to fill it, and well she ended up leaving it on the roof and driving off without it . The next morning the same lights came on. When I get to where I was going I went to check and tighten gas cap and realized she had forgotten to replace it. Made a trip to the dealer bought a new cap with teather replaced it and drove it for a day to see if it would reset itself, to my dismay it did not . The next morning I pulled the negative battery terminal off stepped on the brakes a few times, reconnected everything and walla! no more cel light and flashing cruise.
I too just got the flashing cruise light and solid check engine. This started right after we turned both r front heat seats on. I had to take both battery cables off reconnected and like u said "Walla" no more flashing cruise, solid check engine light!

Curious if this is just a temporary fix? Everything is running fine n it's an 07 XT Sports MT
Any additional input of symptoms that may occur?
Thanks for the info
Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by baangeles View Post
I too just got the flashing cruise light and solid check engine. This started right after we turned both r front heat seats on. I had to take both battery cables off reconnected and like u said "Walla" no more flashing cruise, solid check engine light!

Curious if this is just a temporary fix? Everything is running fine n it's an 07 XT Sports MT
Any additional input of symptoms that may occur?
Thanks for the info
Yes this is only a temporary fix (more than likely). Your light will likely come back on in a day or two. You need to find out what the code is. Chances are, it's an O2 sensor. We have replaced 3 of them in my wife's 06 Forester in the past 4 years.
shmoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: 2.5X
Transmission: manual
Default CEL and flashing cruise

I just bought a 2005 forester 2 weeks ago from Subaru dealer. First road trip and the light combination went on shortly after filling up. The manual said firstly to make sure your gas cap is on tight. Well, that didn't do it. I took it in they fixed it in about an hour. A manifold on the o2 sensor was cracked, they replaced it. Luckily covered under 1 month warranty, so I don't know the cost.
It seems to me from reading through threads that this CEL cruise combination has to do with the fuel system, be it Cat converter, o2 sensor, high humidity.
suddern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty