Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Check engine light and cruise control flashing

22K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  awd4me 
#1 ·
So this is the 2nd time my check engine light and cruise control are flashing
Per Autowest Subaru its an issue with the head and my car won't be finished until friday
Fortunately I purchased the extended warranty and this will be covered
A free loaner helps in this case as well, too bad it has nowhere near the power of the XT

#3 · (Edited)
I'll post the code once I get the car back
The service guy didn't tell me over the phone

Update: Was given a Mazda 3 loaner vehicle from enterprise a middle of the road type of vehicle no get up and go unfortunately
Was told by the Subaru service adviser that I can't keep the enterprise car over the weekend.
Was then given a 2011 Outback as a loaner.
I'm happily surprised with this car, I can see why it is such a hit.

#4 ·
So this is what went down.

Car was stuttering at around 40 to 50mph.
It threw a CEL and cruise control light was solid.

Per Subaru technician it was a bad valve in cylinder 1. It and surrounding parts were replaced under the powertrain warranty. I didn't get any error codes unfortunately.

Tried to pick up the car this morning and it threw another CEL, O2 censor blown, replaced yadda yadda.

To make a long story short I finally got my car back and it pulls like a freight train again. It felt like the car was lacking some power but its now back to normal.
:woohoo::Banane17::discomonkey::Banane36::Banane35:

#6 ·
Flashing Cruise + CEL

I was getting the same indications. Luckily, mine was a similar answer. While I always kick any built-up snow out of the wheel wells, there was more built-up snow/ice higher in the wells. Not noticeable to to the eye - but enough to trigger a sensor. Once I chipped the packed-in snow away - the indications disappeared, and all was well.

This sounds like a pretty generic sensor indication, so I'm sure there are many possible causes - but for anyone troubleshooting, this is one possible answer.

#7 ·
Just had this happen

My daughter was on the freeway with cruise on. All of a sudden, cruise turned off, cruise light flashing, CEL on and traction control light on (showing that traction control was off). Down about a third on the gas guage.
Subaru dealer looked at it, lights had gone off prior to testing (was on when I arrived at the dealership).Code was P0453 evaporative emissions system pressure sensor high input. No specific problem evident at this time.
Service advisor said that the system will reset itself after maybe 19 miles, and if it happens again and if the vehicle appears to be running fine, to let the lights reset themselves and only come in if it happens many times.
$58 charge as the 2009 Forester has 42K+.

#8 ·
Brento, my '09 Impreza just threw the same code(P 0453). I haven't called the dealer yet. The lights turned themselves off once and then came back on within a mile. Since the car has under 5000 miles I'm assuming it's all warranty work.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.