check engine light code P0457 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default check engine light code P0457

A steady check engine light came on today with the cruise control light flashing. I took car to Auto Zone and got the code above. It said loose gas cap but cap did not appear to be loose but i did crank it down. I'm thinking even though I'm past 36k miles it would still be a warranty item since convered under emissions. Has anybody had any experience with this code and getting it repaired via a dealer?

p.s. I did remove and clean the cabin air filtration filter a couple of days ago but don't think this would have any affect on the above.
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Location: The Big Sky Country Montana on the Rocky Mnt Front Range
Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester L NA
Transmission: auto
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cool

Hi Steve..I just looked the code up in my Suby book and here is what it says........................

Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) system leak detected (fuel filler neck loose or not installed)

This is the exact quote from the book so something else may have come loose.

Good luck.
Kenny
goshring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Sport XT

The cap doesn't need to be really loose, just not tight enough to seal properly. They are quite sensitive to this. Did you have the CEL reset by AutoZone? If not, it's going to take a few drive cycles before it goes off by itself.

If it really is a problem, then the CA emissions warranty may well cover it: you need to check the parts covered in your warranty booklet, it varies a bit from year to year. (Make sure you check the CA emissions warranty section, not the Federal one.)

(Oh, you are correct, the cabin air filter won't be anything to do with it.)
Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default Did Re-Tightening The Gas Cap Work?

While driving to work this morning, my Check Engine light came on and stayed on steadily and the "Cruise" light came on and blinked. Before I could pull over I looked at my owners manual and it said an Emission Control maintenance issue. I did back into some snow while pulling out of my garage, so when I pulled off the interstate I checked the muffler and there was no snow plugged in it.

After reading this thread and posting this, I'm going to go out and re-tighten my gas cap. Hopefully this will work, but I filled the tank yesterday while coming home from a weekend trip, and drove at least 80-100 miles before the lights came on.

Can anyone of you guys who this happened to give me/us an update regarding your fix and clearing your CEL?

Thanks!
Tom

Of course, I should stop by Auto Zone and have them read for the "real" code.

Edit: having stopped to get the CEL read and cleared, it showed a PO420 code a catalytic maintenance somethingorother. I'm sure my cat is not going bad and that the issue was probably detected form having backed into deep snow and slightly plugging the exhaust for a very short while. The electronic reader cleared the warning lights and they have not come back on (yet).

Last edited by Buddur; 12-18-2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: ....I'm Editing 'Cause I'm One Bad Mutha!
Buddur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: forester X

One week after getting a new USED engine in my 2005 subaru forester X the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME BACK ON... "Found code P0457 large evaporative leak detected (Fule cap). Checked the fuel cap (cap passed with the tester). Subaru found blockage under the manifold in a tube of the evap. purge... code P0457 detected after clearing the blockage, re-tested for leaks, no evap. leaks... Checked purge valve and close valve with SSMIII, did compulsary valve check. Energized the close valve, re-performed leak check; no leak. Performed test drive with SSMIII; Pressure sensor reads negative value to -012, -.003 at open cap values; should not be below ZERO hg. Need to replace the pressure sensor and recheck"(subaru service tech notes)!!!

Should I have the dealership replace this for and additional $850 or take the car out of their shop... im tired of maita subaru! 5G705359
melon817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester
Default filler pipe and EVAP valve

have you checked the filler pipe? behind the rear passenger tire you can remove the cover 3 10mm bolts (upper one will most likely break off). then you can begin scraping off the mud cake to reveal the gas pipe and a very rusty EVAP valve. dealers keep this part in stock...
CarMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: forester s

Same code here. I just replaced the rusty filler pipe and all associated parts/evap lines.
Question: I want the PCM to reset the code on its own. Does anyone know how many drive cycles it takes?
Thanks
golden retreiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Impreza RS Wagon
Transmission: Auto
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden retreiver View Post
Same code here. I just replaced the rusty filler pipe and all associated parts/evap lines.
Question: I want the PCM to reset the code on its own. Does anyone know how many drive cycles it takes?
Thanks
~100 miles or more, most EVAP test by the ECM are done around half a tank.
Real Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: forester s

Thanks - better half just informed me light went out at about 75mi.
golden retreiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty