CEL Flashing Code 420...Help - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forseter XS
CEL Flashing Code 420...Help

I have a 2000 Forrester that is flashing a CEL code 420 ---inefficient catalytic converter. I just had the 60,000 mile service on it but did not replace the front 02 sensor or the rear one. The mechanic thinks it is the catalytic converter that needs to be replaced. He got the CEL light to switch off but wants to run it to see if it comes back on and then rediagnose it again. My bet is that it comes back on. What do you guys think? Is it the catalytcic converter or the O2 sensor(s) or something else? What should the next step be in your opinion?

Thanks

Tom S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:07 PM

http://ponyexpressperformance.com/wrxmileliminator.html it's a common issue with the RS and it's a quick fix. I have a new one for $15 shipped, since i sold my RS a couple of weeks ago.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Dan
Contributing Member

Car Year: 12
Car Model: Premium
Transmission: 5-speed
Code 420... I think it means your car is stoned. Did you, perchance, loan it to Cheech and Chong recently?

SHIFT_to_Subaru
'12 Forester, 5spd - hers
'08 Legacy SE, 5spd - hers
'09 OB SE, 5spd - mine
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 05:15 PM

i always thought of that way too, but it's P0420....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Since you're under the 80k mile warranty, P0420 could mean a free replacement of your converter.

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Code 420... I think it means your car is stoned. Did you, perchance, loan it to Cheech and Chong recently?
A+!

I am curious if it is an o2 sensor. I will watch and see. Do you have emmissions tests where you live?

I hate red winged black birds.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:14 PM
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Yes it should be covered if it's the cat but not if it's the rear sensor which will be the one that sets this off not the front. Having the code itself does not effect the car's AF ratio like the front one. What it is, is the rear O2 sensor saying the temp of the gas coming out of the cat is out of range. That can happen if you put in an aftermarket exhaust, get that area packed with snow (depressing the temp) or the sensor being out of wack.

I have some info here on a fix if you know it's because the exhaust flow has changed due to something you did:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5468

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post
http://ponyexpressperformance.com/wrxmileliminator.html it's a common issue with the RS and it's a quick fix. I have a new one for $15 shipped, since i sold my RS a couple of weeks ago.
Thank you. What does this thing do? Looks like it overrides the CEL. Is it difficult to install?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
Yes it should be covered if it's the cat but not if it's the rear sensor which will be the one that sets this off not the front. Having the code itself does not effect the car's AF ratio like the front one. What it is, is the rear O2 sensor saying the temp of the gas coming out of the cat is out of range. That can happen if you put in an aftermarket exhaust, get that area packed with snow (depressing the temp) or the sensor being out of wack.

I have some info here on a fix if you know it's because the exhaust flow has changed due to something you did:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5468

Thank you. The only thing I did recently was to get a 60,000 mile tune up. It happened a few weeks after that. What prompted the 60,000 mainteneance was a CEL that indicated that the 3rd cylinder was misfiring or whatever. I thought replacing the spark plug wires fixed that. It did for awhile anyway.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbottomley View Post
Since you're under the 80k mile warranty, P0420 could mean a free replacement of your converter.

Thank you! I did not know the warranty was 80,000 miles. How do I determine if it the Cat or one of the sensors that is causing the problem?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:41 PM
scarred from battle
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Thank you! I did not know the warranty was 80,000 miles. How do I determine if it the Cat or one of the sensors that is causing the problem?
The warranty is not a subaru thing - it's a federally mandated thing. Every car sold in the US since the mid 70s carries a 8 year/80k warranty on selected emmissions components, including the catalytic converter.

Fmr 98L auto. I ride the subway now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.