Car not filling with gas at pump. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default Car not filling with gas at pump.

I think it's a combination of old age and the fact I get so much e-mail but I forget who was having a problem getting gas in the car (pump shutting off) before it was full. Found the attached that may help.

The problems I remember the people not so much
Attached Thumbnails
Car not filling with gas at pump.-nogas.jpg  

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty
I think it's a combination of old age and the fact I get so much e-mail but I forget who was having a problem getting gas in the car (pump shutting off) before it was full. Found the attached that may help.

The problems I remember the people not so much
I think that was me Peaty.....my wife's 03 was having an 'overflow' issue when filling up. Much appreciated. 8-)

Proud owners of a 03 XS & 2005 Lexus ES330
Subifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

I thought it was you but could not be sure, I should have looked at my e-mails but I just got home. Besides it may help someone else too :)

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty
I thought it was you but could not be sure, I should have looked at my e-mails but I just got home. Besides it may help someone else too :)
Couldn't agree more. 8-)

Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have this problem with my STi. But the weird thing is it only happens when I fill up at an EXxon ??
Old 04-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
#8 Post ho

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Subaru Forester
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Only once and a while my car will "fill up" prematurly

It's a "burp" for the gas pump
SenorSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cool

Ours it seems is caused by the pump at the gas station too.....I had the Subi dealer inspect the car when we took it in for the coolant & diff fluid changes.......he said all checked out normal (no kinks in the filler neck either). :wtfeyes Since, we have found & are using only certain 'good' pumps now that your are able to gently 'trickle' fuel in when it's getting close to fill up (doing this let's us get about an extra 8 - 10 litres or roughly 3 gallons more fuel in). Haven't had the problem in about a month now. :-) :bigok:

Old 04-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: LL Bean Forester
Transmission: automatic

My Forester has started having this problem. It has done it for the last 5 fillups (all at different stations). I took the fuel line cover off (the one held in place by 2 screws in the rear wheel well) and didn't see anything obvious like a kined hose, but maybe there is an internal blockage or something??

Mine will fill up until about 2 gallons from "full". I then have to fight with the gas pump to add the extra 2 gallons or so and I'm never quite sure of when I'm at the real full mark.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by discome
My Forester has started having this problem. It has done it for the last 5 fillups (all at different stations). I took the fuel line cover off (the one held in place by 2 screws in the rear wheel well) and didn't see anything obvious like a kined hose, but maybe there is an internal blockage or something??

Mine will fill up until about 2 gallons from "full". I then have to fight with the gas pump to add the extra 2 gallons or so and I'm never quite sure of when I'm at the real full mark.
Were you able to use 'controlled' pumps where you can very slowly 'trickle' the fuel? It took us a while to in order to located these pumps & that seemed to slove the problem.........also removing the nozzel about an inch or so is helpful when the tank is near full. You should be able to get those 2+ gallons in then without spillage. ;-)

Old 04-19-2006, 04:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: LL Bean Forester
Transmission: automatic

I can trickle the fuel for the last few gallons, but it feels like I am fighting it. I did try pulling the nozzle out of the tank slightly and it still has problems. Since this has happened at multiple gas stations I plan to ask the dealer about it.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by discome
I can trickle the fuel for the last few gallons, but it feels like I am fighting it. I did try pulling the nozzle out of the tank slightly and it still has problems. Since this has happened at multiple gas stations I plan to ask the dealer about it.
Please share your findings with the rest of us once you speak with the dealer. :-)

Old 09-16-2006, 08:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
drivenice

Gallery:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Just for the record, I started having this problem in my 2005 XS Forester since the beginning of the summer 2006 (about april or may). What really weirds me out is: has anybody had this problem before 2006? The gasoline suppliers might have started adding a new chemical that increased the viscosity of the gasoline, causing the flow rate through the hoses subaru to decrease and trigger the gas-station pump.

Also for the record, this happens at five different stations in two cities with the full range of brand new installed pumps, old pumps, and middle-age pumps. For all the cars I have owned, I always use full-pressure on the gas pump handle, and this problem has just started now.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I had a similar issue when I first got my 06 XT (almost identical to my wife 03 XS). Now when I'm filling up & the tank is nearly full, I ease up on the pressure of the nozzle & due to several renovations at local gas stations with brand new pumps, we can 'trickle' fuel in without spillage or any mess now.

Also, after the first 'click' I remove the nozzle from the fuel neck for several seconds & finish my top up with no problems any longer.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have the same issue w/my '04 FXT. It has been a progressive issue and at this point it takes me forever to fill the tank. At first I thought it was pump related but then noticed that it occurs at any pump. I had the local dealer look into this issue and they claimed to have removed spider webs from my overflow hose(??). Anyway, they did nothing to resolve the problem and blew me off when I asked them if they checked the charcoal canister/etc. They seem to think it is related to my fuel tank(?). My car is at 50K and thus beyond the 36k warranty period. I have an appointment scheduled w LIC MotorSports and will post my findings after they take a look at the car.

- desm0nd
desm0nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Impreza Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I have cleaned 2 'vent' hose ends so far. One in a Forester, the other on an Outback. The vent hose leaves the charcoal canister goes to the "drain Filter" ( round plastic filter mounted above the charcoal canister ).
The OTHER side of the drain filter has a large hose on it that goes thru a TEE ( with a smaller hose on the TEE ). You want to follow that larger hose. I know it's a PITA , but it will lead to a plastic insert above the rear differential housing/mount assy. That's where the air is vented after the fumes are captured in the Charcoal Canister. This allows air out of the tank during gas fillup.

This is also where the tank is vented in ( metered controlled air thru the Vent Valve ) to allow gas to flow out of the tank and not create a vacuum.

I tried to take a picture and attach it. Hope you guys get an idea where it is, and why it's a real pain to get to! 1st pix is on the passenger side just in front of the spare wheel well. The 2nd I tried to get a closeup of the hose going into the white plastic end that's attached to the frame and vents it to the air. This is where I have found the spiders web and debris.
Attached Thumbnails
Car not filling with gas at pump.-pix003.jpg   Car not filling with gas at pump.-pix000.jpg   Car not filling with gas at pump.-pix000a.jpg  
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty