Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2004 - Car not filling with gas at pump?

('03-'05) 
237K views 145 replies 63 participants last post by  Dropbears1969 
#1 ·
I think it's a combination of old age and the fact I get so much e-mail but I forget who was having a problem getting gas in the car (pump shutting off) before it was full. Found the attached that may help.

The problems I remember the people not so much
Product Text Cameras & optics Webcam Camera

See less See more
#2 ·
Peaty said:
I think it's a combination of old age and the fact I get so much e-mail but I forget who was having a problem getting gas in the car (pump shutting off) before it was full. Found the attached that may help.

The problems I remember the people not so much :redface:
I think that was me Peaty.....my wife's 03 was having an 'overflow' issue when filling up. Much appreciated. :cool:

#7 ·
Ours it seems is caused by the pump at the gas station too.....I had the Subi dealer inspect the car when we took it in for the coolant & diff fluid changes.......he said all checked out normal (no kinks in the filler neck either). :wtfeyes Since, we have found & are using only certain 'good' pumps now that your are able to gently 'trickle' fuel in when it's getting close to fill up (doing this let's us get about an extra 8 - 10 litres or roughly 3 gallons more fuel in). Haven't had the problem in about a month now. :) :bigok:

#8 ·
My Forester has started having this problem. It has done it for the last 5 fillups (all at different stations). I took the fuel line cover off (the one held in place by 2 screws in the rear wheel well) and didn't see anything obvious like a kined hose, but maybe there is an internal blockage or something??

Mine will fill up until about 2 gallons from "full". I then have to fight with the gas pump to add the extra 2 gallons or so and I'm never quite sure of when I'm at the real full mark.

#9 ·
discome said:
My Forester has started having this problem. It has done it for the last 5 fillups (all at different stations). I took the fuel line cover off (the one held in place by 2 screws in the rear wheel well) and didn't see anything obvious like a kined hose, but maybe there is an internal blockage or something??

Mine will fill up until about 2 gallons from "full". I then have to fight with the gas pump to add the extra 2 gallons or so and I'm never quite sure of when I'm at the real full mark.
Were you able to use 'controlled' pumps where you can very slowly 'trickle' the fuel? It took us a while to in order to located these pumps & that seemed to slove the problem.........also removing the nozzel about an inch or so is helpful when the tank is near full. You should be able to get those 2+ gallons in then without spillage. ;-)

#10 ·
I can trickle the fuel for the last few gallons, but it feels like I am fighting it. I did try pulling the nozzle out of the tank slightly and it still has problems. Since this has happened at multiple gas stations I plan to ask the dealer about it.

#11 ·
discome said:
I can trickle the fuel for the last few gallons, but it feels like I am fighting it. I did try pulling the nozzle out of the tank slightly and it still has problems. Since this has happened at multiple gas stations I plan to ask the dealer about it.
Please share your findings with the rest of us once you speak with the dealer. :)

G
#12 ·
Just for the record, I started having this problem in my 2005 XS Forester since the beginning of the summer 2006 (about april or may). What really weirds me out is: has anybody had this problem before 2006? The gasoline suppliers might have started adding a new chemical that increased the viscosity of the gasoline, causing the flow rate through the hoses subaru to decrease and trigger the gas-station pump.

Also for the record, this happens at five different stations in two cities with the full range of brand new installed pumps, old pumps, and middle-age pumps. For all the cars I have owned, I always use full-pressure on the gas pump handle, and this problem has just started now.

#13 ·
I had a similar issue when I first got my 06 XT (almost identical to my wife 03 XS). Now when I'm filling up & the tank is nearly full, I ease up on the pressure of the nozzle & due to several renovations at local gas stations with brand new pumps, we can 'trickle' fuel in without spillage or any mess now.

Also, after the first 'click' I remove the nozzle from the fuel neck for several seconds & finish my top up with no problems any longer. :icon_biggrin:

#14 ·
I have the same issue w/my '04 FXT. It has been a progressive issue and at this point it takes me forever to fill the tank. At first I thought it was pump related but then noticed that it occurs at any pump. I had the local dealer look into this issue and they claimed to have removed spider webs from my overflow hose(??). Anyway, they did nothing to resolve the problem and blew me off when I asked them if they checked the charcoal canister/etc. They seem to think it is related to my fuel tank(?). My car is at 50K and thus beyond the 36k warranty period. I have an appointment scheduled w LIC MotorSports and will post my findings after they take a look at the car.

- desm0nd

#15 ·
I have cleaned 2 'vent' hose ends so far. One in a Forester, the other on an Outback. The vent hose leaves the charcoal canister goes to the "drain Filter" ( round plastic filter mounted above the charcoal canister ).
The OTHER side of the drain filter has a large hose on it that goes thru a TEE ( with a smaller hose on the TEE ). You want to follow that larger hose. I know it's a PITA , but it will lead to a plastic insert above the rear differential housing/mount assy. That's where the air is vented after the fumes are captured in the Charcoal Canister. This allows air out of the tank during gas fillup.

This is also where the tank is vented in ( metered controlled air thru the Vent Valve ) to allow gas to flow out of the tank and not create a vacuum.

I tried to take a picture and attach it. Hope you guys get an idea where it is, and why it's a real pain to get to! 1st pix is on the passenger side just in front of the spare wheel well. The 2nd I tried to get a closeup of the hose going into the white plastic end that's attached to the frame and vents it to the air. This is where I have found the spiders web and debris.

#23 ·
I have cleaned 2 'vent' hose ends so far. One in a Forester, the other on an Outback. The vent hose leaves the charcoal canister goes to the "drain Filter" ( round plastic filter mounted above the charcoal canister ).
The OTHER side of the drain filter has a large hose on it that goes thru a TEE ( with a smaller hose on the TEE ). You want to follow that larger hose. I know it's a PITA , but it will lead to a plastic insert above the rear differential housing/mount assy. That's where the air is vented after the fumes are captured in the Charcoal Canister. This allows air out of the tank during gas fillup.

This is also where the tank is vented in ( metered controlled air thru the Vent Valve ) to allow gas to flow out of the tank and not create a vacuum.

I tried to take a picture and attach it. Hope you guys get an idea where it is, and why it's a real pain to get to! 1st pix is on the passenger side just in front of the spare wheel well. The 2nd I tried to get a closeup of the hose going into the white plastic end that's attached to the frame and vents it to the air. This is where I have found the spiders web and debris.
How do I get at the thick hose once it disappears above the differential? Do I yank it out? I can't get my hands in there.

#19 ·
Maybe it is just due to the design of the Forester gas tank. The neck may be too narrow and the fuel backs up quicker and tricks the pump to turn off. I get this problem with some gas stations, but others seem to work fine. I found it works best if I just barely put the nozzle in the tank.

#20 ·
I don't think just barely putting it in is a good idea. The pump nozzle is a specific length for a good reason and has (or should have) the built in shut off if it senses the gas backing up towards the entrance. If you leave the pump nozzle just barely sticking in the hole, you increase your risk of gas shooting back out at you. Not a good idea in my opinion.

#21 ·
has anyone tried cleaning the 'vent' hose ends per ferret's recommendation (on previous page)? It seems to me that the problems must be fixable...I can't imagine that this problem has existed since the car was brand new (but I could be wrong :) )

#22 ·
I'm having this problem with my wifes '03 Forester. The dealer messed with it under warranty when the car was about 1 year old. I poked around under the car last night. Are we talking about the thicker hoses with no clamps, or the smaller ones?

#27 ·
I spent a little more time looking around under the car. I found the hose coming out of the filter and to the ''T''. From there it doesn't go on top of the tank, it goes to a metal pipe, that also holds some kind of eletrical device and vent up thru the, if you could call it that, frame rail.

I unbolted that part and found this passage filled with eggs.

I put it back together, went to the gas station, and filled the tank with no problem except for the $45 I had to pay for 10 gallons.
Thanks for the help. I hope these pictures are helpful to somebody. If not, just spend some time under the car and try to follow the hoses. I don't know how much this system has changed over the years, or from model to model, but this an '03 Forster 2.5 XS auto.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.