LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down BRAND new 2017 stops abruptly on freeway

Hey Guys,

I have never posted here before and technically speaking as of right now I do not own a subaru. I'm hoping for some insight or some guidance.
I bought a BRAND NEW 2017 subaru forester from downtown subaru yesterday. I drove it exactly 34 km's before I began to have issues.
While merging off the HWY 401 east onto HWY 404 newmarket in Toronto, I began to accelerate. I got the car up to ~80-90km/hr( I had already previously driven at this speed and had no issues).

The car decided to slam itself on the brakes. I lost all manual control of the car, my steering wheel had no play to it. It felt like all 4 tires locked up. I skid down the freeway for ~30 feet until the car finally came to a complete stop. I was almost rear ended due to this incident and subsequently almost cause a multiple car pileup on the highway.

Once the car stopped, I attempted to drive it over to the shoulder. The car WOULD NOT MOVE. The car would turn on and off with no issues. The car would go into "drive mode" and the engine would rev, however the car would not move. NOTHING, nothing what so ever. I attempted to turn the car off and back on, and the car still would not move. I turned off all eye sight options, hoping this would help. NOTHING

So here I am with a brand new car, stuck on a mega highway and I didn't know what to do. I finally towed the car back to the dealership and the service department took a look at it. As far as they could see, all my sensors were perfectly fine, which led them to believe it was a mechanical issue. Maybe the transmission.

The car was left outside the garage by the tow truck and even the mechanics couldn't figure out how they were going to get the car into the garage. It would not move.

Now, the dealer has offered to get me the exact same car, it's currently on the train from vancouver. My dilemma is. DO I EVEN WANT A SUBARU????? should i contact subaru canada. They preach at how " safe" the vehicle is, however, I do not have the same experience.

I'm really just looking to see what everyone thinks of their subaru's and what my possible next steps should be. Ultimately, this situation is completely unacceptable and I'm slightly traumatized form the entire event.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Distracted@Work
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XT
Transmission: CVT
Weird... I thought you were the same person who posted a very similar issue recently. It definitely is uncommon, but very coincidental that this issue happened so soon. Nonetheless.. sorry this happened.

Here is the thread posted just a few days ago with a similar problem:
'17 Forester Front End Locked Up

Be sure to keep us updated as to how Subaru responds. Plenty of folks here have some good advice as to what you could get for your troubles.

Mod List:
LED Fog lights (+1 HP)
Tinted Windows (+1 Batmobile)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:11 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: VW Golf SportWagen
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I wonder if it has something to do with the driver aids? You mentioned eye sight.

Stan
pleiad7 and EJH like this.

Shocks > struts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester
Yea I would go for the replacement. Don't give up on Subaru yet. I'm betting the paper weighted one left the dealer with no transmission oil. But if it were me I'd be asking for a loaner until the brand-new replacement came in.
Change_agent likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: CDN Convenience Pkg
Transmission: 4AT
If they are going to give you a new one and it is them model etc and it is on its way, ask for a loaner until it gets there. A good deal take it, the one you had was an outlier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:33 AM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_t View Post
I wonder if it has something to do with the driver aids? You mentioned eye sight.

Stan
Dealership said all sensors were fine. If EyeSight was the culprit, data would be stored in the computer. EyeSight is also overridden by pushing down on the accelerator, so it should have moved.

Did you hear any banging or clunking right before the car slammed to a stop?

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 17
Car Model: Touring XT
Get the replacement. Good advice from Change Agent and Stan-make sure they give you a loaner while waiting on the new vehicle. If you paid for the tow yourself, they need to reimburse you for that also.

I'll bet Subaru will want to drill down to root cause with the type of incident you experienced so having ownership of your current vehicle is a plus to them. Finally, yes contact Subaru Canada and document in writing exactly what happened, who you spoke to at the dealership and if you know, the names of the mechanics who confirmed your vehicle would not move, copy of the tow receipt, etc. You can also contact Transport Canada and file a safety defect complaint
Change_agent likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: CDN Convenience Pkg
Transmission: 4AT
I, for one, would be interested to know how this all turns out for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cosmokenney likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: base model
Transmission: manual 6 speed
BRAND new 2017 stops abruptly on freeway

Hi @meaganl5 , welcome to the forum from Long Island, NY.
You are the second case that I am reading with the same issue, driving and suddenly have the four wheels blocked.
I have to say that with the all the bad fortune you had, the good part was that you did not get rear ended and nobody else got into an accident trying to avoid the stopped vehicle in the middle of the highway.
I hope you get what you deserve, car replacement or a good gift from the dealer (free extended warranty). Please, keep us posted to see how all of this goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode