Blinking Cruise light & CEL on - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blinking Cruise light & CEL on

I have a 06 Forester w/ 70k and last night shortly after setting my cruise control on a country road at 55mph, cruise shut off on it's own and light started blinking. Then CEL came on. Engine ran fine. After arriving back at the house, I checked all connections to no avail. I then unhooked battery and let sit until AM. Also checked gas cap for at least 6 clicks in closure.

This morning I re-connected battery and started car which took several turns to light although once started, it ran fine with no lights whatsoever. Took a drive up to dealer to test drive a new Legacy my wife's been considering and ran about 40 miles of errands. Still no lights. Stopped for dinner and shortly after leaving, the lights came on although cruise was not being used at the time.

any suggestions before going to the dealer??

Thanks,
Motoretro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get the code read that caused the CEL to come on. Some auto parts stores such as Autozone do it for free.

His - 08 X Prem 5mt
Hers - 08 X 4EAT
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Check your Gas cap. If it is loose it can cause this to happen. Did with mine and a couple of others but they were MY09's. Not really sure about yours as you are in a MY06.

MY09 XT Limited AT
Satin White Pearl
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

After a trip to the dealer, the car was diagnosed with dead oxygen sensor. Estimate was $300.00 parts and labor. Seems more than a bit high. How much are these sensors?? How tough is it to replace them?

Motoretro
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5MT
Gallery: 11
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
hmmm my 04 the front one is behind a little door in the inner fender well, i bought my oem sensor about a year or so ago and installed it my self in about MAYBE an hour taking my time and not stressing. cost $200.00

04 XT 5mt
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Stealth,

I've checked the location out and looks a bit tough to reach without removing a bunch of stuff on 06. They both look like the road salt has done their work on them. Local parts dealer can't get the front one, only back one. Looks like the dealer will get this one

Motoretro

Last edited by motoretro; 10-22-2009 at 09:41 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Are the Oxygen sensors covered under 80K factory emissions warranty?

Thanks in advance,
Motoretro
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester
i had the same problem on my 07 forester, CEL and blinking cruise control light. anyways thats covered under warranty. 80k miles
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Tubby,
Thanks for the quick reply, So it is covered huh? Looks like i need to call SOA as I believe dealer is going to charge me....

Thanks,
Motoretro
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Unhappy

Quote:
Are the Oxygen sensors covered under 80K factory emissions warranty?
You might want to double check your car's warranty for your specific location. The oxygen sensor(s) in my '09 Forester registered in VA are covered by the 3 year / 36K mile Federal Emissions Defect Warranty.

According to my car's warranty, the only items covered by the extended 8/80 Federal warranty are: (1) the catalytic converter, (2) the engine control module, and (3) the "onboard emissions diagnostic device".

I'm sorry if this is bad news for you...

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

12 Forester 2.5X FB25 5MT Premium AWP PZEV
09 Forester 2.5X EJ25 5MT Premium AWP PZEV (sold 7/2011)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Crewzer,
Your 100% correct, the O2 Sensor appears to not be covered in the 80K emission warranty. Found it in my manual/warranty books.

Motoretro
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 AM

Car Model: Forester XT M/T
Here's a copy of what is and isn't covered under the EPA 8/80 warranty. It's a link directly from the EPA itemizing the various parts.

I too have a similar problem with my Forester ('04 XT M/T). I set the cruise control and the CEL comes on after a little while and it throws a code. I'm not sure which code it is, but I wager it's the P0420 and am going to check it when I go to Autozone.

The dealer (Feder's Subaru in Middletown, NY) has been surprisingly unhelpful with this. They replaced one O2 sensor already and the CEL went off again just two days later. The only thing they did the last time was reset the ECU and, naturally, the cruise failed again with CEL and blinking cruise light.

I'm getting a bit frustrated. I'm still under 80,000 miles so the catalytic converter is under warranty so if that's what's really going on then I'm going to tell them to replace the damn thing. I'm not happy with this situation.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I understand and feel your frustration. If my problem persists after the O2 Sensor is replaced, I'll also push for Converter replacement as I have just over 70K now. There seems to be a pattern here with no real definitive answer. I wonder if the newer Subes are plumbed the same way? We are looking at a new O/B and really don't need another problem child.

Motoretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_els View Post
Here's a copy of what is and isn't covered under the EPA 8/80 warranty. It's a link directly from the EPA itemizing the various parts.

I too have a similar problem with my Forester ('04 XT M/T). I set the cruise control and the CEL comes on after a little while and it throws a code. I'm not sure which code it is, but I wager it's the P0420 and am going to check it when I go to Autozone.

The dealer (Feder's Subaru in Middletown, NY) has been surprisingly unhelpful with this. They replaced one O2 sensor already and the CEL went off again just two days later. The only thing they did the last time was reset the ECU and, naturally, the cruise failed again with CEL and blinking cruise light.

I'm getting a bit frustrated. I'm still under 80,000 miles so the catalytic converter is under warranty so if that's what's really going on then I'm going to tell them to replace the damn thing. I'm not happy with this situation.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Car Model: Forester XT M/T
Thanks for the tea and sympathy!

I went in today and have an appointment for tomorrow. The service coordinator at Feder's is excellent (Maureen) and as soon as I mentioned P0420 she said, "Cat needs replacement." So I'll be bringing it in with 120 miles to go before 80k. At least it'll be documented that the problem happened before the warranty is out and hearing her say that made me feel better.

I saw the new OB today and it looks good. I'm going to go over it more thoroughly tomorrow while I'm waiting for the car to get done. I have to say that my car has been flawless except for this one problem and really, if this is the biggest issue I have, it's not too terrible given all the problems other people have with their cars. I really need AWD for my driveway and frequent trips upstate and into Canada and Vermont so I'm sticking with Subaru if I can. The new Foresters are simply too big for my needs and interests and since the Legacy isn't coming here in a wagon, that leaves me with an OB. I can't say I'm remotely ready to trade my car yet but may do so while this new OB model is current. I'll likely see what happens when the Forester after this current one is replaced.

I love my Forester dearly, more than any other car I've had. It's gotten me (when shod with 4 studded snows) where I'm going in the worst conditions. My greatest fear in bad weather is now simply other drivers. And the turbo is such a sleeper that it's a blast to drive on twisty roads. It's a great combination of fun and total practicality. I only wish they made it in a convertible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro View Post
I understand and feel your frustration. If my problem persists after the O2 Sensor is replaced, I'll also push for Converter replacement as I have just over 70K now. There seems to be a pattern here with no real definitive answer. I wonder if the newer Subes are plumbed the same way? We are looking at a new O/B and really don't need another problem child.

Motoretro

2004 Forester XT M/T

... and I love it!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
It looks like you've now gotten to the bottom of the problem and realized that it doesn't actually have anything to do with cruise control. But just to close off that aspect of things, shutting off cruise control and blinking its light is a defensive measure. It's intended to put the driver back in full command at a time when the engine might not be expected to perform in its normal fashion.

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.