(All Years) ac recharge - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: forester
Transmission: stick
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default ac recharge

ever since i bought my 2001 subaru forester the ac hasnt worked it has 136k miles on it and i was wondering if anyone has ever got the ac recharge can at autozone or some parts store, they are pretty pricey about 35$ so i would hate to get it and it not work, just wondering what you guys have to say if anyone has had luck with it and how much would i put in ? thanks.
burba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 99

Its likely your seals are shot if it hasn't operated for a while.

I am not a fan of these cans bc you are guaranteed to get air in in your charge and you don't know how much charge to put in.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Assuming you have a working system and don't have a leak, the bottle does work and it isn't difficult to do. You just need to ensure that the bottle you use has a gauge on it. Then before you begin, read the instructions thoroughly. Several times if you have to. I did it without help and had no prior experience. The process took me about 25 minutes and that was because I read the instructions at least 5 times and didn't rush through it.
kickin_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

How much did you put in? And yes I want to try it id rather blow 35 bucks and find out I have a leak rather then take to a shop and have them recharge it for over 100$ and find out I have a leak then... how would I know I have a leak you will hear it? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: Auto

When my AC stopped blowing cold air, I took my car to dealer and they recharged it and told me they could not find leak. ($200) In a few days, it stopped working again. Bought recharge kit + UV light and I can see it is leaking. Not sure why dealer missed it. By then I decide not to fix it. My reasoning was if it cost $200 to recharge, how much would it cost me to actually fix the leak?? I'd spend $35 and find out how long it lasts. If it lasts one year, that's not too bad.
mooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g

Once you find the leak. Let the refrigerent out. replace that segment thats leaking. Take it to a real shop that does ac repair and have them recharge it for $100. The stealership will ask too much and aren't pros at ac work.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by burba88 View Post
How much did you put in? And yes I want to try it id rather blow 35 bucks and find out I have a leak rather then take to a shop and have them recharge it for over 100$ and find out I have a leak then... how would I know I have a leak you will hear it? Thanks.
The guage indicated I only had 10 psi in the system when I initially hooked it up, and I probably only put in 1/2 of the bottle into the system. It just didn't need the whole bottle. And as an FYI, 10 psi isn't enough to engage the compressor. That's why I didn't get any cold air. So per the instructions with the car running and AC ON, I added a little bit to jump start the AC. From there, I squeezed a small amount of refrigerant at a time while paying attention to the gauge.

You'll know you have a leak when a) you hear the AC system hissing, or b) you notice the psi slowly decrease on the guage. As what mooo mentioned above, there are kits with the UV dye that allows you to see where the leak is at, but I didn't buy one because none of what was in stock had a gauge (Walmart).

I totally agree about how much some shops can charge for something you can do at home. Some shops are good, and some are bad. I've had good luck with a local shop where they didn't charge me for the leaked refrigerant they used on my old car (FXTi with an upgraded TMIC that rubbed through the metal AC line). They just told me to get the line replaced and then go back to them for the service. There are still shops like this around, you just need to find out which ones. ;)
kickin_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

OK cool well I guess ill give it a shot this week hopefully I have some luck and get some ac!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty