LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS malfunction

We got our first real snowfall here today. So I went out for a drive since I've never driven the car myself in the snow. Also, for the first time, I got to see how my ABS works.

As it engages I get a strange and loud crunching sound and the peddle does not sink to the floor. If I push harder on the peddle, it sinks a bit but I get a lot of uncomfortable crunching feedback. It feels really strange and like something is wrong... it also doesn't seem to stop very well.

Though i was going very slowly... probably 5 or 10 kph. Is that possibly normal behaviour for low speeds like that?

I quickly pulled a fuse under the dash that disabled the ABS.

Is my ABS broken?

'98 Forester S MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
Sounds normal on a slippery surface - which is why I disable ABS when offroad.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
www.subaruclub.com.au
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester L 5MT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
The pedal is not supposed to sink but rather to push back with a given frequency (~10-20 Hz), so "crunchy" pulsation does not sound much out of the ordinary. Dry some different (old-ish) car with ABS to see if your case is noticeably more severe/loud/etc.

And yes, it does not work well in your typical snowy/icy road because these primitive ABS systems are triggered by the wheel with least traction (i.e., just one wheel on ice == no braking at all). It is also severely detrimental (assuming you know how to brake without ABS in low traction conditions) on dirt/sand/gravel/snow(moderately deep).

It is primarily useful on wet tarmac/concrete on moderate to high speeds, or when something unexpected happens during your "routine" driving in rain/snow, giving you a little time to react while doing at least some braking without catastrophic loss of control due to overreacting with the brake pedal.

I suggest installing an easy to access switch that disables the ABS when [not] needed. I am glad I did.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester
I see... thanks for the replies

One day I should really try to engage the abs at a higher speed so that I know how it reacts. I've never experienced ABS in any car.

What is the preferred method of disabling the ABS? I'm not sure if this is related or not as I only noticed it after I pulled the fuse, but now when I shift into reverse the "door open" light comes on. Also the defroster light is always on and pushing the switch just seems to toggle the open door light. Very Bizarre.

'98 Forester S MT
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast View Post
1. What is the preferred method of disabling the ABS?

2. ... but now when I shift into reverse the "door open" light comes on. Also the defroster light is always on and pushing the switch just seems to toggle the open door light. Very Bizarre.
1. Splice a switch into most any of the ABS wires going to/from the fusebox. I cut and spliced in a relay which is then activated by a switch (cannot quite remember why I did it that why). Find a good location of the switch (I out mine next to the handbrake (MT) - very quick access.

2. Wiring issues. No quick solution here (unless there has been a collision or something, so you'd know where to look) - get a simple electronic multimeter, look at the wiring diagrams and test all the circuits that might be involved (continuity/resistance, cross-circuit resistance, voltage in places where it should not be, etc.). You might have to get under some panels/carpeting off to get the the right locations. Could also use a needle probe in some place, but be careful (biggest problem - getting through a wire and short-circuiting it to another one or ground).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forrester
Transmission: automatic
How can I turn the ABS idiot light off on my dash? Subaru read the code and said it was the control module and new it is 1300.00. I am wondering if it would be wise to investigate a used one. How can I get that dash idiot light off other then replacing the 1300 (thus far) part? I would apprciate any suggestiuons you might have , 2003 Subarub forester, Auto.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Removing the fuse (#22 did nothing to turn the idiot light off). Are there any other fuses that might turn the idiot light off?

Thank you for your help.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Forum Member

Remove corresponding light bulb from the instrument cluster.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 AM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
Stick a bit of duct tape over it! But, yes, do investigate replacing the module for your own safety.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
www.subaruclub.com.au
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: '03
Car Model: Fozzy
Transmission: Eat A Taco
I wouldn't suggest disabling ABS in an automatic car... In a manual, not as big of an issue...

Let me explain...

ABS is trying to get a stopped wheel moving... the ONLY means it has for this is by PUSHING you off the brake, until the wheel begins to move...

In a manual car, you can leave it in gear and/or downshift to use the drivetrain to get the wheels moving again... I've stopped in the snow in some insanely short distances by doing the "dance" .... in my manual Subie...

In an autotragic, there is FAR FAR less finite control of this... take your foot off the gas and the drivetrain goes LIMP... leaving nothing but the road surface to get those wheels spinning again... You can try feathering in gas, but it's a very "numb" feeling..

I just found out how numb it can be by nearly asspacking a truck yesterday... dove for the shoulder of the road to try and find some traction, finally got some and got it stopped... (frozen dirt roads, mostly ice)

Pucker factor of 12...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX View Post
In a manual car, you can leave it in gear and/or downshift to use the drivetrain to get the wheels moving again... I've stopped in the snow in some insanely short distances by doing the "dance" .... in my manual Subie... .
Problem though is time required to do this and also it won't insure the vehicle stays straight. I understand what you are doing though.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: '03
Car Model: Fozzy
Transmission: Eat A Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Problem though is time required to do this and also it won't insure the vehicle stays straight. I understand what you are doing though.
Do I need to put an "advanced driving" disclaimer in here?

I'm also talking about adverse conditions driving, snow, gravel, rain...ect..Mainly SNOW... . I wouldn't recomend bypassing the ABS for typical driving WHAT-SO-EVER..
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forrester
Transmission: automatic
Deduction implies the only way is to disable the bulb/light is by accessing via the dash removal? I will also look for a used control module? I understand the implications re safety but unlikely to put 1300 plus labor in a 2003 with 130,000 miles to aquire a new control module. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. It's a great vehicle and has served us well. Our second, I also had a 1980 suby wagon.

Thank you for trying to help.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why not look for a used one at a salvage yard?

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

I would expect to pay $50-$200 and most should offer some type of 10, 30.... day warranty.

His - 08 X Prem 5mt
Hers - 08 X 4EAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.