('14+) ABS, Dynamic Control, and Hill assist all light up on new forester - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS, Dynamic Control, and Hill assist all light up on new forester

Hello,

I very recently bought a brand new 2014 subaru forester. This is actually my second forester.

Almost a dozen times i have had the following issue:
The vehicle dynamic control, ABS, and hill assist buttons all light up.

The lights stay on until i turn the car off, then when i turn it on again they are off. But i see or hear no changes in the car.

This has happened probably 12 times in the last 2.5 months that i've had the car. I have brought it in to two different subaru dealerships and they both said the computer test showed nothing.

Please help!

P.S.- is it normal for the hill assist light to be lit up for 60-65% of the time i am driving? Even on flat roads (i do most of my travel on the garden state parkway in NJ)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Transmission: 6 spd
Probably a loose connector. Intermittant electrical issues are extrememly difficult to troubleshoot. It would involve tracing and checking every wire involved.

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lightbulb

Mike,

This looks like a vehicle electrical system problem to me. Specifically, the battery, the alternator, and/or the voltage regulator -- or their electrical connections -- may may to blame. The 2014 owner's manual makes a vague reference to this behavior on page 3-19.

It could even be something as simple as a loose/bad common (ground) connection, or some other connector. The ABS, VDC, and Hill Assist systems are all inter-related.

My recommendation is that you document the operational conditions and the indications (including pulling over and taking a picture) and then discuss the problem with your dealer. Rather than looking for diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) via the OBD-II port, they probably should be checking the electrical system.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

15 Highlander XLE AWD
12 Forester (sold)
09 Forester (sold)
06 BMW 530xi wagon
00 Ford F250

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up guys. Is this something that can cause further issues if left unchecked? Or is this more of an inconvenience?

Also should my hill assist light be lit up the majority of the time? Seems like it's on a bit more than it should be.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 328i xDrive Wagon
Transmission: 8 spd Auto
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I agree with Crewzer they should be actually looking at the wiring and connectors vs. just trying to pull codes.

Is yours a manual Forester? I don't think I've ever seen a Hill Assist light on my XT.

Larry D
2014 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon
Until I Retire - then its back to Subaru
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation

Among other things, the ABS indicator usually means that the ABS system has been disabled, but the "regular ol'" braking system should still work. I suspect the VDC- and Hill Start functions are also disabled when their indicators are on.

The Hill Start indicator should normally be off; see 2014 OM page 3-20. Personally, I consider the loss of these features to more than an inconvenience.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

15 Highlander XLE AWD
12 Forester (sold)
09 Forester (sold)
06 BMW 530xi wagon
00 Ford F250
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Guys i really appreciate the insight. There is no noticeable change with the car when they come on it's just a headache for me since i just spent $25k on a brand new car. And my forester is actually the automatic. I swear the hill assist is on about 60-65% of the time...
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

So guys i have an update. The lights have been going on more and more. Took it to the dealership today (and lucky me they went on before i got there). They hooked it up to a computer and got the code C1532 BLS which they said has something to do with the brake light system.

The guy asked me things like do i drive with two feet and do i have extra floor mats...

They said they couldn't do anything before Monday because they have to run it by the factory or something and they're closed today. So i got a loaner car.

Funny thing, on my way back the hill assist light (that on my car is lit up the majority of the time did not light up once). And i told them to keep an eye on that as well.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: 6 spd
All the instrument clusters are the same, so both auto and manual cars get all the many and varied warning lights. What's different is which of them is hooked up. Let me rephrase that: What may be different is which of them is hooked up.

I don't have my owners manual handy, but I really don't see a need for a hill holder function on an auto. I can't recall if the manual is specific as to if the hill holder actually works on an auto.

In any case, I expect your issue will be in a connector or ground. While I feel your sense of violation, this is generally a really, really minor fault. It's not like your crankshaft is going to fall out. It may, however, turn into something of a bear to locate-I had an electrical problem in a Ford once, the engine wiring harness was out of the car three times without finding the problem. We found the cause of that problem by accident, that taught me to never, ever trust a connector.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

moore thanks for the words of advice. Like i said thankfully this time they found the problem (i took it to them and a dealership close to work the first time it happened) and they weren't able to find anything because the lights were not on. At least this time they got the codes and know what the issue is.

This is my first new car and like with anything new- especially when you pay over $20k for it you're a bit uneasy when even minor things start malfunctioning shortly after you bring it home.

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: CTV
I had three warning lights come on at the same time including the ABS light. Had it towed back to the dealership (just in case, there was a problem) and it turned out to be a control switch that needed replacing (thankfully, under warranty). Problem solved.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: impreza
Transmission: manual
Thumbs up Thanks

Mike et al,
Thanks for your input. I recently started having the same problem with my '09 manual impreza. I'll check it out.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: forester
have a 2015 forester same lights came on..took it in a few days ago, they said it was a brake light switch that failed, they replaced the switch, seem to be fine so far
Change_agent likes this.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
Transmission: CVT
Mine is automatic, and I never get any lights at all that come on and stay on (except a CEL once for a loose gas cap). In fact, I don't think the automatics even have hill assist ... no reason for it ... just the manuals. Maybe it was wired wrong from the factory?
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5I Prem
Bump/more issues

Having the same problem as listed in the beginning... was there ever a permanent fix? They did a software update and replaced the switch on mine, but now the hill start assist light comes on only in the morning and stays on for most of my morning commute...stores no codes etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode