User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 4EAT
98 Forester Overheating

Does anyone have/know where to get a repair manual for the 98 Forester, I have looked for one and cannot locate a complete comprehensive repair manual for a 98.

My problem is this, yesterday I was driving my car on the interstate, I looked down and noticed it was pegged out on FULL RED HOT.. I hate it but I dont know how long it was running that hot- I pulled off the road and sat on the side of the road for 15-20 mins, I was a few miles from an exit so I drove a little further and it got hot again but not all the way pegged out. So I shut it down and cooled down, 15 mins later I got to the exit, walked to a gas station and got a gallon of water, put it in, was able to drive about a mile before it got about 90% to the HOT - stopped again, let it sit for 20 mins, started it back up and drove it 12 miles and it never got above normal temps.. got home sat in the driveway idling for 10 mins it never got above normal temps.

Could it be that the themostat just didn't open up, maybe the water pump didn't engage or what? What are the signs of a bad head gasket? My car has about 138k on it, I bought it used and do not think the HG was replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Forester_98 View Post
Does anyone have/know where to get a repair manual for the 98 Forester, I have looked for one and cannot locate a complete comprehensive repair manual for a 98........
Subaru Technical Information System - Welcome

His - 08 X Prem 5mt
Hers - 08 X 4EAT
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flstffxe View Post
with a subscription can I print this manual or does it all have to be online?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
FSM

You'll need to spend lots of time downloading individual files in PDF format that can be printed.

Now for the really bad news, if you search on here and over on USMB you'll see that the overheating is a common symptom of failed head gaskets on your DOHC EJ25. Look in your coolant overflow / reservoir tank for an oily residue or bubbles while the car is running - tell-tale signs.

If you're lucky and only overheated 1-2 your engine may be OK. If not, you should do either a 2.2 swap or get another 2.5. Once they get hot, the bearings tend to get brittle and you'll be hearing (or seeing!) a rod knock - not cool after you've dumped $1500+ into a head gasket job.

GL,

Pm'd.
Td

'98 S-Sold
'04 FXT-SOLD
'93 SS-SOLD
'02 GG
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Well, i just checked the overflow tank.. the walls are lined with black...oil i assume.. how long before this thing blows up for good?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Forum Member

Like I stated....fix it now - HG, head resurface, valve adjust - b4 it overheats again and you may get lucky for another 100K. Wait and you'll be replacing the block, too.

Td

'98 S-Sold
'04 FXT-SOLD
'93 SS-SOLD
'02 GG
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester S
Transmission: Auto
I replaced my head gaskets and mine is doing the same thing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I was looking on ebay, can get a used jdm 2.5 dohc with 45k shipped to the house for $1199.. my brother in law and I can probably do the swap, swapped a civic motor out in 2003. I am thinking about just going that route, that way I do not have to worry about if something else got messed up in the overheating, it could have been pegged out on H for 10 miles or more.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
I was looking on ebay, can get a used jdm 2.5 dohc with 45k shipped to the house for $1199.. my brother in law and I can probably do the swap, swapped a civic motor out in 2003. I am thinking about just going that route, that way I do not have to worry about if something else got messed up in the overheating, it could have been pegged out on H for 10 miles or more.
You should do the HG before you install it and you'll have to deal w/the lack of EGR on the driver's side head. You'll use your intake manifold, too.

Seriously, if you're going to do a swap check out the EJ22 from a Legacy. Go look on the USMB site for more info, or search here. The '95 is a direct swap (last EJ22 w/dual-port heads), except for a few vac lines. Make sure it's out of AT so it'll have the EGR valve, and they are usually $500 or so.

check out http://car-part.com/ for engines in your area.

EX:
Engine
Subaru Legacy 1-95,AT,EFI,ATOD,L 64,000 A BB2231 $650 Tarheel Auto Parts USA-NC(Kinston) Request_Quote 1-800-682-8806 Request_Insurance_Quote

Td

'98 S-Sold
'04 FXT-SOLD
'93 SS-SOLD
'02 GG
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester S
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
You most likely will be be trading one headache for another. I think if one of these 98-00s go south you just sell it for parts and move on. Especially the 98's with the DOHC. Apparently all Subaru Forester motors are crap before 2003(?). If you are going to try to keep it get a rebuilt motor from a reputable shop. Otherwise you will have many sleepless nights. Like me. Still angry at the guy who dumped it on stupid, gullible old me.

At the advice of my repair shop I Spent the $2K on the HG. "It'll be good for another 100K!" Famous last words. My car still overheats, I have valve clatter and rod knock when it starts. And oil leaks that cannot be fixed. So all in all I have $6,500 in my Foz and its probably worth $1,000 if it stays running long enough. Learn from my mistake(s). My Foz is in the shop more Than I have had it since I owned it.

I am cured of the Subaru itch forever. The last time it let go I was in a very bad part of the city and I waited for hours for a flatbed. Neither my wife or three daughters will get in the car. They are cured too. Who can blame them.

Even my two dogs hesitate to jump in after the flat bed incident. :-)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdash View Post
You should do the HG before you install it and you'll have to deal w/the lack of EGR on the driver's side head. You'll use your intake manifold, too.

Seriously, if you're going to do a swap check out the EJ22 from a Legacy. Go look on the USMB site for more info, or search here. The '95 is a direct swap (last EJ22 w/dual-port heads), except for a few vac lines. Make sure it's out of AT so it'll have the EGR valve, and they are usually $500 or so.

Td
If I go the JDM 2.5 DOHC method you suggest swapping out the HG before installing? I can understand that reasoning, although I may swap the engine out, sell it and move on. I will put 1,200 in a car that I can drive up to the mountains of NC where these things sell like hot cakes and sell it for $4,500-5,000 all day long..

will the lack of EGR cause any major issues? is the intake manifold swap pretty straight forward?

OR with this 2.2 swap will the electronics work with the OBD II since it is a pre '96 engine? Cause that is about half the price, is there any literature about the vacuum lines that will need to be added??deleted??
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
If I go the JDM 2.5 DOHC method you suggest swapping out the HG before installing?
YES...Same engine same issues.

Quote:
will the lack of EGR cause any major issues?
Major issues? CEL on all the time.

Quote:
is the intake manifold swap pretty straight forward?
IM swap is easy out of the car - just tedious w/the wires and stuff - get new gaskets.

Quote:
OR with this 2.2 swap will the electronics work with the OBD II since it is a pre '96 engine?
Subaru went to OBD2 on the EJ22 in '95 - ensure it's from an Automatic to get the EGR.

Quote:
Cause that is about half the price, is there any literature about the vacuum lines that will need to be added??deleted??
Please do your research....USMB has a bunch of info and probably a thread on exactly what's needed. I've not done it for a for a couple of years and probably will forget somethng.

Now, go read up!

'98 S-Sold
'04 FXT-SOLD
'93 SS-SOLD
'02 GG
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

What is the cut off year for bad Head Gaskets? As in when did they get this issue figured out and what would be a safe year to buy?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
What is the cut off year for bad Head Gaskets? As in when did they get this issue figured out and what would be a safe year to buy?
You're limited to '96-'99 EJ25 DOHC engines (or EJ22). '99 MUST be from a Legacy OB/GT as the Foz went to EJ25 SOHC in '99.

And they all have issues during those years. There all subject to HG failure.

You can't easily use anything newer - wiring is different and they used a MAP-based system vs. your MAF-based - not interchangeable. And Subaru didn't figure out the HG 'til......???

You could use the short-block from the newer stuff, but you're still doing the head gaskets anyway.

Td

'98 S-Sold
'04 FXT-SOLD
'93 SS-SOLD
'02 GG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.