98 Forester OBD2 Drive Cycle? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester
98 Forester OBD2 Drive Cycle?

Can anyone tell me where to find the OBD2 Drive Cycle for my 98 Forester?

About three weeks ago I spent time in my Forester with the A/C on, trying to get cool on a 100+ degree day. After several cool of visits, my car started idling badly and popped back a few times. That is when the engine light came on. What is also when I notices that my car was due for the annual emissions inspection. I took it for a drive and blew out the the carbon and it is back to running great as always. I figured the CEL would reset it's self after a period of normal driving.

After a week, the MIL was still lit, so I bought an ODB2 tester and found that the CEL was from a back fire (no big surprise). But apparently those do not clear themselves, so I did a manual reset.

Now I have been driving for several days, and there are still two systems that have not completed their test cycles; the Catalytic Converter, and the Evap. system. I need to get my car emissions tested so I don't get a ticket. Does anyone know where I can find the OBD2 Drive Cycle for my 98 Forester? I have tries searching for it but can't seem to find it.
Thanks, Scott

Last edited by t5800512; 08-09-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Bold the title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester L 5MT
Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Forum Member

Have you checked w/ emissions station? I thought you could get a check w/ one incomplete test.

I don't know the cycle, but have observed that it can take quite a while to complete the catalytic converter test.

good luck

See you down the ROW!
1999 Subaru Forester
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Car Model: Forester
Last year I replaced a sensor and had AutoZone clear the ECU codes before I took it in for inspection. They gave me a hard time at the inspection station because I had a couple systems that has not completed the testing cycle. I believe they thought I was trying to beat the system or something. I was trying to avoid that this year.

I still have two incomplete tests. I was kind of hoping that someone would know what driving conditions the Catalytic Converter, and the Evap. system test require. It is definitely different that what I'm doing driving back and forth to work.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
This should be it:

Subarus drive cycle to reset all monitors to a ready state.

Subaru recommends the following conditions and drive cycle to get the monitors on its vehicles completed in the shortest amount of time:

1. Make sure the fuel tank is between one-quarter and three-quarters full; half a tank is ideal.

2. Start the engine and immediately drive the vehicle for at least 15 minutes at a speed greater than 50 mph. During the warm up, try to avoid sudden acceleration, hard braking and/or lane changes.

3. Drive the vehicle at a steady 55 mph for three more minutes. During this stage of the drive cycle, it's crucial that you keep throttle angle changes to a minimum.

4. Bring the vehicle back to the shop, hook up the scan tool and look at the status of the readiness monitors. Repeat the drive cycle, if necessary."

His - 08 X Prem 5mt
Hers - 08 X 4EAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.