98 Forester CV Boot Replacement - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 98 Forester CV Boot Replacement

Hi everybody

While puttering around in the engine bay this afternoon I happened to notice that my inboard right front CV boot is cracked. It hasn't started to make any noise so I'm guessing that I might be able to simply replace the boot. I've replaced a CV shaft once before on an older Honda Accord, is it going to be basically the same deal for the Forester? Am I going to have to drain the transmission fluid? I was about to put in some Redline Heavy Shockproof oil one of these days so that's not so much of a big deal for me.

The Subaru dealership nearest me said the grease for the joint will be $20. I'm not too experienced but doesn't that sound a bit expensive for grease? Is there anything fanastic about this Subaru Grease? What do you guys think?
nast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2006, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

No need to drain the differental. Not a bad job. Go to www.endwrench.com for pictures and step by step. I did go for an OEM boot & grease although any high quality joint grease for CVs should do. Do go with the OEM boot. Ed
Old 08-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rx
Forum Member

pretty straight forward ... as mentioned , no need to drain ANY fluids . Remove old booth and install new one ...should take about 35 mins
Old 08-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

It took me about 2 hours but, then I cleaned all the old grease out and relubed the joint. The most dificult thing was getting the metal boot straps tight and locked. A strap tool would have been nice. As recomended use a NEW axel nut and torque to ~125 foot pounds.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Alright, thanks for all the information so far. That endwrench site is pretty snazzy and that cv boot replacement guide is good.

Right now I just got the CV shaft out of the wheel bearing and I'm going to call it a night. It was extremely difficult. The hub puller that I borrowed doesn't fit the wheel studs quite perfectly and it was hard to get the nuts down far enough. It would seem that the black grease that is inside the wheel bearing/housing dried inside on the end of the CV shaft (what exactly is the end of the CV shaft called anyhow?). It was terrible. Does anyone know what this black grease is called? I'm going to go out to get some of this grease tomorrow so I can clean it up around there and put in some new grease.

Also, should I even bother using this grease if it's just going to dry up in there? Is there a better kind of grease that can be used?

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

The grease is highly moly fortified and should be black. If it is brownish then water has mixed in like mine was. Clean out the old grease and keep the parts in order. Repack with new grease for CV joints.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhayes
The grease is highly moly fortified and should be black. If it is brownish then water has mixed in like mine was. Clean out the old grease and keep the parts in order. Repack with new grease for CV joints.

Hm. I asked the guy at my local parts store what kind of grease he thought it was (the Subaru parts and service departments were closed on sunday) and he said that it was grease that had been overheated. So I cleaned it out a little bit around the edges where dirt had gotten and put in some white bearing grease. I hope the two greases are compatible. I suppose we'll know for sure soon enough!

I ended up getting the Subaru grease to repack the CV joint. The straps had me a little bit confused however, the ones on the inboard side are not the same as the ones on the outboard. As far as I can tell you can't really pinch them like you would the conventional style straps. The straps that I got also weren't exactly the same as the ones that came on the car. It's my guess that you're supposed to thread the strap through a loop once or twice and then pull it back and use metal glue to secure it. The straps that came with the car also used metal glue. I don't have any metal glue and the guy at the parts store didn't know what I was talking about so I just pulled the straps back and flattened it with a hammer. I'll have to check up on it every once in a while to see what happens.
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty