30,000 mile service - service quotes - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Chaosbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 155
Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester X
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
30,000 mile service - service quotes

Hi forum,

I'm at 26k, and I've gotten a few quotes for the 30k service.

One dealership (Carter) said the service would be $600.00 + tax
A Subie repair shop (Smart Service) said $560.00 + tax

Do these prices seem inflated, or are they on par?

Has anyone done this work themselves? Are there any special tools that I would need to do the work myself? I'm not totally green as a wrench, but I'm limited to off the shelf tools, and a driveway work area.

2007 X w/ 4EAT

As always, I appreciate the feedback and advice.
Chaosbound is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
aka BooCakes
 
illmannered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Cali
Posts: 1,954
Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Carlsen Subaru(Redwood City, CA) is $850.00 or somewhere in that ballpark.

MY08 XT LMTD 5MT
Looks like granola, hits like a HAMMER - Forester Owner
illmannered is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Dan
Contributing Member
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: La Crosse area, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,731
Car Year: 12
Car Model: Premium
Transmission: 5-speed
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Take a peek at the Subaru recommended schedule and see how much extra stuff the dealer is packing on.

SHIFT_to_Subaru
'12 Forester, 5spd - hers
'08 Legacy SE, 5spd - hers
'09 OB SE, 5spd - mine
Dan is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
 
adc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Elizabethtown, Pa.
Posts: 11,375
Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I keep up with everything so changing the plugs should be about it. I just can't see spending that kind of money unless you have zero mechanical aptitude or no place to do it (and its wintertime)

Hmmm..forgot about the fuel filter.

Be careful what you wish for.
adc is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member
 
toysbyus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,936
Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I NEVER go to the Subie dealer for the services....mostly check, inspect, and nothing more. Look at the suggested services in your owner's manual and do whatever you can do yourself.

I do my own oil and air filters but take the car to an independent shop for the rest.......I don't have the right tools and patience to do the spark plugs and valves, etc.....dealer service is how car dealers make their money NOT selling the cars......

The only possible reason to "develop a relationship" with dealers is in case you have a problem like head gaskets that you might need a decent dealer to back you up on.......but is it worth thousands of additional dollars in non mechanical-work?


Steve

2003 X AT
toysbyus is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Chaosbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 155
Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester X
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll do the work myself after all.
Chaosbound is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Forum Member
 
dbaldock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 422
Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile

Well, today was the day for the 30,000 Mile Service on my 2007 Forester 2.5X 4EAT. I had checked around and found a local shop that uses AMSOIL, and has a Technician with Subaru experience. Since they don't stock the AMSOIL Filters, I ordered the Oil & Air Filters from (Supporting Vendor) Chuck - AMSOIL Twin Port Sales. He also had a good price on the NGK Spark Plugs I wanted to use.

So, with me supplying these items:
A) Subaru Oil Plug Crush Ring - ~USD$1
B) AMSOIL EAO12 Oil Filter - ~USD$13
C) AMSOIL EAA74 Air Filter - ~USD$26
D) NGK Spark Plugs - ~USD$31

The regular items that the Subaru "Maintenance Schedules" says to perform were done:
1) Change Oil & Filter - had them use AMSOIL Synthetic Oil & the AMSOIL EAO12 Oil Filter
2) Rotate Tires & Check Tire Pressure
3) Change Air Filter - had them use the AMSOIL EAA74 Air Filter
4) Drain, flush, and refill Coolant System
5) They also did what they call, "Perform 18 Point Inspection." as part of the Change Oil & Filter service

I had them go ahead and replace a few items that are listed as Inspect on the Subaru "Maintenance Schedules":
6) Sparks Plugs - had new NGK Spark Plugs installed
7) Automatic Transmission Fluid - had them drain, flush, and refill with AMSOIL Synthetic ATF
8) Front & Rear Differential Gear Lube - had them drain, flush, and refill with AMSOIL Synthetic Gear Lube

Out of all of these items - #8 was the highest Labor cost; and then the combination they called Maintenance Tune (Replace Spark Plugs, Air Filter, Clean Air Box, and Calibrate Engine on Analyzer); while the Coolant System and Transmission Flushes were the same; and the Oil Change was the least amount of Labor cost.

Total for Labor ~USD$365
Total for Fluids ~USD$223
Total for Parts ~USD$77
Total for All w/Tax ~USD$682

If I had chosen to use standard replacement Fluids & Filters, it would have been cheaper for materials, but the Labor costs would have been the same. So, considering that I had additional work done, used AMSOIL Oils and Filters, I think USD$682 was a reasonable total. I probably could have done a lot of these things myself, and saved on the Labor costs, but I live in an Apartment, and don't work on my car in the parking lot.


Take Care,
David Baldock

2007 Crystal Gray Forester 2.5X 4EAT
dbaldock9 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Forum Member
 
MoxoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 446
Car Year: 2006
Car Model: X Premium
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The 30k maintenance is pretty easy and inexpensive and can be done with a minimal set of tools and expertise.
Parts and supplies for oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plug and brake fluid change will run you just under $60.
Coolant change, is about $60 if done at the dealership.
These are NYC prices so YMMV.

The items I listed are based on Subaru's recommendations found here:SUBARU.COM : OWNERS : SCHEDULES: include/2007myfed.html
MoxoM is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Forum Member
 
john16v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 162
Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah shop around, I wouldn't bring it to the dealership myself. I just had my 30k tune up. I got all the necessary parts from the dealer (club member get 20% off) the parts total came to $81.06. Then I found a local repair shop (which the mechanic use to work at a Subaru dealership for over 20yrs.) and the cost for the 30k maintenance was $240 w/ tax.

I know to some it might still be expensive but that is the price you have to pay if you know absolutely nothing about car...like me I mean a Forester.

Good luck
john16v is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 2,039
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 328i xDrive Wagon
Transmission: 8 spd Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I wonder how much they get for just the fuel filter....

I don't think moving it to the gas tank was the best idea I've ever seen. Stupidest maybe, but not the best. Unless of course you're the dealer, they must be loving that one.

At 30k on our OBW's I'll be letting them do the coolant, the plugs, and the fuel filter.

And not that I don't have absolute faith in them but how would I ever check to see they actually did it?

AAaaaarrrggghhh.

Larry D
2014 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon
Until I Retire - then its back to Subaru
lfdal is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Forum Member
 
AlleyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire, U.S.A
Posts: 1,372
Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5-Gear Manual
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdal View Post



At 30k on our OBW's I'll be letting them do the coolant, the plugs, and the fuel filter.



AAaaaarrrggghhh.
Why coolant at 30K? I see on 09 it has long life for 100K + miles does the 07 have std coolant?
-Alleycat's hubby
AlleyCat is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 2,039
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 328i xDrive Wagon
Transmission: 8 spd Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat View Post
Why coolant at 30K? I see on 09 it has long life for 100K + miles does the 07 have std coolant?
-Alleycat's hubby
Ours are both 08's, so I bought one model year too soon.

I'm more concerned with the fuel filter. I really miss the old style.

Larry D
2014 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon
Until I Retire - then its back to Subaru
lfdal is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Forum Member
 
funkymonkey1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,013
Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldock9 View Post
Well, today was the day for the 30,000 Mile Service on my 2007 Forester 2.5X 4EAT. I had checked around and found a local shop that uses AMSOIL, and has a Technician with Subaru experience. Since they don't stock the AMSOIL Filters, I ordered the Oil & Air Filters from (Supporting Vendor) Chuck - AMSOIL Twin Port Sales. He also had a good price on the NGK Spark Plugs I wanted to use.

So, with me supplying these items:
A) Subaru Oil Plug Crush Ring - ~USD$1
B) AMSOIL EAO12 Oil Filter - ~USD$13
C) AMSOIL EAA74 Air Filter - ~USD$26
D) NGK Spark Plugs - ~USD$31

The regular items that the Subaru "Maintenance Schedules" says to perform were done:
1) Change Oil & Filter - had them use AMSOIL Synthetic Oil & the AMSOIL EAO12 Oil Filter
2) Rotate Tires & Check Tire Pressure
3) Change Air Filter - had them use the AMSOIL EAA74 Air Filter
4) Drain, flush, and refill Coolant System
5) They also did what they call, "Perform 18 Point Inspection." as part of the Change Oil & Filter service

I had them go ahead and replace a few items that are listed as Inspect on the Subaru "Maintenance Schedules":
6) Sparks Plugs - had new NGK Spark Plugs installed
7) Automatic Transmission Fluid - had them drain, flush, and refill with AMSOIL Synthetic ATF
8) Front & Rear Differential Gear Lube - had them drain, flush, and refill with AMSOIL Synthetic Gear Lube

Out of all of these items - #8 was the highest Labor cost; and then the combination they called Maintenance Tune (Replace Spark Plugs, Air Filter, Clean Air Box, and Calibrate Engine on Analyzer); while the Coolant System and Transmission Flushes were the same; and the Oil Change was the least amount of Labor cost.

Total for Labor ~USD$365
Total for Fluids ~USD$223
Total for Parts ~USD$77
Total for All w/Tax ~USD$682

If I had chosen to use standard replacement Fluids & Filters, it would have been cheaper for materials, but the Labor costs would have been the same. So, considering that I had additional work done, used AMSOIL Oils and Filters, I think USD$682 was a reasonable total. I probably could have done a lot of these things myself, and saved on the Labor costs, but I live in an Apartment, and don't work on my car in the parking lot.


Take Care,
David Baldock
Why did #8 cost the most, thats possibly the easiest thing on there to do. Also that "calibrate engine on analyzer" is a ton of BS.

My local dealer charges about $350 for their full 30k service (no spark plugs done on XT), around 600-800 for the 60k service (includes iridium spark plugs on XT plus a few other services) 800 is if you add on all their additional bs like "fuel system cleaning" etc.

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
funkymonkey1002 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Forum Member
 
dbaldock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 422
Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey1002 View Post
Why did #8 cost the most, thats possibly the easiest thing on there to do. Also that "calibrate engine on analyzer" is a ton of BS.

My local dealer charges about $350 for their full 30k service (no spark plugs done on XT), around 600-800 for the 60k service (includes iridium spark plugs on XT plus a few other services) 800 is if you add on all their additional bs like "fuel system cleaning" etc.
I don't know why the different Labor Items are charged the way they are. Yeah, I figured that the "calibrate engine on analyzer" was more a marketing phrase than an actual service item. But, after the Tune Up the car now starts immediately upon turning the ignition key, rather than having to crank for a few seconds.

I used this shop because they stock/use AMSOIL Fluids, and they have a reputation in the area for doing good service. The local Subaru Dealer (McRee Ford/Subaru) closed their Subaru division at the end November, 2008. The nearest Subaru dealer is now 33 miles away in South-West Houston, and I doubt they offer courtesy rides all the way back over to where I live/work (and none of my co-workers live over on that side of town).


Take Care,
David Baldock

2007 Crystal Gray Forester 2.5X 4EAT
dbaldock9 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Forum Member
 
AlleyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire, U.S.A
Posts: 1,372
Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5-Gear Manual
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel filter at 30K? If you put high miles, I would expect you could go 3 year/60K no prob. This must be an Aircraft carryover - you dont want the engine to sputter at 10,000 feet. - the cat hubby
AlleyCat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome