Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2016 2.5i Service Manual Question

('14-'18) 
10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dick Czmowski 
#1 · (Edited)
Subaru Technical Information System questions

I've been considering purchasing the 3 day access to the Subaru Technical Information System so I can download the official instructions on routine maintenance items. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping the brain trust on here can help me out with.

1. I noticed that there isn't a complete service manual for MY2016. Is this because it is the same as MY2015? Will Subaru not publish a specific MY2016 service manual?
  2. Has anyone downloaded the preventative maintenance documents? Are they easy to follow with pictures, exploded diagrams, tool lists and text instructions?

I'm a pretty fair hand at following service manuals and instructions to the letter; I had been a service technician for electronic / electromechanical equipment for many years. The routine maintenance items seem pretty straightforward and there is a plethora of information available on this site, youtube and the web in general, but I'd like to have the "official Subaru" instructions so I know I'm doing everything by the book, with the correct parts and tools.

Any thoughts on this?

Much appreciated! :grin2:

StanF.

See less See more
#2 ·
MY2016 FSM Amazingly Easy!

Ok, I bit the bullet and purchased the 3 day subscription tonight. About 3 hours ago actually. I had been wondering how easy it would be to access the MY2016 Factory Service Manual. I had researched and read the threads on how to setup these complicated scripts to download the individual pages and I was afraid that I was going to waste my time and money. Boy, was I WRONG!! :surprise:

The MY2016 and MY2017 Service manuals are completely different than the previous years. I was able to download the entire manual in less than three hours. The STIS system let me print each chapter as a complete section. I have a PDF print driver on my Win 7 computer, so I just printed each chapter to its own PDF. I was able to save every section of the service manual and even the diagnostics manuals. There were no page limits, the engine diagnostics manual was over 800 pages and I saved it as a single PDF file. The system was kind of slow at times, and the large sections took a few minutes to load. The only one that is still giving me trouble is the wiring section. This section must be super sized because it crashes my chrome browser with an out of memory error (and I have 16 gigs of RAM). I'll figure it out somehow...

So, bottom line is that for just $35 dollars and a couple of hours worth of your time, you can very quickly and easily download the entire FSM and Diagnostics manuals. I would highly recommend it.

For those of you with older model years, it's not so simple. The previous FSM's are way different and it doesn't appear to work the same way. Sorry :crying:

Now, to answer my own question when I started this thread: Yes! The manuals are very easy to follow with clear step-by-step instructions and diagrams to help you out. There are hyperlinks throughout the PDF's that take you to different sections. Very easy to navigate and understand. I am so glad I decided to buy the subscription. Now, I'm going to play around on the site for the next three days for fun :banana:

StanF.

#3 ·
That sounds great totally jealous. I wonder if Subaru could redo their older manuals to this apparently much better format because it was pretty ridiculous! I didn't do the script thing, thinking about it just gave me a headache so I just downloaded as many pages/chapters I could that I thought I might have use for in the future during the 3 day window. Fortunately I haven't needed too many other service pages over time. To be frank I think Subaru's FSM for my model year isn't particularly well done with very basic line drawings & instructions. Thank god for the web, youtube, forums like this and folks who share their FSM pages to fill in gaps.

#4 ·
torq values

kōbai-iro;6539706 said:
That sounds great totally jealous. I wonder if Subaru could redo their older manuals to this apparently much better format because it was pretty ridiculous! I didn't do the script thing, thinking about it just gave me a headache so I just downloaded as many pages/chapters I could that I thought I might have use for in the future during the 3 day window. Fortunately I haven't needed too many other service pages over time. To be frank I think Subaru's FSM for my model year isn't particularly well done with very basic line drawings & instructions. Thank god for the web, youtube, forums like this and folks who share their FSM pages to fill in gaps.
I would like the torque value of the oil drain bolt. And does the transmission on my 2016 Forester (2.5) have a dipstick. DC

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.